Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #141

Vintage RV Owners Club
More problems!! Now the radiator decided to leak today!! It is cracking around the neck and also looked like the seam might be leaking too! I have a new one coming Tuesday, so that well be done. It was a lot cooler yesterday and we drove up to the DMV the other day and it was cool as can be! It started to get a little warm when we were coming up out of ORO Valley! When we got here it was right at the line that means shut done or really be shut down!! Anyway I got the hood open and I could see it leaking. It was hot enough to evaporate the anti-freeze before it could show on the ground. It was one of those sneaky leaks! I was thinking about changing it anyway, so now it will and it didn't get hot enough to hurt the motor.
I went down and got a two-part urethane that was recommended by the body man. He said that it will flex with the fylon that these are made out of! I am going out this evening to sand off the rest of that bondo and try the urethane and see what it looks like tomorrow. I hope this works. Will check in later, Capt.Dan

Just a note to tell ya the urethane works!!! I also did some of the painting this evening. From what I could see it looked great! I should be able to finish the body work tomorrow and maybe if there are no storms heading our way, I may paint again tomorrow evening!! I will get pictures and all tomorrow too! Thats it, Later, Capt.Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #142

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just a update. Not working today as I have a migraine headache! I don't get as often as I used to but when I do, UGH!!! Light seems to make it worse. I did get some pictures of the paint and the body work being done. I hope I feel better tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #143

Vintage RV Owners Club
This week went two days backwards! Last night the a/c fan motor crapped out and today I didn't have use of my truck as it was waiting for a radiator. Had friend take me down and got another fan motor and got the radiator too! Got he fan installed and I got fan...No a/c!! took the starter down and got another and right now....I have a/c! This unit was only five years old?? Guess they don't make them like they used to?!
Tomorrow, if things can get somewhat back to normal, I need to get the hoses measured to fit the new a/c in the engine compartment and take that to town and get it all fitted with crimped fittings and a new receiver/dryer. Hope to have it back so I can put it together by Friday.I am waiting for that and I am taking the coach to my friends home and will be able to weld the exhaust pipes and the new steps, and a couple of other things.I also want to flush the brakes out and run new fluid in. I'd love for the plan to work,But I;m not holding my breath!!

I did get the radiator installed and it works ok so Thats done! If I can get things back on schedule and I can get the things done I need to get done. I can turn this week around! Still have the painting to finish and the spot putty to finish and the a/c..and the awning next week..and ...
Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #144

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, Not getting any better yet! The compressor is giving me a fit! Sorry about the pun! I had to cut the mounting bracket so I could clear the left valve cover. Now we finally get the rain storm and the electric is out,but the generator works great! They say we are getting up to 70 mph winds here, can anyone sing rock-a-bye baby!!
I hope to get it finished tomorrow so I can get back to finishing the body work. That will be about it for this week! Later all,Capt.Dan
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #145

Vintage RV Owners Club
Slight setback!! The electric panel got fried yesterday and I have been working all morning to replace the damage. I have never seen electric wire nuts melt but I have now!!! Man the force of mother nature!! I still have the A/C to finish and I'm taking a break and eat before I return to work! Hope you all survived the storms if you were in our area. I will check in later, Dan
Old 07-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #146

Vintage RV Owners Club
well, campers, I think I have come to the end of this rebuild. This week I had to add a fan and a starter for the a/c, found the electric panel burned out and or melted down,I'm down to the last three bolts that would have finished the front so I could put the grille back in and that bracket slipped and punched a hole in that brand new radiator!! I tore it all out and am thinking of saying the he!! with it as I'm tired of having to replace or one step forward and three back!! I'm tired of trying to fix something and have to back up and fix it again and again!! This coach has a death wish and I'm that close to granting that wish!!! Right now...I could give a Da** less!!!
Update, This morning about 330 to darn early, woke up to big..BIG leak in roof!!! That put the cap on this rebuild for sure!!! Have two options as of right now but I'm having a problem with the other half as she wants to keep on fixing things up! To bad that ceiling didn't drop on her hard head! Maybe a wake up call but she would maybe give this pos up!! More to be reviled......
Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #147

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...More to be reviled...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't that be revealed not reviled? Or are you that upset? Stop and think about why you started rebuilding in the first place. And try a chiropractor for your migraines... worked for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #148

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, Lorna, it looks like we are going to have a brand new roof put on this thing!! I am taking the radiator back to where I got it and see how much it will cost to stop the leaks! We had made an inquiry about having the roof taken off and replaced. They will take off the old and replace the whole roof for somewhere in the ball park of $12000!! Not bad!! I am to old and busted up to take this on by myself! Its more than I want to handle. She wants it so it is all her own thing!! I looked all over the roof and have been unable to find anything that even looks like a leak!!! I guess the leak monster lives up there and he controls the leaks!
Anyway, We are going to get it finished to go north and head that a way! Merz rv is the one doing the roof and we have friends up that way that have been helping us with finding the stuff we need to finish it and they know about this company and they do really great work so I'm game! After that i can get the rest of the stuff done in the kitchen.
i sanded and finished the body work and this morning those same areas cracked again and as they will take the whole roof off anyway, I will wait till it is done and i can paint the rails myself. I got three coats on the different places I wanted to get done but that last couple of minutes was sprinkling. I don't know what I have out there yet. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Anyway, Thats it for now, Told you more was to be reviled!! I will check in later, Dan
SanjayR, smile... That keeps everyone guessing what you are smiling about!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #149

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...More to be reviled...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't that be revealed not reviled? Or are you that upset? Stop and think about why you started rebuilding in the first place. And try a chiropractor for your migraines... worked for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry about that, the spell checker can't spell for anything!! You were right!
As for the chiropractor, They won't do anything as I have one bad disc in the lower back, one in the middle of my back and 8 in the neck! All bad and they can't or will not touch me as there is SO much damage they are afraid of killing me and they won't touch my case. I had a chiropractor try working on my back and she had no luck with me and she recommended getting the mri scans. when she got the scans back that was the end of the that! They tried to do a surgery and the doctor came out and told my wife, sorry but there is NO way they would do anything as there is too much damage and that they could kill me if they tried! Its in all my records and...that is all there is of that! The migraines are caused by the neck most of the time but you never know...They try and take care of me with meds and thats it!!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #150

Doc's wanted to operate on David's back. Gave him a 50% chance of walking after the operation, David refused. Took years but finally found a chiro that fixed him (after he got rear ended by a van... laid him up while I had to do his tile work).

I think what you need the most is to get out of the heat. I know it is hard on me down here with the heat combined with the high humidity. Makes for short tempers and no patience. Sure was nice this past weekend the NC mountains. it was like having everything outside air conditioned!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #151

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a neck and lower back surgery in 1993! It took almost a year to get my legs back to working again. 2003, December, I got hit soo hard it shoved me under a Jeep grand Cherokee and then into a unmarked police car! Thats when things have started going downhill!!!
I was talking to a friend that has a rv repair place in Tucson today. I didn't know he did the kind of repairs I need done so I will only pay about $8500. and another thing that I want done is to replace the rear window. it has three single panes and it used to open up,but I wouldn't like that anyway as it could let fumes in so It will be replaced with a single pane insulated glass and heavy tint.That will cost about $600. I'm still ahead!! And they do have a warranty!!
I got the tape off and cleaned up the windows and a few places where it over sprayed, and don't look bad!! Now, I have to get the stripes done as they make that coach look bad. It didn't look that bad before the repaint, but it shows now!!
I have the awning coming in next week and then I have to put the coach in the shop for the roof. A friend has a rv that well let us stay in while ours is in the shop. Beats staying in a motel!! Tomorrow, I get to put the radiator back in and this time, I'm going to put the condenser in and the coolers too before I put the radiator in so there is no way that the unit will be damaged. Then if the rain will take a break,I can get the back done and put together. and if the weather holds,I might get the front put back together too! Wednesday, I have to go to the VA and take one last test..Till next year!
Thursday, I want to go over to my friends and weld the exhaust tail pipes and steps on and replace the rear shocks. I need to get the platform for the battery welded on and I need to braise the dipstick tube back so I can get it to give me a correct reading.It broke loose when I was getting the headers installed. Its the original tube but its hard to get another and I don't know where I would find one right now. No longer dealer available. I have to do some touch up on the windshield frame[ black paint] and the stripes and it will be done on the outside!!
I have plenty of things to do yet so I get a break while it is in the shop! Catch you later, Capt.Dan
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #152

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, We had alot of weather today and it pouring out there right now. But I have some good news, The whole nose or front end is on and all finished!!! I was going to get a picture for you but the url won't show the picture! The photos are on the Google site and I will close for now! Have a good one, Capt. Dan
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #153

SanjayR, smile... That keeps everyone guessing what you are smiling about!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is not easy to do when you are not even sure you have a right to live. . .

That is the hardest part of PTSD for me. I can't get help because I don't really believe that I deserve to be helped. When help is offered, I usually refuse it because I'm not worth helping. well, in my perception anyway. I have been doing a lot of struggling with that particular demon these last two months, and even yet, I have been able to do a repair to my electrical panel (swapped out the 15A GFCI that failed for a dual 20A which gives me an extra curcuit so I can split up my electrical outlets more reasonably) as well as fixing my shower so it works right. That is about all I dare to do as it seems that everything I touch turns to . . . manure. I will get better. I know this. It is just that this is the worst I have been in the last five years. It is so bad at the moment that I may even end up in the hospital for it. I have people keeping an eye on me though, and I will be taken in if I need it.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #154

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hang in there buddy!! It will get better!! I get depression at times that if it wasn't for meds and Tweety I'm not sure I'd be here, So I know how that goes! There is help out there for the depression so its a matter of time to get over it! This coach had me down so many times that when I got an area done I would get a little rush, but it is short lived as the next hurdle comes along and I go thru it again. It is almost done and I feel good but then I remember that until the striping is done and the kitchen is complete, that it isn't complete! Thats the easy part. I am letting the rv shop take care of the roof and awnings as thats just too hard for my body to do!
I hope things work out for you buddy, and will check in later, Capt.Dan