Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #715

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
In a non-basement 8' truck camper, here's how its usually plumbed:

Black tank, 6 gallon, underneath shower floor, toilet on top, both shower and bathroom sink drain into black tank, usually most folks modify this an add a diverter valve to allow the shower to drain off to the outside directly.

Grey tanks were usually hung underneath the wing so that the drain from the kitchen sink emptied directly in and then that was run down to a drain valve.

My 11' camper has no independent grey tank, just one large combined tank with a diverter valve assembly at the main drain point. The main waste tank hangs underneath the floor of the camper on the outside in the portion that over hangs the rear.

Fresh water tank was located inside of the step up to the cabover. Basic rectangular tank that sat on the camper floor and was enclosed so that you could step up to the bed.

This is where the 30 gallon fresh tank on my camper is located.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #716

Vintage RV Owners Club
Humm..The dinette is at the side or end of the bed. U stand on it to get to the bed. The old man who had this truck had a exterior fresh water tank in the truck. I can use that for the fresh water as it is there. All i need to do is get another tank for it and a pump. The battery's are no big deal. He had made a bracket for them. So you say that i only need a big black water tank and do the valves the way you said, And put the toilet on the floor between the toilet and tank and build up the floor and what add a skylight so i can stand up in it. Is that an idea? That would give me the bath and the other closet for our clothing. This one would be small enough for me to close the tailgate on the truck. I don't even have to move the tag on the truck. Now if i can get that woman to see my price. I have one other idea to check out and see if he might have one. I have a few friends that do there thing trading things back and forth and sometimes you can catch a good deal in between. options...always have a few if you can! Need to go visiting tomorrow er shopping tomorrow.....Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #717

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Wow, straight 8'ers are rare. Most old Slide ins were 8.5' so that it came back flush with the end of the truck bed.

And yeah, if you go camping where there's full hook ups, or dry camping where they're not going to complain about grey water being run out onto the ground (or you can do the old 5 gallon bucket route) my usual method of grey water disposal will work fine.

However, you will have to ditch yer tailgate if you add the waste tank because your drain pipe will be sticking out of the rear wall of the camper for your black (or combined) tank and likely be a little longer than the remaining space in the truck bed.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #718

Vintage RV Owners Club
hummm, What if i made a door for it that would open only with the tailgate down and then when dumped i could close the valve and the door and then i can take and close the tailgate? I saw a dump tank that was in the neighborhood of 24X 18X 6" high. If i can use that i could hide the valve in the base. Just an idea. Anyway, i will have to get the blasted thing or this could be a moot point. Most likely i won't know anything till after the new year. She has my phone number but i would think she does have family around here somewhere. I also have a few friends that may have one or know of one for sale. The 8.5 you talked about..you said that i would have to take the tailgate off, did i read right? What if it is say 9 or 10 foot long?? Anyway i got to go shopping as the dw wants to get something for??? Later, Dan
Old 12-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #719

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
hummm, What if i made a door for it that would open only with the tailgate down and then when dumped i could close the valve and the door and then i can take and close the tailgate? I saw a dump tank that was in the neighborhood of 24X 18X 6" high. If i can use that i could hide the valve in the base. Just an idea. Anyway, i will have to get the blasted thing or this could be a moot point. Most likely i won't know anything till after the new year. She has my phone number but i would think she does have family around here somewhere. I also have a few friends that may have one or know of one for sale. The 8.5 you talked about..you said that i would have to take the tailgate off, did i read right? What if it is say 9 or 10 foot long?? Anyway i got to go shopping as the dw wants to get something for??? Later, Dan
Yeah, the old 8.5' truck campers came flush up with the tail gate opening, some a little longer with a skirt that went over the tail lights, depending on manufacturer.

The 9' campers will have an overhang behind the end of the truck, so tailgate is off when used, same as when I load my 11'er.

10' Camper, same deal, but with 2 feet of floor and extra space behind the end of the truck bed.

I don't think anything much over a 9' could be safely carried by your C-10 without at least an axle upgrade for the rear. Even with an 8.5', most of the fully self contained units may weigh more than what the stock 15" rim tires could carry. Most camper hauling rigs have 16" rims using Load Range E tires. 15" rims I think the highest you can go is a Load Range D in an LT tire.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #720

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, the 15" wheels could handle 6 ply radials at 50 psi. That is the main thinking for a 8.0. Its big enough but also light enough for the half ton trucks. There are a few manufacturer's that actually make a couple of models based on the 8.0 but i think if i read right we in the 9.0 range, But were made for the 1/2 ton trucks. Now if my rich relatives would give us a few thou, i could afford it!!
I am going down to see a couple of friends tomorrow and see what they have and if not maybe a extra ear to the ground and maybe find a unit for us. Will let you know, Dan
Old 12-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #721

Vintage RV Owners Club
Its still there but she wasn't so i don't know about it yet. The for sale sign was still there. I worked my butt off today. Have a few sores and a stiff neck to show for it. I drained the rear-end and after cleaning it up i resealed the rear and filled up with clean new Lucas Synthetic lucas. Has 85w140 in it now. I found a leak in the front seal but i am thinking it was being unable to vent pressure. I found that the hose was just on the hanger but no valve in it and it was stopped up with dirt. That has been fixed. I hope i don't have to remove the hub and replace that new seal again. Will keep my eye on that. I am still banging the rear drivers side fender on the bed itself. I have been pulling and banging it back to some sort of metal shape so i don't have to use too much bondo on it. Tomorrow i am removing the inner fender from the back of the fender. Have to cut it off with a torch. Once i have it back where it is supposed to be i can spot weld it back and weld the outer fender to the inner. I need to make a piece of metal for the back of the wheel well. From the accident it was removed, never put back on and the fender just wiggles around when going on down the road. Not only that but if i fix it and i peel a tread off back there it will destroy that fender again. Need to make that back piece for it. I can copy the one on the other side. Shouldn't be too hard to fix it. I'm sore and am planning on hitting the shower and bed. Later, Dan
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #722

Vintage RV Owners Club
I got it all as straight as i can. It looks close so i started to weld the beast back together and wouldn't you know it...The welder quit the job on me. It needs a new cable and while at it the housing too. I couldn't get the cable out of the hose and was able to get the wire back out of it. Will see what they say tomorrow. I can still make the pieces i need for the mount and bracket but need to weld it. Larry has a spot welder so i may use it. I got the panel off the other side. That will give me the measurements for the new bracket on the other side.The fender is looking like Swiss cheese with all the holes i have put in it. Should be fun when i start filling that all in. The good, I will be able to use less bondo...the bad..I have to use bondo! I don't mind a skim coat but when you have to build it up over a 1/8 inch maybe. It gets heavy and don't want it to crack off. once i get the brackets built and installed..it should be sturdy enough that the vibrations shouldn't cause any cracking....i hope.
I am wondering how much that cable will run and if we can get it. If yes, then i may be able to use it Thursday. Hope so. Have to wait and see. Not planning to do much as will have to go downtown...way downtown! That could kill a couple of hours or more, but its ok, Maybe my back will stop hurting. Getting to be a pain in other places if you follow. Its a pain to get old after being broken up. My back, the doctors won't even look at it anymore. They will control the pain but i don't like all those meds. I only take them when i really need to. Today is one of those...again. Needed them yesterday...and tonight.... May take the whole day off and see if i can get the pain to go away. Later, Dan
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #723

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hole filling is when you use the fiberglass strand filled Bondo instead of the regular. I used it to fill in gaps and imperfections on my dually fenders.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #724

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tiger hair! Hate that stuff. I have it just about there but have to get the inside braces in first and then i can figure out if i need to bend more or not. Want it all together and in place before i do any bondo. Up front on my next piece of work i might need tiger hair. The drivers side front fender has a big,( softball sized ), hole right at the end of the bumper. I can bend some metal in there but getting it perfect.. no way hosea! Another area is under the doors where the inside floor meets the door is gone. They make retro panels and am planning to use them and weld them in. A little bondo to smooth where you weld and let it go! I may use a little tiger hair there instead of bondo. The rest is dent fixing and smoothing. I say about 60 to 80 percent done. That and DA the scale rust that seems to always show on the bends of the body and curves too. I am getting close to having it ready to paint!! Come on Spring!!!! There is a guy up the street from us who has a 70 Chevy and is painted like it was off the dealers floor . It has the blue with the top of the cab in white. My truck was that way. I don't want a blue truck but wouldn't mind the blue stripe with a white truck. He has the 6 cylinder with a automatic in it. He's been offered $5000 for it! Really clean truck!! No newer pics yet. will get some tomorrow, Dan
Old 12-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #725

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, i am out of Bondo so no more work till next year..ha! I got three light coats on but am still finding high spots and low spots and will need to address them as i get ready to smooth then. I need a break anyway, so i am taking the rest of the year off!! Hope you all have a safe new year and will be back next year! Pictures don't really show up the body putty but it looks better than before. Pic's are in a folder called body work 4, Dan
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #726

Vintage RV Owners Club
Halt!! I may be switching gears again! A young couple over across the road had a 1991 Layton 5th wheel and the wife's family had a cow about them living in a 28 foot 5th wheel. So...They bought a 34 footer and they got more room and less complaints about them living in a smaller home. The 5th wheel is going to be for sale! Maybe a $600.00 deal!!! Deb has looked at it and the boy would do it in a heartbeat but his wife and my wife will be the decision makers. Now i have that storage pod and the other storage shed too! Till we get it ready to move into i can be moving things around. It has a new fridge and the water tank is ok but i want the new one we bought. The roof don't leak and its light color wood, but not golden oak. Its lighter and the floors have the same color plank wood flooring in it too!. It has blue trim inside but the outside stripe has green and a couple of colors in it and should match our awning close enough. I love it when things work out just right when needed. I think i can tow the fifth wheel easy with the Chevy as it is longer but less weight. The hitch will come with it and i have the brake controller for a trailer i was towing behind the motorhome. I can switch tires on that trailer as i can as they would need to be replaced before i can go down the road. I think i know where a tool box is that would fit into the bed in the front. The cap would go and i really didn't like that cap. I had plans to switch it out for a aluminum cap. But not on this deal. There is a bunch of room under the front for my tools. I love how my Higher Power helps us out. I lost the deal on the slide in. This one just came to us! I will be removing everything out when we know for sure. What a sweet deal god has made for me. He is really doing for us what we can't do! You may think i am crazy but He Lives and i know he does!!! What a Christmas present!! Best yet!!! Wow..First the truck and now the home too!!! I am 95% we have it, because he wants us to have it!!! The boy does too!! I think Deb is coming around and all we need is for his wife to think about it and then go from there. Yes i am happy!! I do have a couple of question's on it. Is there anything that i need to pay special attention on it and any other issues with the 5th wheel? I drove tractor trailers back years ago so i know about the things on the hitch and things you need to up keep on like the wheel bearings. It needs a little tlc like the truck does. One other thing. This motorhome has a brand new th400 tranny in it and it has the emergency brake on the back of it. Can i take that brake off and put a rear tailshaft on it and be able to use it on the truck. Wasn't sure but if i can use it i would like too!. Its already built to handle 19500 pounds and even with this trailer and truck i don't think it will be even close to that. I will have to see what kind of Gvwr the rear end has.Don't know. I can add Air-Lifts to the truck when i am towing it. They add 1000 pounds to the weight on the pin. Still have to keep the weight down on the pin though. Not sure what the pin weight is but i should be able to find that out and then check out if there is anything i need to do to it then. If the pin weight is light enough then i should be ok with everything. I have posted a couple of shots on my site that show the pictures of the outside. I hope we get it and i think we will. Dan
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #727

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good luck Dan! Hope it all works out!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #728

Vintage RV Owners Club
Me too!! Need another break! Dan