Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, First there is no more leaks!!!
Second, I have moved somewhat back in to the rv as the tent wanted to leak and I got a tarp for that today. I have a long way to go but I'm making progress.
I hope to have the Camera back Saturday and I have a problem with the computer now. The power supply plug is going bad and that means that half the time I'm on battery.I play with it and it goes back into electric power and battery charge. I am going down to Best Buy where I got it from and get another but If this one bites the dust...I might loose contact with you guys and gals!. Just a heads up for Me not posting.
I'm not feeling all that good so I'm going to take a shower and pain meds and see what that does for me. Later, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, This has been a busy week and a half. I have got the mold gone the fridge is back in place, The bathroom is almost done and the water heater and plumbing is all done.I have all the electric done and it's starting to look like a motorhome!! I'm using my sister's computer because the laptop quit all together and is in the hands of geek-squad! So is the camera...yet! I will be picking up the engine parts this week and I have been doing the painting of the cabinets in the house. All the golden color is being redone to a light green,just a shade darker than mint green and the doors are all going to be white with no print on them. Instead, I'm using a small square molding to make the design. Should be fun and look good when done.I will have the ceiling done most-likly tomarrow and then the entertainment shelf will be ready to reinstall. I'm still trying to figure out what is needed yet to fix the seats in the cab.
I hope to have the computer and camera back by next week and I will post pictures of the progress. Till then, Have a good one and make them a safe one,Capt. Dan

Old 04-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...I have been doing the painting of the cabinets in the house. All the golden color is being redone to a light green,just a shade darker than mint green and the doors are all going to be white with no print on them. Instead, I'm using a small square molding to make the design... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it fun to make it look "different" instead of like all the rest? Today, I have been painting some of our cabinet doors... "Whale Song" light blue with the routed pinstripe "lines" painted black with a paint pen. The center panel of the doors were stripped, then clear coated with polyurethane. Gotta do 2nd coat tommorrow. Why is it David can paint something and only get a drop of two of paint on him.... I can walk down the paint isle and get paint all over me???
Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hello everyone, Boy it's good to have the computer back again!! They had to replace the mother-board as that old power supply shorted out and surged the old one. Thats there story..I think they didn't know what was wrong and just put the mother -board in. Anyway it seems to work ok and it also seems to run a bit faster.
I also got the camera back and I took some photos and will post to my site in the photo section. I got the entertainment done and the painting getting done. I got the heads back today and found out that I have the Industry 454 heads! That and a standard 454 block will up the compression to about 9.0 to 1 ratio. Have the new piston and rod. This may seem overkill, but I'm going to pull all the pistons and replace the rings, Rod bearings and main bearings. I found out that there was signs of wear on the rod bearing for that cracked piston and I checked the other rod and 2 main bearings and saw some wear on a few bearing surfaces. Seeing brass is not really good,I'm thinking that there was some metal fillings was floating around the oil system so I'm going to do it right.
Will post the pictures and check in later, Capt. Dan
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...This may seem overkill, but I'm going to pull all the pistons and replace the rings, Rod bearings and main bearings... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now is the bet time to do all that...while you've got the whole thing all tore up!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Changed my mind on the main bearings. They look new and I was able to mic the journals and the bearings were right with mic . I think the rods may have been mashing the bearings because of the nuts or ? going thru the motor. I'm going to replace the rod bearings and rings. It's a shame..Only two hours at most run time. I'd love to have a little target practice If I knew for sure who did this to my motor. I have ideas but no proof. There is a old saying that goes "what goes around,comes around". I can only hope!!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, its Easter and things are coming along really Good! Not working today but wanted to wish everyone on the forum a Happy Easter and safe travels wherever that may be!! Capt. Dan and Tweet Too!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Not to much going on today as we got wind. I don't want the cabinet doors looking or feeling like sandpaper. Will hope to finish tomarrow the stuff I want to do tomorrow. Today I will try and install the ground fault plugs,One for the kitchen,Bathroom and the outside plug. and I have a wall switch panel to install for the 12V service at the door for the outside lights. Will check in later, Capt.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, Got all the doors done today. Have all the shelves done for the entertainment center. Next will have to do the front cabinets and doors. I'm almost half-way done. A few snags but look'in good! After I get the shelves and doors done I'll take a few pictures. I'm glad to have the Bedroom/Living room almost done. Only the bathroom and kitchen to finish. The cab and engine next.
Check in later, Capt Dan
Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #38

You're moving right along!! You're putting me to shame. And here I'm sitting around doing nothing.... well, almost. We were gone over the weekend (to NC to spend Easter with Stacey). We came back to discover the line to the water heater sprung a tiny leak! Sprayed the underside of the range and ran down the cabinet to the floor (most was caught in the pan we placed under the heater... the overflow puddled water under the camper... that's what tipped us off we had a leak). All this time and the line never leaks. We leave for 4 days and it leaks! At least it was a very minor leak and David fixed it before we have to head out to FL on Thursday. Also I installed the tabletop the evening we got back. I had a table post & top/bottom pieces in storage in NC. This evening was the first time in a long time that we have eaten a home meal at a table. I decided I like the way my doors look (edges painted to match cabinet frame, center panel stripped and clear coated to a golden colour and the "lines" painted black) and I will finish stripping the rest of the doors when we get back to GA. Brought back my table saw, big router (mounted into one of the tables of my saw) and my smaller scroll saw from NC too (David already had my router bits down here). Need to work on a few projects. No excuses now.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Fighting wind today. Fixed the cabinet drawer that was at the bottom of the sink cabinet. Was particle board, now plywood[ad 3/8"] Working on copying old vhs tapes that we had copy to dvd. In between, working on the panels for 12v on the wall by the door. One switch is for the front lights and the other is for the back side[ self- installed] so I can see at night the water heater and to dump holding tanks or check the storage box and for electric or water or sewer connections. I still have a few ground fault plugs I need to place in the kitchen, Bath and outside yet.I also have some touch-up to do with the paint too. Once we have that done, I got to shift things to the back of the coach so I can do the kitchen and cab areas. Theres plenty to do yet. I will take some more photo's when I get the back area done.
I can't finish all the doors till I find the 1/2" square Molding I'm looking for. Home Depot doesn't have it. I'm going down to town tomorrow and see if Lowe's has it.I need to make a wrong right tomorrow so I can get rid of a $200.00 overcharge on my cell bill{their fault} and fix it. I'm still looking for a electric board for the furnace I have. I hate to have to spend several hundred on a new furnace when all I need is a new control board. It already has a new fan motor and sail switch and thermostat! Now the board is bad so no heat. Anyway I will check in later. Have a safe trip and have a good one in generial. I'll check in later, Capt.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't know what the wind blew in but I got it!! I have a headache and my right shoulder and neck is killing me. I have taken pain meds and not much help. The wind blew itself out last night and we had some rain,[Just enough to tease]. But It cleared out the air enough that I did paint the second coat on the drawers.Thats all folks. I'm beginning to run out of steam. Need to recharge my Battery's ,I guess. Got into a strange situation yesterday. I got the bathroom electric outlet out and found out that it was one of five outlets. From the box it goes to the bathroom and then the dinette area, From there to the fridge and then the bedroom and last stop, the outside plug!. All that on a 20 amp breaker!! 12 gage wire,no less! I ran my old Micro/Convection oven off that dinette plug for 8 years and the new one now almost two!! I'm lucky I found out too as there was a hot wire[The Black one] burnt almost thru and it shorted against the ground and popped the breaker right as I turned it on.I pulled it all back out and the black wire had burnt complete thru! The insulation was all that was holding it together. I fixed that but I am going to have to add another circuit to the panel so I can use the convection oven. A 20 amp circuit.
Well, Thats the good,Bad and ugly of it! Have a good one, Capt.Dan
Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #41

...I got the bathroom electric outlet out and found out that it was one of five outlets. From the box it goes to the bathroom and then the dinette area, From there to the fridge and then the bedroom and last stop, the outside plug!. All that on a 20 amp breaker!! 12 gage wire,no less!... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We ran into the same thing! Maybe it's a '70's thing??? And we had a 4 breaker box! Seperated out the circuits, added a few new ones and added new breakers too. Makes you wonder what the manufacturers were thinking.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Lorna, Back in the 70's they didn't have the common sense to look ahead to the future or they didn't think there coaches would be around 28 years later,Whatever they didn't think about High amp draws for microwaves or Micro/convection combos or upgrades to 'ground fault' or dishwashers or electric/propane water heaters. They had A/C's but Heat pumps were a new thing that was just making the scene down south and Mh's, nope. They didn't see any of this coming. It's just another snag to fix in the neverending list of things to do!! It comes with the territory I guess. Anyway, It will be safe and updated for sure. Good thing I had a uncle and Brother that were electricians, Huh!!
Hope your rebuild is coming along well and no surprises!! Mine was four breakers too! Had to be a 70's thing.I'm glad I'm not alone!! I have this forum to help me in these times when this thing surprises me.Hope all is going well. I'm going to kick back and see who else is on. Have you heard from Sarjay R? He was going to fly to I think Florida and bring one back to I guess California. I just wonder if he made it ok?
Anyway, I will check in later, Capt. Dan