Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #687

Vintage RV Owners Club
Playing a hunt day! Travel trailer hunt. Would like a Fleetwood ultra lite model. Got everything done but the ring and pinion set. I will put it in later this coming week. I took a trip down to town this morning and i saw people looking the truck over. Guess they like that model year.I am planning to get the tools back where they belong and cleanup the rest today. It cold out and cloudy. The weekend is supposed to be like this all weekend long, and clearing out Monday. Hope we do get a little rain so i can see where the leaks in the cap are. I know i could just run water all over that area and find them that way, but living in the desert we don't waste water. Some out here do and they are the ones eating away at any reserves of water we do have. We have been on a drought for years now!! Some just don't care at all. As rv'ers we use less water than anyone else in the towns around Tucson!
Anyway i am off the soap box, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #688

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
The late 60s Chevy's in my opinion are the most beautiful of their entire line up. After the sixties they went kinda boxy and then downhill from there. The 50s trucks were neat looking, but undersized for what most of us use them for these days, plus harder to find parts for.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #689

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes sir, I feel the same way. My dw doesn't get it..Don't understand why it costs so much to repair or replace parts but try and tell her you can pay little now or pay big later. If i was to buy a truck like this one new or even 10 years old.. it would cost over $16000.00. I see them all he time out here. I have $1500.00 in this one right now. That old saying about "Where's the beef???" applys. She keeps up and i am going to charge her labor...That should about do it!
Anyway, back to it tomorrow With the rain we have had this weekend, I should see where the leak is in the cab and the back of the cap too! Having a hard time figuring out where it is leaking at in the cab. Its somewhere under the dash. It kills the radio when it gets wet and i see a puddle on the floor..my side. I think i will pull the vent wiper panel and see if i can find a hole in there. I can't see the under hood holes getting water to flow uphill. Anyway, I have my work cut out for me. I am finally doing the ring and pinion and should be able to do the cab lights too! Hope so.... Hang in there, Dan
Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #690

Vintage RV Owners Club
Arrow

Can i just shoot myself in the foot!! I pulled the cowling off and didn't really see anything out of wack. Sealed the wiper motor and found a seam where the two pieces of steel are put together. I sealed the radio antenna too. All back together. I had pulled the radio out so i could see the wiper motor from the inside and i couldn't see anything that would be Called "wet". I hooked up the radio and it plays fine. Drive home and it quit again. I shook every wire and shook the radio and nothing. It said it was on the station and the clock works but no sound out of the four speakers. I turned off the key and went to acc, and it worked again. For how long..... I think the stereo is biting the dust... It may have got wet and that caused that issue but I am not sure right now. The one i see in the wally world on line has Pioneer head unit with front speakers and rear speakers in a neat package. $129.00. I don't think i could go wrong. Come to think about it, I should have stayed in bed........
Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #691

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dan, I've had those days to often lately. I would advise against the pioneer radio. I went through 3 of them in less then 2 years in two different vehicles. Now I have a no name cheap Walmart radio that works great and has excellent sound. I paid 50 for it at Walmart and have no problems. I think its made by LG.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #692

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't think its the radio. I think its a short on the door speaker. I had already checked out the firewall and sealed it up. I went and climbed out to move the gate at my friends place and when i got back in, It quit again and just for kicks i opened the door again and it started it back to playing again. When i got home and slammed the door shut it quit again. opened it again and slammed again and it started working again. If one of the wires shorts out it stops playing.Fixed!
Next is the rear-end and that will be tomorrow. I am having help as i did something to my right hand. Yesterday, I had pain in the hand and a little pain in the shoulder. This morning my hand and wrist were both swollen! I have a brace on it right now. I am trying to get it about half so i can do this job. I really need to get the rear-end fixed as it will self destruct if i don't. I can take several days off after that. Just wish i could figure out how i injured it?? I'm doing the hot and cold wraps, and hope that it will be ok tomorrow. Thats all for now, Dan
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #693

Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't you just love company's say that the ring and pinion kit is complete. All that was in i was the ring and pinion! I need seals and shims. Bought seals and have them in. As for the shims, tomorrow. I have everything else to fix it with. Am tired and sore. Getting off and after a hot soak, i am going to bed! Later,Dan
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #694

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You certainly are persistent, and that is a good quality to have.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #695
R&D

Still Reading

Not sure if you can see the stats of who is subscribed to the thread but I am still following the saga thru email updates. Like a mini reality show each day. Keep up the blog.
Robert
Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #696

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

He!He! Too bad i couldn't get a show like this!! Good news is the rear-end is done. Its easier to start up when on a hill now but only about 4-5 mph off on the speedometer. I will be pulling the pan one more time to flush the fluid out and make sure there is no issues with Metal particles in the fluid. After that i will have Lucas in it. Nothing much else right now to do other than a leak or two in the cap door. Will also work on the body as well. Unless something comes up, I am taking a somewhat break from the truck. Holidays and just need to mend from all the cuts and right hand. Still don't know what i did to make the hand hurt. Have it wrapped right now. Hope it heals soon. Later and Happy Thanksgiving to you all, Dan
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #697

Happy turkey day Dan.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #698
R&D

You have any formal training in mechanics? I have been shadtreeing off and on for 42 years (starting at 8) and I had to take a day off working on my pickup so I can get to work Monday. Working under a time limit gets you hurt sore and making mistakes.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #699

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, You are right. Thanks Fleamarketer, You and all a Great Thanksgiving!!
R&D, I have been a mechanic now since about 8-10 years old. I went through Mechanics training when in the Military and worked on heavy equipment in West Virginia. I also have tech school, "Too many to remember", I am retired and am or have been a full-timer now for the last 14 years or so. i also did that several times in the past with Van conversions and tenting as well. I wanted to get a truck and travel trailer before this last mess started. Deb wouldn't listen and we fixed up the motorhome. She wishes she had listened to us. So,..with most of her money spent on the coach, when we had this beast about done, We couldn't travel much. We have less than 100 miles on the coach since the rebuild. Now, enter the truck! And after that we want the trailer too. Am looking for a older travel trailer or a ultra light trailer around 30 foot or so to pull behind this truck. Not sure how much we will travel but may do some. Another thing is we can use the truck to get back east in case of a family emergency. So here i sit looking for a new home, " for us", and fixing up the truck. right now except for body work, the truck has been fixed to where it was when new. The next things on the list are aftermarket updates that i want. So, I will continue to work on the truck till we find the trailer we like. Funny how things work out. I had thought of starting a new thread with the truck and hope soon, trailer. Hindsight.... Have a great weekend and turkey day, Dan
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #700

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, What a deal. I got four almost new tires today! They came off a set of wheels that the guy wanted and he was saleing the tires really cheap! $50.00 for the four and he threw a front end alignment in for free! They look brand new if it wasn't for the dirt on them i would say they were brand new. They are six ply tires too!! He wanted the rims for some 31X10.50R15 tires he has. My tires did look to small for the rims! You would think it was Christmas with this "gift" i got!! That just saved me over $400.00!!! Merry Christmas to me!! I have a small list of things i want to get done but am taking a break for a bit. I have been breaking my back on this truck and i needs a break for awhile. Also, I need a few bucks for the kids in the family. I will start up with more after the holidays are over with. Have a good holiday!! Dan