Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #155

Dan, you''re depressing me... I gotta get more done to my RV. The heat/humidity combo is bad after spending a few days up in the cool mountains.

Sanjay... you really need a hug... daily (we all do). And stop thinking you aren't worth helping because you are. Keep thinking about the positive stuff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #156

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lorna, How am I depressing you?? Because the coach is almost done??? I'll tell you depressing, getting the bill!!! That will get you depressed quick!! I'd give both of ya hugs if I could be there where you both are!! I'm looking at the pictures and then the home and its getting hard to beleave it is the same coach!! These last 5 months have flew fast!! Doesn't seem that long but it is! This month makes a year since the motor home was flooded!! Seems like last week!! WoW! time flies!!!

Hope you both get the work done so you can enjoy rather than work on it all the time!! They are a big hobby, but Ya need to enjoy them too!
I will get that first time in a long time next month! I will be working on her but we can still travel, so It will be fun I guess. I want to see the changing of the trees and fishing for a big O'le bass!! I havn't fished for five years and I miss that or seeing trees changing there colors!! I got to see a little of that last year!! but not the fishing.. I'm looking forward to that this fall! then back down to San Manwell for the winter. Catch you later as I need to eat something, Capt. Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #157

You're depressing me because I can't seem to get out there in the heat to work on the silly thing! The AC is soooo much nicer. Living in a partially finished RV is tolerable. At least I don't have to sit and just look at it. I guess that's why we got it fixed up to the "move in" state so fast. As for time flying.... hard to believe we've been down here 9 months! But we are to leave GA on Oct 1st!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #158

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ahh! Yes, I know what you mean! Yes, it could be very depressing!! Heat and humidity Are bad things to have together. Today we had 75% humidity and it was in the mid-ninety's!! The a/c's here work better with humidity, But those swamp coolers won't work at all in these high humidity days!! I will get three week vacation but I want to go down and see for myself what the roof looked like as I'm still wondering where it was leaking!! I will take some pictures to post on the forum! A local company here called Merrigans Road-runner rv service is doing the work. They have been in business for 50+ years. They made there own slide-in campers and branched out to be a complete service dealership! Eddie has got to where he calls me by my first name. I have been there to buy all the stuff for the rv and also my other connection to this forum as well. The only other place I have gone to is a company called All-RV. They do different types of repairs but this roof would be above there usual service. They have sold and will install the A&E Weather-Pro Awning! Tan't cheap! 2500 bucks later I will have a awning that will last a long time! I did a bunch of research before getting this one. One of the major reasons is that is the wind! we get it at different times and If we are not home and the wind comes up quick this awning will automatically retract all by itself!! also, The thing comes out by a push of a button. The first is the main reason why I went with it!! Its a 18' long awning. The last one we had was in 1998. it almost flipped us on our side!! That was the main reason to be without a awning,but now that they have a way to retract before damage, that has allowed me to change my view of them. That and instead of vinyl, I'm going with a acrylic with black finish on the hardware! that wil match the rv much better. Once we have the rv finished here I'm going on the road to see family and friends and work on the rv and do some fishing too! I will still have the kitchen to rebuild and the counter in the bathroom. The carpet in the cab and the floor in the kitchen. Some of the tile has to be replaced and the home depot brand for this tile is no longer available. That means I need to change the tile in the kitchen. Need to figure out what to use for a pattern yet. That and the stripes are all that will be needing to be done yet. I guess you call this a 1979-07 model year..Yes??
I am going to have way to much fun in the kitchen, once it is finished!! Can we say Counterspace!! I won't know how to behave!! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the remodel! With that done, I doubt even Coachmen will recognize the mh!! If I don't relabel it they wouldn't even know it was one of theirs!!
OK, I will get off here and see what else is going on. Talk later, Capt.Dan
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #159

Well, you shamed me into working on the RV today. Try working with wet fiberglass and doing the "South Gorgia Wave" at the same time (dam-gnats)! Ran out of fiberglass resin and mat. Oh darn! Gotta get more tomorrow while down in Albany.

If a vehicle is reconstructed past a certain percentage, it can be retitled under a newer completion date. Varies by state.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #160

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, but They will increase the taxes too!! The insurance is the key! you get them on your side and they will sale any coverage you desire!! I was on the phone for over a hour telling her the items and cost..They copied that info and gave me several options and I am covered to 30 thousand now but when the roof an the other stuff is completed it will come up to $40,000! The company doing the work said I could take pictures so I will have those on-line to display. I could do what you said but that would lead to higher taxes and as long as the insurance company has the info and they are up front with you there is no problem getting them to cover you completely!!! Right now I have full coverage and fulltimers and $25000 personal property, Towing and glass, Comp and collision too!! I feel comfortable with them as I have had them for ten years now and they are happy with me and I don't think they would have done this without the lists of stuff I have put in! When I dropped CW insurance and gmac was still able to to keep me through FMCA and no increase in the premium, shows me they want me and I feel good with that! All I can say is that who ever hits me will be paying through the nose!! Bigtime!!
Today, I got the exhaust pipes installed and the a/c charged stainless steel glass packs for the tips! I also got the new rear shocks too!
What a sweet ride!
Thats about all, I have a small leak in the transmission cooler lines or power steering, I'm not sure which! I'm sure I can find it and fix it and Tuesday it will have a new awning,then on Thursday or Friday It will go into the shop for a new roof!!
Thats all folks!! Capt.Dan
Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #161

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:

Thats about all, I have a small leak in the transmission cooler lines or power steering, I'm not sure which! I'm sure I can find it and fix it and Tuesday it will have a new awning,then on Thursday or Friday It will go into the shop for a new roof!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I need a new roof too. . .right down to the shocks. . . :P

Who do I talk to to get my MH retitled? I'm in CA, BTW. While the chassis will be the same, and most of the interior layout will be the same, I will want to put in new cabinets, recover or replace the daybed, put in a new A/C, furnace, water heater, flooring, subflooring, insulation, exterior siding, exterior paneling, exterior lighting, exaust system, rebuild the engine. . . Hey, I *did* say that you would be traveling before me. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #162

Sanjay,
you talk to the department in charge of titling autos. Contact them thru your state's official website, don't ask the yo-yo's down at the DMV. With all you are doing, you will have a "new" RV!

I originally found the info on retitling a vehicle on a bus conversion forum. Looked into it for TN and decided it was too much hassle. Beside, I want the bus to be perceived as being older. It's a general perception I like to cultivate (we have few $$ ). It's kinda how we keep trying to talk Brenda (financier) out of putting signage on David's truck and cargo trailer (#1. we don't want to advertise what's in the cargo trailer -theft- and #2 we don't want to tell folks we want to make a profit on their bargain priced house because we going to flip it after putting in tie and $$ that they didn't want to do). Only "reason" I can really find for a retitle is for the "10 year rule". Since we stay in public campgrounds mostly, why bother.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #163

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lorna, I never even thought about the 10 year rule. I will voice my opinion and leave that one alone!! If they don't want my 'new' 1979 rv in there lot, I don't want to park there anyway!! They have to be sticks in the ground to turn down cash!! And anyone who's crazy to turn down cash is to crazy to hang around!! I have been wondering what I want to use for the lettering on this as once the stripes are painted It will need to be relettered. I need to find some 2 1/2" black letters. I also need 1 1/2" letters for the model which is displayed only on the back. "President 25" Want them all in black as they will be on the light green stripes. I don't want anything on the 'root beer' stripes. After all, I can't be a member of the Coachmen club without a coach with there name on it, Now can I??
SanjayR, I'm glad to hear you on the line again!! You are about 2-3 years from where I started. Ouch!! That one should be pretty nice once done!! Costs a bunch but anything worth doing is worth doing well!! You will have a first class coach when finished!! I have to go downtown next tuesday to have the awning put on and then Friday, it goes to another shop for the roof and rear window. Aftr that I'm heading to Wisconsin to another place to get some parts and install them and I may paint the stripes too! I also want to see the changing of the trees and fish some there too!
Thats the plan at least!! Things can get changed at the last minute but I think this will happen, Will check in later, Capt.Dan
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #164

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have been noticing a smell like hydraulic oil when I shut the engine off. I have checked all the fluid levels and nothing is dropping but all the times I have started it and stopped it it had a smell till today and I ran about a hour at high rpms,[1400] and at idle,[525] and then shut it down. I had cardboard under the coach to see if I could find a leak and...Nothing and I didn't notice any odor. I have made two trips with it and both times I had that smell, Today..nothing? I can't beleave that was burn off! I will be taking it down tuesday and I'm taking the cardboard with me as I want to see if that will show where it maybe leaking. I got the truck loaded up for the trash and the tent is going with it! I got a truck load for sure! that was the last of the rebuild here and I will do most of the rest in Wisconsin at our friends. I have the kitchen to finish and the bathroom countertop and sink. I should have it mostly done there. We are on the downhill side of the rebuild. With the roof done I can tie all the cabinets to the walls and ceiling. I will try and get the new carpet in the cab and the cabinet in the kitchen done and all the counter tops done as well. I will work on the floors and stripes when I get back down from Wisconsin.
That will be September and some of October and that will pretty much finish it all. I will check in later,Dan
Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #165

I'm interested in a new title as the old one is a bit dodgy. I may just be easier to get a new title than to clean up the old one. As for the "10 year rule" it will likely be that long before I'm done anyway. . . When I'm done, this rig will no longer be an "orphan", as *I* will be the manufacturer. . .
More in my thread. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #166

Vintage RV Owners Club
I thought we had it rough till I saw The work that the 19' Frolic is having done!!!
SanjayR, that is most likely what yours will take to repair!! A total rebuild. I think that I got lucky as this buggy came from the deserts!! This thing would not have lasted as long as it did with that roof I got. Back East, it would have flooded out the rig by now. Once the roof and the Kitchen is done, this buggy will be pretty much done! And the real camping will begin!!!
Beleave me, After three years,I'm ready for some serious camping!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #167

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, the truck is done and tomorrow, I will get the other coach so we can switch over our stuff and get Dusty in the shop. I have to put some stuff in the storage till we have our unit back!
I'm burned out so I am going to bed!! Capt.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sanjay<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who do I talk to to get my MH retitled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What do you mean when you use the term "retitled" , Sanjay? Do you mean put into your name as registered owner?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote