Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #659

The wind resistance plays a major role over the wt.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #660

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, It is a 1/2 ton model but it is..or has a camper package in it. Whoever had it before had a slide in it. No tailgate. A brace for a battery bank and a isolator for that battery bank. It has airbags on it. Not sure if they work or not. Still to be done yet I have been working on the electric issues and fixing whatever the kids did to it. Today i really went to work on it. I got the grill clean of any flat black paint, The chrome really shines!! The inner part of the grill is gloss black. I painted the cab today too! It is now back to white. Pictures are in the picasa site. I still have to put the doors back together yet and dash too. Hope i can get that done tomorrow.
I maybe a little scarce for the next week. We are managing a rv park where we are. The girls are taking ten day vacation. Good time as the snowbirds are getting ready to come in here. Later, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #661

Vintage RV Owners Club
I got a break today and went to work on it again. Cab is finished but for the Dash pad. (need to find one). If i can, i would love to find a set of shoulder seat belts for it. Am looking at the different salvage yards. One should have one. I found a condenser that will fit and i took and pulled the fans and transmission cooler off the motorhome.I had put new air horns on the motorhome and they have gone bad for some reason. Chucked them but kept the compressor, May find some air horns somewhere. With some luck, I should be able to put the grill back on and see just how good that looks. Be so glad when we get this check coming in. It was good timing!!. Will check in later, Dan
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #662

A web site for junk yards is:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Just plug in your zip code
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #663

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Buddy, I will be checking it out today, Dan
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #664

Vintage RV Owners Club
They have a heater controller for 35 bucks!! Not bad! Thanks for the site Fleamarketer!!! I have been walking around the different Auto Salvage yards around town. Did get the shoulder harness/safety belts and steering wheel. Also a sway bar out of a 1 ton truck! Have the condenser in and the trans cooler. I have the fans to install yet. I just quit for now. Tomorrow is another day. Later, Dan
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #665

Vintage RV Owners Club
I got the front two smaller fans installed. he back two will have to wait till we get this check coming from the family business. I can get the parts needed then. Need two more mount kits for the other two fans. I got a sizable list for the truck. Still looking for a trailer for us. But i can continue the upgrades to the truck. should be starting the exterior work sometime next week. I want to get the fans totally installed so i can put the grill back on the truck. I jammed the fenders. so i can install it and then mask it when i paint the truck. One of those boys did some crappy body work and i have to get that mess fixed. After that i only have to sand the skin rust off and maybe a skim cote of putty to make it smooth. I am also putting a coat or two of Gel cote to the cap too. Now a straight tailgate... Dan
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #666

Vintage RV Owners Club
I took a nice day off!! If you like or better yet love...nature..And are planning a visit to Tucson Arizona, Make one of the stops to the Desert Museum!!! Went there again and saw all manor of wildlife. Saw Bears, mountain lions and beavers raptors, Hummingbirds,Ducks and yes even snakes. I took shots of the different types of rattle snakes that live in the Arizona area of the country. There is about 15 different types of rattler. One of those is a sidewinder!! You come in and watch as they don't seem to have a reason in the world to move or strike the glass. Once in awhile, You could see there tongue flicker at you like they could see you but then with the tongue they can't get any smell so they don't do anything else. Today they were feeding and you can't even believe how fast they come to life!!All you could see was a blur..!! One mouse dead and then they swallow and back to laying around!! Takes about 2 minutes. I love it when we can see the raptors too!! I got them on video today. Also pictures! I can't get the videos on the Picasa site but i will post the pictures themselves. Tomorrow, I guess if someone twists my arm....i might consider working on the truck and looking for a travel trailer. Later, Dan
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #667

Vintage RV Owners Club
Shot down in flames! We have been waiting for a check for the stock holders. My wife is one of them. Its been four years since the last one. At first it was going to be sent out in the next week or two. Now, it may be a couple of months. So...No parts for the tow vehicle...and not enough funds for a trailer. So much for that, So, I will work on what i can afford till it comes in. Dan
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #668

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do have a few things i can do. I am installing the new mirrors and i installed the new grill today. It looks great compared to what it did look like. I am installing the side steps one day this week or next week. I have a few small things i can do while waiting for funds to catch up with us. In he meantime we can look for a trailers we like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front grill.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	15085  
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #669

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I got the mirrors installed today. they look ok, but are a bit weird. one thing about it, I will always know where my truck is. I had thought about the west coast mirrors, but changed my mind. These stick out about the same and they look good so i will keep them. Shot below and on the site, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirrors 001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	15115  
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #670

Question

Dan,
Now that it seems your stripping Dusty,what is going to happen with the 454 from it and what condition is that in??.

I missed the part why you decided to move to a trailer??.Last I knew you where unhappy about the roof repair you paid for,but was going to handle that yourself.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #671

Vintage RV Owners Club
The 454 is in great shape other than a timing chain and gear set. I am putting one in it to make sure it runs correctly. Then it will be for sale. Everything but the alternator. The other stuff goes with it. Haven't figured out how much i want for it yet. It and the transmission are going to be sold. The trans is in great shape. It has Allison clutch packs and a B&M converter in it. It has a shift kit in it,(mild). Just a firm shift not the neck breaking shift. It can pull 26000 pounds with that trans/ Engine combo. The trans. is a th400 but with the special brake on the tail shaft they call it a th475. Not ready to pull them yet. I will let you know when. I am sure that the engine just needs a gear and chain set in it. If i had thought about it i would have put a new one in it when i was redoing it. It has a torque cam in it. I had the trans built to work with that cam. Both were built for that motorhome. When i am ready to sale it for sure i will let you know, Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #672

Dan-I was just curious about the engine.You way too far for me.Still I am wondering what made up your mind about Dusty??.