Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #631

Vintage RV Owners Club
It has a clutch fan in it right now redneckexpress,and i can't hear it kicking in and out. I had a flex fan in another van i had back in the 70's. It made noise but i lived with it then. This truck has a bit of good insulation between the engine compartment and the cab. I may switch over to electric fans later. I have the electric fans i had on the trooper. One of them was cracked. I will have to get another one when i have a few more bucks. I will try the flex fan first. I have more things on my list of goodies to put on the truck first. Power steering, Power Brakes, Maybe a 5 speed trans, or a 700R4 automatic overdrive automatic trans. Am looking for the parts i need for all of that. Don't know about the trans but would like a few more gears so i can pull a travel trailer behind it. was wanting to get a full sized truck and travel trailer back in 2007 but Deb wanted this old bucket of bolts over a bigger home. Now she has changed her mind. A little late but i hope i can find one in not to bad shape. I can get all the good stuff out of this old bucket and transplant them to the trailer and run this buggy over the scales of a metal recycle yard. The aluminum will also be going down too. I will knock down the wood and make a nice campfire out of it. I am also going to sale the motor and transmission in it too. Now all i need is to find a trailer that is worth rebuilding. I don't really want to finish the rebuild anyway. I kinda feel like i am throwing more money after bad. I think if i read right that i can haul 8000 pds behind it. Will be looking for 6 or 8 ply tires for the truck. I am thinking about getting a slight change in the rear end gears. It could use a bit more lower gear for power to start it going. I don't like slipping the clutch.A automatic would have a better time with that too.I can use the trans cooler in the coach for that and the oil cooler too. I may keep the generator as well. Nothing wrong with it at all. Should be able to find a tank and a place i can cut out the hole to use the box from this old coach. Lots of ideas but don't know if it bare fruit. Just have to see. I think a 30 footer travel trailer should be big enough for us. We have lived in this 25 footer for 14 years now. Could use another bit of room. Will let you know, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #632

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
It has a clutch fan in it right now redneckexpress,and i can't hear it kicking in and out. I had a flex fan in another van i had back in the 70's. It made noise but i lived with it then. This truck has a bit of good insulation between the engine compartment and the cab. I may switch over to electric fans later. I have the electric fans i had on the trooper. One of them was cracked. I will have to get another one when i have a few more bucks. I will try the flex fan first. I have more things on my list of goodies to put on the truck first. Power steering, Power Brakes, Maybe a 5 speed trans, or a 700R4 automatic overdrive automatic trans. Am looking for the parts i need for all of that. Don't know about the trans but would like a few more gears so i can pull a travel trailer behind it. was wanting to get a full sized truck and travel trailer back in 2007 but Deb wanted this old bucket of bolts over a bigger home. Now she has changed her mind. A little late but i hope i can find one in not to bad shape. I can get all the good stuff out of this old bucket and transplant them to the trailer and run this buggy over the scales of a metal recycle yard. The aluminum will also be going down too. I will knock down the wood and make a nice campfire out of it. I am also going to sale the motor and transmission in it too. Now all i need is to find a trailer that is worth rebuilding. I don't really want to finish the rebuild anyway. I kinda feel like i am throwing more money after bad. I think if i read right that i can haul 8000 pds behind it. Will be looking for 6 or 8 ply tires for the truck. I am thinking about getting a slight change in the rear end gears. It could use a bit more lower gear for power to start it going. I don't like slipping the clutch.A automatic would have a better time with that too.I can use the trans cooler in the coach for that and the oil cooler too. I may keep the generator as well. Nothing wrong with it at all. Should be able to find a tank and a place i can cut out the hole to use the box from this old coach. Lots of ideas but don't know if it bare fruit. Just have to see. I think a 30 footer travel trailer should be big enough for us. We have lived in this 25 footer for 14 years now. Could use another bit of room. Will let you know, Dan
We put one in our 1985 Chevy Suburban after a rebuild. That thing can be heard from a block away when the engines running at its high startup idle, and this within the enclosure of a Silverado Truck body!
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #633

Vintage RV Owners Club
Man what was wrong with it?? It wasn't [I]That[B] loud in my van..Maybe you had something else happening. I have heard that some people have,( can't Believe this) run a flex fan on a fan clutch!! I kinda doubt it but never know. i have heard worse. I am aways from getting it to tow all the way. So i can wait on the cooling system right now. This one does have a clutch fan on it. I might put the fan with the new clutch on it from my motorhome.I think it was a 6 blade fan. I found a fan shroud for it. One piece and totally intact. This truck came with a alternator with a separate voltage relay. I am switching it around to a new alternator from the coach. Its one of those high amp models. Has the voltage relay built in. I think it can run 90 amps if i remember correctly. Anyway, I want a trailer to live in and to be able to travel in as well. Will have to see how this plays out. Dan
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #634

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Man what was wrong with it?? It wasn't [I]That[B] loud in my van..Maybe you had something else happening. I have heard that some people have,( can't Believe this) run a flex fan on a fan clutch!! I kinda doubt it but never know. i have heard worse. I am aways from getting it to tow all the way. So i can wait on the cooling system right now. This one does have a clutch fan on it. I might put the fan with the new clutch on it from my motorhome.I think it was a 6 blade fan. I found a fan shroud for it. One piece and totally intact. This truck came with a alternator with a separate voltage relay. I am switching it around to a new alternator from the coach. Its one of those high amp models. Has the voltage relay built in. I think it can run 90 amps if i remember correctly. Anyway, I want a trailer to live in and to be able to travel in as well. Will have to see how this plays out. Dan
Nope, we traced it to the fan, cause once the RPMs dropped down, the fan slowed and stopped making noise.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #635

Vintage RV Owners Club
huh..Well i may rethink it. Let you know. I don't like the fan and clutch deal as it can do the same. I haven't heard mine so far but the one on that coach sure does! The one on this truck could be bad. The coach has a 6 blade fan. I am planning on using it on the truck but my buddy had that flex fan so i guess i will go with the unit on the coach. I am going to be stripping out the coach and may have a buyer for the engine and trans. Not sure but he's nibbling the bait! That would be some good bucks for the trailer we want. Anyway thinks for the info and will catch you around the site later, Dan
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #636

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think the big difference Dan is in the shaping and ordering of the blades. Flex fan blades, do just that, they flex and I think at high RPMs their wobbling is part of what was making the noise.

The viscous clutch fans use an offset blade configuration, usually made of heavier steel, which isn't quiet, but reduces sound as the clutch opens when less air flow by the fan is needed. Those fans sounds more like a large house box fan (Low rumble) on high than the whining noise the flex fan did.

I still want to upgrade to an electric, myself, since there's been more than one occasion where I've had to change gears to spin my fan up to keep the engine cool while creeping up a grade.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #637

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just a new twist here for now. I am looking at a trailer, but not sure how much yet. The Managers told me if i had asked me a couple of months ago i may have had it for free. But not sure right now. I am not sure what had changed but will ask about it when the owner is here. It says Kountry Star on the outside. its right about 30 feet or so. Has a blond oak wood interior. Don't look to beat up. It has one window that needs to be fixed. I need to get inside to see it and figure out if the roof has leaked and what is really wrong with it. They said i could get in when they get back. They will be back tomorrow evening. So..Maybe Friday. I looked at the tag on it but is sun beaten so bad i can't figure how much it weighs. I can tow up to 8000 pds. Has aluminum siding and what looks like rubber edpm. I like the two big windows in the living room. It looks like a queen island bed. Maybe by next year i will be completely out of Dusty and will have to come up with another name for the trailer if we do get it. The girls said if they ask more than $500.00, turn it down. I am giving a couple of shots for you to see it. I am in tight money right now. If i can sale the new engine and transmission i can use that money to help pay for the trailer and whatever else i may need. If you do know about that brand let me know ok? Later, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Home.. maybe 001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	858.9 KB
ID:	14332   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Home.. maybe 004.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	832.3 KB
ID:	14333  

Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #638

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, that thing is almost an exact clone of my old neighbors rig. The difference was his was a Prowler, were as that is a Newmar (They used to make Kountry Star TTs).

She definitely looks a little beat up.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #639

Vintage RV Owners Club
Its needs a window and a good car wash! A coat of wax, And inside needs some work but nothing much bigger than that. I have seen a lot worse for sure. I haven't seen the roof yet and will get to really see the inside and look for leaks and also if there are any soft spots on the floor. I will be looked all over to see if anything is in need of repair. Its not a done deal yet. Depends on what i find and the price. I liked what i saw from the windows but couldn't see everything. Will let you know. If this does get bought then i will start a new thread and let this one go. Should know by next week. I hope we can get it. Not sure how old it is. I will give more when i find everything. o stay tuned, Dan
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #640

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking forward to some interior photos
Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #641

Vintage RV Owners Club
Its a late 70s-80s rig, based on the window design, color scheme and doors (Almost all RV doors are rounded top now, vs square). The water heater and the A/C may neither be original, given that they're stark white and more stylized than the rest of the rig.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #642

Vintage RV Owners Club
I was thinking that but just don't have the info on it yet. When i go inside it i will take shots of it for sure. One thing i do like is the fact that anything i need or want, i can strip out of this coach. Between the truck and that or some trailer I got a bunch of parts for it. I hope it is a good one. Kountry star are made by Newmars. I don't know about back n the 70's. They are in the top of the market but other than that, i don't know much. Should have more info tomorrow, And i will get lots of pictures. Later all, Dan
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #643

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Ok, we got into the trailer today. The owners wife was here but she said that she would ask the "boss" what he would take for it.
I have found the tag and it is a 1987 Kountry Star. Don't see the length yet. I need to take a tape measure and see what that is. I think it is somewhere in the 30 foot area. I have a bunch of shots at the Picasa link. Two things i don't know yet. What happened to the fridge door and why the bolts for hinges on the freezer door. I also can't find a water pump switch in the kitchen, There is one in the bathroom. The other question, Where is the control panel at??? I looked everywhere and no soap! Don't see any holes anywhere in the home and the kitchen or bathroom don't have any signs of a panel. I may have to put the one from this coach into that one. Deb and i were looking at it for a hour or more and i Like it and Deb is coming around. I know they called the managers this evening. As to what they will go, I don't know yet. I sure we will find out soon.
I posted the photos at the picasa site. Follow the link, Dan
Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #644

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just a quick note. The trailer is almost 35 foot long with 44" of the tongue. Its 96 inches wide. Ceiling height is 76". I can live with that!, Dan