Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #673

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thats easy fleamarketer...One word...SPACE!!!! Run out of it!! want a bigger home. I didn't want to rebuild Dusty, But Deb wouldn't comply. Now she's been kicking herself in the butt all buy herself!! Her family and i both tried to change her mind! She wouldn't listen to any of us. I started with all the repairs and you can remember the rest. We can live in this coach for now, but want to find a 30 footer i can fix up without Major repairs. I don't mind working on it. Its good for me to stay busy.I get kinda happy about working on my home and truck. Since they took me off those drugs that were shutting me down, I have way more energy!! I'm getting speedy!!!! Actually a little hiper!
I got the doors finished today and primed and ready for me to start in again Monday. I take the lords day off! There are 11 more holes all over the body that are dinged and ready for me to grind off the metal. I get them finished, I have two places that need body work and Then, just sanding down to get it ready to paint. I have never had this much energy since 2008. They loaded me up on drugs and you remember what happened then. They almost killed me. BP of 50/33 is not a good blood pressure. This last year i was working at a thrift store for the historical society. The meds were getting to strong for me again as i was loosing weight. two months ago I had the same problem. The BP was 65/40. Way low. That's twice they have tried to kill me! Anyway i have been working on the truck and having to still loose weight and has been working out a'ok!!! They want me at or around 180 and i am around 195. BP is great, My A1C is 5.3 The stuff they took me off of have changed me like 180!! Gary, I feel like i did when i started with Dusty. Staying busy has been good for me! I take breaks as i need them and some days i don't do much or i have something else to do but i have really been doing well! I am down to four pills now. I would love to loose them too!!! I will post a couple of shots later of thwe repairs, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #674

Dan taking out that engine isn't going to be a easy job.Might be better off just selling Dusty off as needing some things.Just my two cents worth bud.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #675

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not me!! I have a friend who has younger boys that are more than up to the challenge!!! I am also going to get there help when i am ready to put a automatic transmission too! The hardest thing i am doing is body work. That's what i have been doing for the last couple of days. Don't have much of that to do but am getting it ready for paint. Later, Dan
Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #676

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking

I am so dead!!! I have spent almost $500.00 today on parts for the truck!! If you don't hear from me in a couple of days..you can deduct that i am dead for sure!! I still have to get the ring and pinion, and figure out what i want to do with the carb. They are crazy priced at over $225 each!! I tried a kit and not much help. I am thinking it may need jets and maybe a throttle rod. It sat for 10 years so, I'm going down o see what this place on the south side of town has to say. They Only handle Fuel Injection and Carburetor systems. I will do that tomorrow. I got enough stuff to keep me really busy for awhile! Now....December....Christmas.. Hey truck..what you need for Christmas???
All kidding aside, I Will survive! She has asked how much i think i need and when i told her how much could i get...it started...I should be out of the hospital tomorrow...Love the new crazy flat top haircut!! Dan
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #677

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Carb kits only help if its a complete rebuild kit. In order for improvement, you have to complete tear down the carb, then soak the metal bits that are always exposed to fuel in a good solvent mixture for several days, then clean afterwards before reassembling.

This was the only way we got our 85 Suburban's Rochester Quadrajet to work well.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #678

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking

Yep, Thats what is happening to mine! There is a shop down in town that works just on fuel systems. They rebuild and flow test everyone before it goes out of the shop! I took it there this morning and dropped it off. Should have it tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning. I also bought a set of ring and pinion set with crush sleeve for $200.00. The Carb is $250.00. That along with the $500.00 i spent yesterday will end my demise for sure tonight!!!
That will get it running good for awhile. I have body stuff for the scale rust and dings. Primmer along with the thinner too! I might be able to paint it by say the end of January. Waiting for the other half to get home and i have my affect's in order... Later...She just came home, Bye!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #679

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Feel better Dan, you just didn't catch and break a fiberglass dually fender that you spent the better part of a year getting to look good.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #680

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ouch!! That smarts!!!! Still don't have the carb yet. Should have it tomorrow. That and the Ring and Pinion set too! I did get the gauges installed but i over cut the new hole for the trans gauge. I think i can fill it in so it doesn't show.

Anyway i didn't get much done but should tomorrow. I will be glad to have it back on the road again. later, Dan
Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #681

Vintage RV Owners Club
Carb is in. Works good, so far. They had to replace the Jets in it. Stopped up tight. The ring and pinion came in this evening. I have to take Deb down to see her doctor and i can get the set then. Tired!! We have bad weather coming in so i am taking the weekend off. Later, Dan
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #682

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well,That didn't last long...The carb is junk! Will be going down on Monday. See what they think. I have issues with it idling and stalling and stuttering and stalling out. One time it works great. Next it stalls and gives you a hard time starting back up. Going down the road it starts missing sometimes. I have tried to get the thing set for best idle and all the sudden it dies and then you reset the idle to make it play nice again and then it does it again without any warning. The other side is that sometimes i have given a 1/2 turn on the idle and it gets too high a idle. again it may take minutes or the next time you start it up. I have put the Vacumn gauge on it and it says that the engine has no issues but when it starts to stall it shows that there is a vacumn leak! I have tried to get the gasket to seal with a little spray copper sealant, No joy...! I think there is a valve inside the carb that is not working well. I don't think it is the float. Will find out Monday. Another issue is the temp sender for the gauge. The gauge says below the 100 mark. I have sent 12 volts to the sender to see if it would jump the gauge, I tried the ground the gauge and nothing. I have checked the hot and ground and the gauge wire is hooked up and i have left the ohm meter hooked up and the meter shows different values when running the engine at idle,' It shows the engine warming up'. I think the gauge itself is bad. Its under warranty so, back it goes. Monday should be fun.......
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #683

Vintage RV Owners Club
How many stages does your carb have? There's 2 and 3 stage carbs, our old Rochester was a 3-stage (Kicks down three times as it warms).
Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #684

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, 3 stage. Took it down and they checked i out and found a couple of small leaks. The egr valve has a small leak and there is another pipe coming out of the exhaust side that is working toward leak. They found it and the other one so i am going to use a block off for the old egr. The other i will have to heat and put in a pipe plug to get rid of that leak. Tomorrow i will do it. way to cold and rainy. They say we will warm up again so i can work outside again. Hope to get warm enough to work on the ground when i put that ring and pinion in the rear. I am also going to have to make a forward pipe so i can give it the big bore exhaust i want to use. I have the muffler and tail pipe. 3 1/2" pipe. Have chrome tail piece for that too! Am wondering how it will sound. I always liked the Camaro with that 2.8 in i. I am hoping it will be something like that. See if i can make it Brappp! When it rained last night, I found leaks in the cab and the back as well. I have got to find a gasket for the back window! As for the cab. Not sure where it is leaking from but the stereo got wet enough that it would not work but the clock did so i am hopeful it has no permanent damage. The cb was ok. The floor on my side was wet and water puddled on the floor mat. The rear part of the drivers side door was wet too!! Thats the first time i have had a leak in the cab!! Anyway, its two steps forward and three back.....Dan
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #685

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well.. I got the heater core in today. Flushed the system out with that flush stuff i used. Have the new hoses and thermostat and new cap to go with it. I ordered the wrong size hose for one leg of the heater core. Will have it tomorrow. Also i am going to have to remove the dash again. That new temp gauge just won't work so they will have to eat it. If the weather does what they say, I could do the rear end Thursday or Friday. They say we have another storm coming...Again.... Later, Dan
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #686

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, A day behind and still behind. I had to change a few things and redo a couple of other things today. I had a water leak coming from the heater core and i needed to pull it back out to see what was happening. Somehow, I punched a hole where the screw comes threw the case to hold the heater core in place. soldered it up no foul. I took and ground the screws down a 1/8th and put them in plenty of clearance. Then i put it all together and i found a water leak in the radiator no less! When the old man that owned this truck had had a accident, he did from what i saw, his own body work. There was holes in the side threw the wheel well He also did some mickey mouse on the hood hinge and The radiator had a leak at the inlet on the same side as the accident. He JB Welded it. I had to grind all that junk off the neck and part of the radiator can too. There was three small holes i found after i had cleaned it up. Soldered! Put together and no leak. Another mess fixed. After much thought...I am thinking that most of the work i have had to fix..was because of the accident. That kid bought it for shop class but was a real bad truck for that. The end result was not a good truck, just another chapter..
Anyway I have most of the bugs out and time for a small break and maybe Tuesday i will replace the ring and pinion gear set. That way the weather will be back to warmer and dry again! That is the last work to do on it till after the new year. I might install the new automatic transmission but don't know yet. Not sure if i want to do that or body work. Have to wait and see. Shots of the fun on the home site, Later, Dan