Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Still no hot water?? Copied photos into computer, And vhs to dvd's. That and a quick stop at the store for a couple of things. I'm keeping my promise, Nothing to hard. I want to paint in the bathroom. I may try that and see if I get any pain. If I do I will go and lay down again. This sitting is getting old,quick! Check in later, Capt.Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, You won't hear from me for awhile as this computer stopped making copy's on the discs. and right now I can't make a backup of my pictures that I've copied.
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Compaq Piece of junk!This thing loves Besy But More than Home so I may just give it its wish and leave it there!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Removed the program and re installed the software for the printer. No good Then i tried to update software, this time it downloaded about 9 program updates and after the restart it is copying the pictures again. Best Buy got away clean, this time but I'm wondering what happened to the program to begin with?
I did a scan and nothing with AVG or AdWare. Nothing from Spyware Blaster too! If a bug got onto the computer, I can't find it. Soo, Another mystery!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, enough already! Rest break is over!! I started in on that back area of the coach that I've been putting off for years. This unit has been in some kind of accident and they used Silicone and bent the bumper back and said the heck with it. I added more to that over the years but never checked and fixed it right! When that hole appeared I didn't hook the two things together, But I went up and cleaned up the hole and put aluminum flashing and fiberglass so the roof is fixed. I just need to prime and paint there, Now that filon piece that has the taillights in it that goes from side to side, Thats a case all by itself.I took it off and started to fiberglass the right hand side. Tomorrow, I should be done with the panel but I have a bunch of spiderwebed type of fractures all over that area so I got gel coat to take care of it but you have to sand and clean it real good before you can use it. I will start that tomorrow. I will post a few pictures and that way you can see that damage. Capt.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here, Use the link as it is easier than trying to get them one at a time http://www.picturetrail.com/homePage/rvtravelers1997

That is so much easier, Capt.Dan
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,Well, I got more done and the photos are on my web page. I used aluminum flashing and pop- rivets to hold the two pieces together and used fiberglass to reinforce the crack. On the back side I really built it up. I painted the taillights and they will need one more coat tomorrow. The rest is sanded and ready for primer.
I have a question, does anyone know of a source for getting the front and back bumpers straight and both need to be re-chromed?? I doubt that anyone would have good bumpers tha twould be like new. Another option would be to build and Paint bumpers. The front is twisted and the back is starting to rust and has a bend in it. The front is starting to show some rust too. I think it could be re-chromed. There was a place here in Tucson but it burnt down last month, so that was the end of that! Any Other ideas??
Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #63

Try antique car folks or the Hot rodders. They are good sources. A good auto paint shop should know who is doing chrome work. We have a dented corner bumpers on our Eagle. We have bounced around wether or not to fix & rechrome (which will look odd with the other "old" chrome) or if we should simply "Rhino Line" the whole bumper assembly (our bumpers are in several pieces). But it was at an antique car show that we located several chome outfits.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tanks Lorna, I know of someone who might have a contact thru Corvette's club here. I'll let you know. By the way, What was the problem with the web page which one or page did it? I will change it. Let me know, Ok. Capt.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nothing much to tell today. I finished the fiberglass and primed that I am going downtown tomorrow so I need to pick up some supply's. They are calling for a chance of rain thru the weekend and I'm going to cover the back area so we don't get any surprises! A 10% chance of rain is like hitting the lottery! If I don't cover we will get rain, If I cover, No rain in site! I hate the lottery! I was going to remove all the clearance lights and clean off all the silicone. I will use silicone on the light housing itself. But I don't think I need a 1/2" os it all over the side of the mh!?
I need to do the same with the corner lights to o! The old putty tape has oozed out from behind the lights so I will clean that up and use silicone on the light itself. That should keep it locking good for a few years. I didn't take any new pictures of the work so as porky pig says, 'thats all folks'!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #66

I recaulked our lights with the white elastometric roofing caulk (the brand I used was Henry's because that's what I had access to). Seems to work much better than silicone. Cleans up with water. I did mine in 2 coats. First coat filled the wire holes and coated the back of the lights. Screwed the lights to the RV and let dry overnight. The next day I caulked and filled any pinholes around the light bases. Mine is on a curved part of the front/rear walls (clearance lights) so I have some pretty good sized gaps. Did the same on the lights on the sides. Looks good and clean. I've been using the elastometic caulk on a lot of stuff because it seems to last better than the silicone. I have even "top sealed" the metal edge banding that we replaced the butyl tape in. I'm hoping it will help keep the dirt build-up from happening on the butyl tape. I have used some siliconized "Door & Window" caulking too (water clean up so not pure silicone). I've scraped too much silicone off this thing to use any myself.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:38 AM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Anything is better than silicone with an RV. Silicone has a nasty habit of popping and its nowhere near as moldable. I've used the Henry's brand myself and had excellent results with it.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, I guess it is going to be Henry's! I was going to something called Lexel? similar to silicone, But alot stronger. I will see if Roadrunner has that in stock. Thanks for the info. I'm at the VA right now so I will check in at the rv store going home. Thanks Joe and Lorna both. It's the help from all of you that is helping me to rebuild this coach! Couldn't do it without your help! I wil post later how it goes, Capt.Dan
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #69

I bought my tube of Henry's at Home Depot. Lowes has a different brand of elstometric sealant. The nearest RV store to us is about 50 miles away! So we use the local hardware stores. Don't use a whole lot of RV stuff anyway. We use mostly regular house construction stuff. Ever try to explain to store staff that you want to use something to do something that it wasn't designed to do?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a Home Depot about 5 miles from me and the closest rv place is Roadrunner RV and thats about 15 miles so, Yes I have made them turn there heads a couple of times. YOU WANT A WHAT!!! HUH??? DO WHICH??? I love to play mind games with there sales force!! I had to put all the stuff away as we are under the gun for rain soo I duct taped the opening's, and finished the clearance lights on the back of the coach. They look great!I wanted to take a couple of days anyway, to kinda kick back. The rain is suppose to be out of here by Monday so I may get back to it by then.
One good piece of good news; I got a Air-Compressor that has a 18" air tank and can handle a spray-gun so I can prime and paint with it!! $50.00 bucks! It sails for $125 anywhere or more. I can get a air-gun with two cups for about $35.00! Man can I find them sometimes. The law of averages I guess! It may be a el-cheapo but if it will let me do what I have to do,Its worth it! I'm Harbor Freight bound! One air-gun,coming up!
Have a good weekend and I changed that before the rebuild with that lighting and blueish purple. I hope that was the one you said was hurting your eyes. Have a good one and SarjayR, Hope things are better! Check in later, Capt.