Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #393

David thinks that you have a break in the wire that is underground. It will jump feed so that you will get a "phantom" reading but you really aren't. David said to remind you that he is not an electrician but he has run into that situation and does not understand how it occurs.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #394

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
David thinks that you have a break in the wire that is underground. It will jump feed so that you will get a "phantom" reading but you really aren't. David said to remind you that he is not an electrician but he has run into that situation and does not understand how it occurs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Dan-it's the big brown unexplained spot in the lawn where when it rains the water boils.LOL

00 Wire is more than enough size no matter how long the wire is.I agree with David that somewhere you have a break.Let us know what ya find.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #395

Vintage RV Owners Club
Like what you said Gary! I am going to try and use the other hot and see if I can get real voltage and Amps!! I did get new Breakers so I will try that first. Hope to try and do that tomorrow! I hope only one of the Hots is "broke".
With a little luck I can get it done tomorrow. I got way too much on my plate right now! Need a break for sure. My buddy and friend for many years now is thinking of saleing this place and going to N.M. We are making plans to do the same! They don't have anything set in stone yet but I can understand for sure!! I am tired of almost getting run over here by ?? Between trucks and cars and ??, It is a take your life in your hands thing everytime we try and get on the highway up here!! It is getting too built-up!! I don't like city's anyway. Anyway, I took a few pictures of the coach here and have the new front levelers on and the deck for our porch. Later,Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #396

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I got it!! Electric!! maga amps!! The neutral was bad. I do kinda know why. The two hots are 00 Wire but the neutral was only 4 or 6 gage,so it was the weak link!!Anyway that was one thing that works!!
I started to pull the front end off and I got the axles done and ready to reinstall. Tomorrow I hope to get it all together and get a front end alignment and I can save for the next project... Trailer! I got to finish the front porch and get that finished but another issue in the motorhome,For some reason, The A/C quit! It will turn the fans on but no compressor? I have to call Roadrunner and get them to come up and figure out what is going on with it!! After I get the truck done I can turn my work toward the trailer!
Should take one day to get the welding done and start on the finish.
Well, that is all for now, Dan
Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #397

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am more tired than usual!! I read the last post and that was confusing!! Even to me!!! The truck is what i was working on and tomorrow I will get it finished. There is more to do, but it can go on the back burner for now!! I will need to put pads on but can wait for a month or so. Not like I am going to cruise a miracle mile!! Not with these gas prices!!!! I can work on the trailer maybe next week and I have my friend that I sold the tow stuff to coming down next week one day to have it installed. That and the trailer will be my main jobs this week!! Then i can try and make a few bucks hauling vehicles to the scrap metal works! Thats one way to make severial bucks!!
Old 05-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #398

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here it is Memorial weekend, and no gas to go anywhere!!!! Hope all of ya have a great weekend!!! And a great memorial day too!!
Old 05-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #399

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wallaby Dan:
Well, I got it!! Electric!! maga amps!! The neutral was bad. I do kinda know why. The two hots are 00 Wire but the neutral was only 4 or 6 gage,so it was the weak link!!Anyway that was one thing that works!!
I started to pull the front end off and I got the axles done and ready to reinstall. Tomorrow I hope to get it all together and get a front end alignment and I can save for the next project... Trailer! I got to finish the front porch and get that finished but another issue in the motorhome,For some reason, The A/C quit! It will turn the fans on but no compressor? I have to call Roadrunner and get them to come up and figure out what is going on with it!! After I get the truck done I can turn my work toward the trailer!
Should take one day to get the welding done and start on the finish.
Well, that is all for now, Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky for you the neutral did carry some current.Other wise I would think it would 220 everything you pluged into it.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #400

Vintage RV Owners Club
No way Gary. What I did was take off the other 00 gage wire and move it to the neutral connection and tried it again. I had good hot and neutral!! That 4-6 gage wire had a meltdown somewhere underground but the 00 wires were both ok. I am sitting in Air Conditioned comfort!! The A/C wasn't working right when I did start it up but it is working ok today and it is warm enough for it!!
So far it is working great! Before, it would stop cooling but the fans stayed on. I think it may have had a cobweb or something as I checked it out but didn't see anything out of whack. Everything is working ok right now! I just heard the A/C compressor come back on, again so I would say it is ok for now. I did get the truck finished and runs good, only thing left is to get a front-end alignment and it will be done. I am taking a couple of days off and relax as I am getting run down. Not feeling as good as I would normaly. Could be the heat or ????????
Have a good Memorial Day!!!! Dan
Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #401

Dan,
When I young and foolish I worked running PA and lighting systems.We built disconnects using the ends of jumper cable clamps and that cable ran to a distrabution pannel to run the PA's and lighting.We would clamp to a 220 box with a earth ground,netural,and two hots.I was on a job that had a delta system to clamp off of.I wasn't used to that kind of system and switched a neutral and a hot.I pluged in a small fan we had by the sound mixing board to check things out before I powered up anything else.LOL-man I watched the poor fan slow down and smoke until it stop.Hehe-yeppers 220 that poor thing.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #402

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gary that is wild!!! When I was stationed at Governors Island I worked in a night Club that isn't there anymore but enjoyed the lighting and sound system!! Gave me Drinking money!!! Drank all I could!!! You were in New York city, yes??
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #403

Dan,
That sound and light company was in good old Roch,NY.Before that,I toured all over the country.LOL-that could have been the seed to want to fultime RV'ing.And wouldn't you know it,just as I am at that door-step,bam,gas pricing goes thru the roof.Well it's better to be lucky than good I guess.

Well if we never get together here,I am sure we will bump into each other on the other side where all good people end up.

Take care my friend and watch out to those 220 lines,

Gary
Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #404

Vintage RV Owners Club
You too Gary, I am looking for a small piece of ground and move there and park this beast and add a workshop right beside us and retire!!!! Thinking southern New Mexico or maybe a part of Texas.....Nothing in stone.....
Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #405

Hey Dan,
I think we need to talk Fleamarketeer into moving out West!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #406

Vintage RV Owners Club
You both come on out if ya want! I will be here.. Am giving up the rving as the fuel and other prices are choking us right out of doing anything! I may sell this old coach! I got some of the stuff but even finished, It will never sale for what I have in it. will keep on trying to finish this beast but right now..the way I feel...I really don't care anymore one way or another.If I ever finish this thing I may sale it and get a regular trailer. If I had known last year that this was going to happen, I would have sold it and got the trailer and got rid of that Mazda ands got me a truck!!! So much for hindsight!!! By for now,