Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #379

Vintage RV Owners Club
Forcefab, Its a diamond in the rough for sure!! It is really light right now!! Less than 800 pds and I am going to add a few more to it yet But trying to get it to weight less than 1000 pounds total weight! That way I am under 5000 Total at the hitch. I can go to 6000 safely but I like a margin for error!! I may make a little money with it too! They have people all over the town who have old Junk cars that could or should be recycled. I can get them for nothing!! Just to get rid of them and over the scales, they will pay anywhere from 150 to over 300 bucks!!! a few of those goes a long way toward finishing the home so we could travel again!! It is a good thing to plan for more than just one way look for the options, they are out there, I made a great deal on this trailer if I can do both, and I have no reason why not,so I can have it both ways!! Money for nothing and the ride for free!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #380

Vintage RV Owners Club
Today was a rough day to work on the trailer!!! The winds are giving me no slack and I didn't Help at all!! I did get one side about half done on the fenders but they are not really a good weld! I will have to grind it down and reweld maybe. I had to make room for a couple of little jobs so I put the boards back on the trailer in the middle so they don't get burnt! i got a couple today so I will post them here tonight,Dan

Old 04-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #381

Vintage RV Owners Club
Way To windy today!! Maybe later in the week?? Got a couple of other jobs coming in so Maybe i gets some more funds for repairs.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #382

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, I had some extra time on My hands so I started Grinding the welds down and getting the fender smooth all the way!! I found More muscles I didn't know I had anymore. I will take Pic's tomorrow as I doubt I can do anything as we have high wind warnings and red flag conditions!!! Not a good day too weld!! I am done for the night, Dan
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #383

Vintage RV Owners Club
The photos are in the link to Picassa under trailer3, Dan
Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #384

Looking good .... Even better than I expected !!!
forcedfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #385

Vintage RV Owners Club
You should have seen some of the pictures from last year on this motorhome!! I think it was worse!! Its not finished for sure but it will do the job for sure!! That liquid metal is a bear to work with. Once hard A da will bounce right off. You have to grind it down to get it close and then bondo to smooth it out,Prime and paint. The left fender is ready for the fine stuff. I ran out of wire for the Mig Welder so I will try and get some this week or next That right side fender was in process of being welded when I ran out of wire. I am still sore from grinding that left fender, I am going to let the aches go away before I tackle that other fender,Dan
Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #386

Vintage RV Owners Club
This is quick,The air-card is going bad and I will [Hope] to get another card tomorrow! It gets hot and shuts down so i am not on much today. Will check in later, Dan
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #387

Vintage RV Owners Club
card good?, But software corrupted. Finally got it removed and the new installed and am up and running. Nothing other than I went to the doctors today and she gave me a good rating so I guess my health is ok for now. That means I can get some more work done on My projects. I guess I will get busy,..It don't happen by magic, Dan
Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #388

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, They ended up replacing the air-card! So that done it is working as it should be!!! I am sitting on all the work for a bit as need more funds so I am doing a few jobs and that will give me more capital to work on the trailer and other projects. The toad is running really good and the coach is really nice with that new roof up there!! With that new insulation up there we haven't had to use the a/c yet!!! We have been using the ceiling fans and windows open and the awning out!!
One area that we made sure they didn't skimp on was that roof insulation!!All Foam!! And for those that are rebuilding there roofs use as much foam as possible as that is the better thing to make your home more comfortable!!The home is much more quiet and the temps are way lower during the daytime!! One of the best things we had done when we redid the roof!! Walls too if you have to go that far!! Anyway, I got to get back to work so later, Dan
Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #389

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, this has been a long week or two! We had severial vehicles come in all at once!! But somethings just don't work out like it should. I had the money for a roll of wire for the welder and then I had a bill for my Meds I take. then I get more of the green and then the Isuzu had to act up!! I was going to get that wire and the alternator had to die and take the new fan belt along with it! It got us home alright but the fan belt lost out big time! They wanted to charge me over a hundred for the Alternator and another 30 for the belt. Went down to a place down here called U-Pull-IT. I walked around a bit and saw a almost new one!! $25.00 and out the door! It can't have more than 2-4 hours of run time on it!!! Got the belt and put it all together! Job done!! I have been getting wood for the kitchen and also panel for the side of that new counter cabinet! I need to get the counter-top panels and the 3/4" stuff for the back splash and I have some electrical to finish and I can get on with it! The countertops are a chop-block and will be stained a pretty shade of green and three coats of poly on it to seal and protect it from water! One thing about it, No Particle Boards here!! Real good honest hard wood!! Somewhere in here I will get the paint and wire for the welder so I can get the Trailer finished! I have some more funds coming in so, I should be ok for the summer and then when it starts dropping temps this fall I can paint the stripes on the outside and call it DONE!! Then we need to save more for that really big cost!! Its called Gas!!Like over $300. a fill!! And by the time in the fall comes we might need to take out a mortgage on it to get the gas we need!
Anyway thats all for now, Dan!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #390

Vintage RV Owners Club
O Boy!! I got a good one for ya here!! I have been using a long extension cord that will supply me with around 12-15 amp service. It is Getting warmer so time to find the old wires underground and tie into them and connect 30 amps up so I can run the A/C. I found all three wires from the 220 amp service that used to run to an old House trailer Couldn't get a volt or amp reading at that panel, so I went to where we were close to where the lines ran and dug them up. I got 220 from them, After I cut the line there! Now I wired a panel box with 30 amp breaker in it and put my Circuit Tester on it and I am wired correctly. So I unplug from outside at the garage from the 15 amp service and plug into new panel box and...Nada!!! I have 220 showing with my meter and the circuit tester shows that the neutral is correct and the hot is correct and the ground is good as well. I got volts but no amps!! I go up to the main breaker box at the pole and ..you bet I got amps!!!! And everything including the garage and friends home has good amps!! My Eyes are glowing Blue in the dark!! I can go down where I park and I can touch both 110 sides to me and the neutral and bearly get a trickle of power to my hands!!! What am I missing????? besides amps??
Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #391

It does sound like a defective pannel box doesn't it??.How long of a run and what is the wire size??.It drops with every 50' unless the resistance is offset by a larger wire size.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #392

Vintage RV Owners Club
The breaker is a 40 amp 220 type at my end, There is a box at the pole with our line fed thru with 00 wire and a 4 or 2 gage wire for Neutral. about 100 feet to my panel. I use same wire with plug to go to panel and the garage. The garage is on a 15 amp service as they had 12 gage wire run to the outside jack! I can get it that way no problem except when I use the micro or try the A/C so I need to get a 30 amp service to the home but Am running into a wall here. I am wondering if maybe a breaker is bad or?? I can bypass the breaker on my end but the other end is a bit tricky! one wrong move and Zap city!! No big breaker! I wish it had one up there!! I have tried to check if I am getting a open hot by using my meter to have one wire on hot and the other on ground[solid copper to ground post!]. I get nothing on both hots!! I don't think a open would give a zip voltage if it was broken in the ground as I would get a voltage reading at the pole! as tested above! What really throws me is I can use my tester to make sure I wired the plug correct and it shows I did?? Must be getting micro amps! or they call it millamps I think! Just enough to light the tester but not enough amps to light up the home.