Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #169

I mean a new title. Getting the old one into my name is Transfer of Title. The VIN is very short on this rig (sold before standardized VINs were mandated, I guess), and if I repair the parts that need to be repaired, they cannot be left undisturbed. One is on the aluminum skin by the door, one on the skin under the drivers window on the outside, and the third is glued to the paneling on the inside of the driver's window. I have found no other location that holds the VIN. when I finish with this rig, there will likely be less than 30% of the original parts on it anyway. The wood has to almos all go away, and the only thing that will be staying is the chassis and perhaps the stove (got to have something from the original rig, don't ya?) Would that be state DMV, or is there someone else that I would talk to? It is also difficult for me to get a VIN certification done, as they want that done at the DMV, and this rig is not street legal at the moment. . . (no outside lights, cannot smog it, etc. . .)

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I will check with a friend of mine this next week to see if she can reccomend how to handle it...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #171

Sanjay, do you intend on staying in CA after you finish the RV? I only ask because it may be easier to retitle (new date) in another state? I know our chain of ownership documentation for the Class C was shaky when we titled in TN (changed owners/states without being tagged & titled, SC to NC -no tag/title- to us in TN).
Old 08-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #172

Yeah, California is my home now. I may move from this particular location, once I get the rig drivable over distances, but I'll almost certainly be in CA. If I start traveling, I may retitle out of state, in a place that has easier legal aspects.. . .

Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #173

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, Dusty is in the shop, and I miss her!! I'm thinking of maybe changing its name to "Presidential palace"! The toad " Presidential Limo"! Any other Ideas??? I don't think Dusty will fit as it has new paint and will have new stripes and all glossy!!! Won't look dusty all the time...Just a idea...
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #174

You have to name it something nice... to make up for all the names you probably called it while working on it.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #175

I say keep it Dusty. Changing the name alters the history of it, and invalidates all the good times you had in it. Keeping it as Dusty keeps all that history, and invites more good memories from future good times.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #176

Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess I will keep it Dusty for now...
I went down to see it today as Tweety lost some of her meds and we can't see them anywhere in this coach, so anyway,when we got there they were starting on it and we were seeing the framework around the different fans and stuff in the roof. There is a lot of water damage in the roof and mold too!! It will be all new when done but that storage pod is one of the main leaker's so far!! They will know more as they get the roof off!! They will also replace the back corners that I couldn't get to stay fixed. They will be aluminum and I will paint it when done so it all matches. Thats one place I will never need to worry about. The roof will be rubber membrane and the studs will be wood and block foam insulation!! I got to say, I miss my home!!! More later, Capt.Dan
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #177

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...that storage pod is one of the main leaker's... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stuff on the roof concerns us. We completely dumped the ladder/luggage rack after we realized that is where 90% of our water damge had come from. We alos decided to severely limit the "stuff" on the roof of the bus. So except for the "have to have" tank vents and 2 exhaust fans (1 bathroom, 1 shower) there will be nothing else poking holes in that nice thick, currently leak-free, aluminum skin. I've even decided to get a low profile marine "deck vent". Got it all picked out. David was behind me while I drove the RV to this campground. He said the Pecan branches were almost touching the Maxxair Vent covers (Lots of Pecan groves around here). The Class C is not that tall! And the roof mount AC unit is noisy (we will go with a basement ac... most likely a split unit). I thought the deck vents were appropriate since I plan on doing the bus in a Art Deco style yaht kinda thing. The bus looks kinda Streamlined Art Deco.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #178

Vintage RV Owners Club
There will be no pod on it again!! The A/c stays, So do the two vents! The tank vents, and No...,Repeat NO luggage rack!!!!! The sat dish and the new antenna along with a solar panel but with new wood under the Rubber Membrane, I'll take my chances with lap sealant!!! The ladder has to stay but a different model you see!! I have to have a way to get to the solar panels and keep them clean!!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #179

I think our ladder/luggage rack was an aftermarket addition. Whom ever installed them managed to miss all the wood "nailers" and it was held securely in place with nice long screws thru the aluminum into the foam insulation. Yep, that foam insulatiom did a fine job of securing the ladder! And I had climbed up on it (once) to peek at the roof! Since we tend to have a ladder with us (part of David's tools), we decided we didn't want the ladder rack on the Class C.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #180

Vintage RV Owners Club
Supposed to be 4X2 with plywood,[3/8"s or 1/2"}?? that and rubber should be strong enough for that ladder, even if I should gain back all my weight!!! I only have a little step ladder,[3'] that I use to get me up where the ladder starts,and when I wash the windows!! It folds up into a 6X30"space! Fits nicely into the back of the truck. I'm not staying on long today as I am in pain and my hands and fingers ache and throb so I will close. Check with you later, Capt.Dan
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #181

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi everyone, I am on new computer and am having the usial bugs to work out. Tweet was on-line this morning and the keyboard broke or is disconnected and I put it in the shop and got this HP but it has vista... Nuff said! She will get this one as soon as mine is back!! Let her have all the bugs!! I also got a Kyocera KR1 Router so we can share the air-card!! Might be a couple of days as they would try and fix it in house! Hope it is easy fix! Good luck to all you rebuilders and will get back to you all later,Capt.Dan
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #182

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, It was an interesting visit today with the coach. They have the metal roof all off and the front cap,[fiberglass], loose the skylight on the roof has been there all these years with nothing but the roof metal and some pop-rivits holding it on! No framing at all!!! That is a good reason to leak!! The a/c was leaking some but the worst was at the back and at the fridge vent! They also had some damage at the wall and roof joint on the passenger side. The are taking the first panel,[ 14"], off and will replace the wall damage and reinforce it so the awning will be ok. I forgot to take the camera with me but I have to go back to town tomorrow so I will get them then! Been busy with this new computer, My old one and the new Kyocera KR1 router. They do work and I am enjoying both computers working on line at the same time! If possible, The system is even faster than before! Thats a good thing! This week is going to be interesting and busy so I will check in later, Capt Dan