Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, I got the doors put back on today and most of the work in the living/bedroom area is done. Now I have to turn my efforts back to the hardest part. I will be building a new cabinet and rebuilding the sink/stove area. It will be a few days yet before I tackle the Kitchen. I need to take a break for a couple of days or so. That last wind storm blew something here that I'm having problems with. I am going to go see my doctor, It's that bad. I HATE DOCTORS!!!
I'm posting the pictures from the living/ Bedroom area. I don't have the moldings on the doors and I'm having a hard time finding them right now so for the time being,the doors stay white. I need to go too Lowe's or there is a local company that may have the molding I need. Probably need 4-500 lin. ft.Hope you all like the green I helped pick out. I think it looks better now that the doors are on.
Will check in later, Capt. Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #44

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:Hope all is going well. I'm going to kick back and see who else is on. Have you heard from Sarjay R? He was going to fly to I think Florida and bring one back to I guess California. I just wonder if he made it ok?
Anyway, I will check in later, Capt. Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I flew to Atlanta, GA an d just delivered the unit last night in San Francisco CA. It is a 96 Class B built on an Econoline 250 chasis. Real nice except it had no bathroom. Came back alont I-40 and was wondering if I was far from where you were. Yeah, I made it OK, except that the steering was worn so bad I was real nervous every time the wind came up. . . along I-40. . .

Taking it real easy today, resting it off. . .

Say can you get new panels to replace those 4 circuit panels that came with these rigs? I don't want to upgrade to 50A, as I do not really need it, but I'd like a few extra slots for breakers. Oh, and a better fuse block fir the 12V stuff. Mine measures 5.5"x7.5" has a twin 20A and a GFCI 15A then the 30A main. It is made by General Switch, and I cannot find any replacement breakers or upgrade panels for the thing. I'm guessing that I'm looking in the wrong places though.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sanjay R, I just added another box to the old panel and that gave me the needed breaker space for the current breaker,[Hot Water Heater] and will have room for My new project,A new line for the Micro/Convection Oven. That still gives me more space for two more breakers. I ran a pigtail from the 30 amp breaker to the new panel and it is fed by the genset or line in without any extra wiring hassles. You can get a 110Volt box but whoever did this one used a 220 Volt box and used a 30 amp breaker that was a 220 volt. They placed a 10 gage jumper from the one lag to the other and that was how he got around the old box. I'm going to add two breakers to this new box for the Micro/convection and another circuit for the bedroom and outside outlet. They only used 12 gage wire for that one circuit. In one of my posts above it told about My 'problem' I ran into putting in that bathroom ground fault. Five outlets [one outside], Is too many for one 20 amp circuit. I'm going to add a line to the sofa and outside outlet so only the the bathroom,dinette and fridge will be on that 20 amp leg. I will cap off the old line and use 10 gage wire and another 20 amp breaker for that sofa and outdoor circuit As long as you use the right size wire for the load and the right sized breakers you shouldn't have any electrical problems. The biggest problem is that with that protection you could connect more than 30amps to this coach as the Main breaker in the 220 volt panel was a double 30 amp 220 breaker. Now I have the generator and line in going thru a single 30 amp breaker. That will keep the line and generator from being overloaded. The way it was before, You could put 60 amps on that line and not blow the breaker. The way I have it now, only 30 amps max. This should save my home from burning down!! And also keep the brownouts down too! Thats most likely why I kept blowing out the microwave tube. Too many Items on that line and 12 gage is to small for the load. I didn't know that all those outlets were on that one 12 gage line!! I guess I'm lucky I didn't already!!
Anyway, I am taking a break to let my doctor see me and also heal some. On top of that we are getting another wind storm and That means take meds that make me sleepy!.I hope you didn't have to much head winds on your way back home! I was glad you got back ok. Have fun and I'll check in later,Capt Dan

Ps, sorry but missed the 12 volt side. You can get 6 fuse boxes at Checker or Napa or Auto Zone. I have a new 6 fuse model and it takes the same blade fuses that the dash and my truck use. I only needed six and You can add another box to that one with a 10 gage pigtail.
Check in later, capt. Here is a picture to help
Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #46

You could swap it out but the panel box would likely be larger just wire it right . You should be able to get GE breakers (ours came from Lowe's... we do keep an extra breaker in the closet since the GE's aren't available everywhere). Ours took GE TQP breakers (kept old box just upgraded the really old breakers). Make sure your wires are in good shape. You can't go over your 30 amp usage at any one time. It doesn't matter how many breakers you have if you stay at 30 amps or below. If you go over, you will trip your 30 amp breaker.

You can't go over 30 amps on a single breaker with a 30 amp main but you would be tripping your main (at best). None of your appliances should be pulling 30 amps anyway. Your breakers should be sized to the max motor amps pulled. For example, our AC is on a seperate 20 amp circuit. It has a duplex plug on the ceiling that we use to plug the space heater into since we won't be running the AC and heat at the same time. We have our fuse box set up as follows:

GE TQP circuit breakers
Main breaker (30 amp)
Circuits 1-2= 15 amp ground fault double breaker (Kitchen double duplex, Microwave, Refrigerator, Freezer and an exterior weatherproof duplex)
Circuit 3= 20 amp (rooftop RV AC unit, Ceiling duplex that we plug the electric space heater into... sometimes the hair dryer, my FLowbee hair cutting machine and the vacuum cleaner too but not all at the same time!)
Circuit 4= 15 amp (converter - runs 12v ceiling lights, 2 Bedroom duplexes powering VCR/DVD/LCD TV and the bed's heated mattress pad, 2 Living room duplexes powering the front LCD TV and my computer and the switched electric duplex powering the water heater's electric element)

We have a battery powered smoke/CO detector.

My kitchen appliances that plug in consists of a toaster, crock pot, bread machine and tiny food processor.

We plug a thermoelectric cooler and a clip-on electric light into the exterior weatherproof duplex.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Shes right Sanjay R, If I try and say run the a/c and the convection oven and the fridge and waterheater has the electric switch turned on, I'm going to blow something up for sure!!
I have invested in a amp meter panel and hope that I can manage the electric better than I have. It has a volt meter too!Glad when it comes in, Capt.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #48

I have run the AC unit, Ref/Fzr (they cycle on/off for short periods of time so it's not a constant draw), water heater, TV and microwave all at the same time. We don't have a convection oven so that's not a draw we worry about. If you look at the labels on most appliances, you will find the power usage. Otherwise you would need to find a solar site that gives that kind of info.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
A few new pictures of the fresh water tank install and I finished the shelfs next to the entertainment center. Didn't do mush else as I had to go to the doctors today. it is going to be hard to handle as they want to do a battery of tests,and they gave me nitroglycerin. Yep, I am having some heart issues!
Anyway, I'm going to continue working on the home as I can.I think I'll tackle the bathroom next and save the worst,for last. Check in later, Capt.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #50

Maybe you should slow down a bit for a little while? Just do what you gotta do to live in it and hold off on some of the things that can wait a little bit.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, I am going to slow down. I'm taking the next couple of days off as I need to do a blood fasting for tomorrow and I'm kinda hung over from the headache pills. They have me double up on those. I feel blah,but That headache,Still there!Maybe next week I will know something...I hope!
Check in later, Capt.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I wonder whats worse, Laying around seeing things that needs to be done and trying to ignore them, Or doing them?? I've been laying here all day watching tv,Copying Movies from vhs to dvd. I had a rather large collection,I have been able to put 3-6 movies on a dvd from vhs tapes. I've also been taking all the photo's from all the trips and family etc; and scanning them into the computer and burning them to cd disc. That will take alot of weight out and also free up storage. The only tapes I can't do are the Pre-recorded ones that were bought. Those I can't copy and I havn't been able to find them on dvd as most of them are "old" sci-fi or Disney movies. Anyway as I can find them I can throw out the tapes.I've got a collection that goes back 20 years and movies that go all the way back to the 20's or 30's or so. There are alot of movies that deb and I both like. In the winter months or if we are having bad weather then movies are a good way to 'kill time'. I don't like driving in the rain as the truck can kick me into a spin or jackknife. Even with the Brake-buddy things can get dicey sometimes. I posted over on Sarjays R's site a web site for us. I've been working on this for almost a week now so it is a work in progress. I also posted a bunch of pictures here in the photos site. So thats all folks , for now, Capt.
http://www.picturetrail.com/homePage/rvtravelers1997
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...The only tapes I can't do are the Pre-recorded ones that were bought. Those I can't copy and I havn't been able to find them on dvd as most of them are "old" sci-fi or Disney movies. Anyway as I can find them I can throw out the tapes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have run into the same problem with my movie collection. I hve been dumping VHS versions as fast as I can find cheap DVD versions (usually thru Wal-Mart). I have hit the point to where I will have to start using sites like Critic's Choice Video to find some of my more uncommon movies. Unfortunately I will probably never be able to find 2 movies I really love on DVD... the Maurice Sendak version of The Nutcracker Ballet and Medicine River. I've heard the both are not on DVD but haven't recently searched the internet for it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #54

Yeah, I did that "laying there seeing all the things that need to be done" thing in the bath this evening. . . It cqan get real tiring when you just dumped $1300 into your car in the last month. Good thing I have work coming in. . . Maybe I'll even have enough left over to put some on the rig. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, I went to the VA today and the vampire took a gallon or so And they checked my heart and the ekg confirmed that I have one. Only thing is they wouldn't tell me what all those squiggly lines on the paper said? Have to wait till I see the Doc. I'm waiting for three other appointments for testing.Maybe I will hear something next week. Till then I Promise I will Take it easy..er!
Check in later, Capt.Dan
Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, Hit a little snag here. I have installed the water heater a few weeks ago. It has dsi and Gas or electric[110V] The 110 would work even if the 12Vand gas was off. All I had to do was flip the switch and hot water in awhile. Now it won't work with110. I have checked the 110V side and I have power to the element. Can or could that element go bad in a month??The gas/12volt side works and If you flip the switch there is voltage to the element. Kinda narrows it down. The instructions tell me everything but how to tell if the element is bad. They read like stereo instructions. If anyone has had a similar issue, Let me know as I tried there site and..Nothing.