Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #729

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry haven't been here but the new hard drive in this computer crashed without any warning! We did get the fifth wheel and got the hitch for it too! So, I now have two projects to handle. Looking forward to that. Will be back as soon as i can get this thing working better. Its acting up and i think it may crash this drive too. Its a 8 year old hard drive. I hope it lasts till i can get the new drives to install, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #730

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am going to close this thread about the truck and 5th wheel. Want to start it up on a new thread and let Dusty die in peace. So i will be on a new thread, Dan

Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #731

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Excellent news! Heading to the other thread!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #732
R&D

New topic link

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/are-n...ck-112039.html
Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #733

Vintage RV Owners Club
Red face

Well, I didn't think that i would be back here again. Some of you are going to question my sanity over keeping our motorhome over the bigger home with that 5th wheel trailer. Do we need more room?? Yes. Are we going to get another home?? Not sure. Too many questions that we are asking ourselves. How this will work out?? Not there yet. We will be getting rid of a lot of stuff before we can go and i need to fix this engine and front brakes. Might have to fix some wiring that was damaged from mice chewing on them.
Sometimes we really have to do hard things that we really don't want to do. There are some options for us once we get to where we want to live. We both have our Veterans loan benefits, that would let us buy a home,(small). We are looking into that right now. More on that later. Will we keep the coach?? Not to sure on that. Lots of questions but not many answers right now. If you saw my last post on the 5th wheel trailer, Maybe you could get some ideas on why we are at this decision. My health is not as good as before when we were rebuilding this coach. and i still had to have a shop do the things i just couldn't do. Its not better right now but getting worse.
Folks, i am getting tired. Worn out. getting used up. My health is getting worse with my COPD. I may have to go on O2 soon. I just can't do what i did say 5 years ago and i can't do much better now. Sorry about this, but i thought you would wonder if i didn't tell you what is happening to me and Deb. I will start this thread back up when i get closer to starting on Dusty. Later, Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #734

Thought you had your hands full because I hadn't heard from you in a bit.

TTYL,

Gary
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #735

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm pulling all the logs out of the fire fellow.Its not really the amount of work, as much as i just can't do what i did just a few years ago. My copd is getting worse and we will have to find another place lower in altitudes to where i will not have to use O2. I am hoping to not have to go down that road for a few more years.I am going to get the trailer sold this fall or winter. I will get the title clear before i can sale it. I have the bill of sale.
I am fixing up the truck but not as i was before as it is just to hot!! Feel like i am in hell!!! 107 today and 111 tomorrow.Not good! We will somehow get out of here by next spring. My main issues is timing chain, brake flex lines for the front axle Thats about all on the coach but maybe some chewed wiring under the dash. Can't tell yet. I am waiting for the cooler weather to get here first. The truck will also wait till then. The flatbed trailer that i have will be fixed up a bit. Nothing really big, just little stuff. If we can get it done during the winter, we might take off even earlier. Have to wait and see...
Old 06-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #736

Either way,trailer or coach,you'll be back on the road again which is what I thought you wanted for sometime.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #737

I suggest you tackle the timing chain first to see where your at.I wouldn't think you engine is a 0 clearance engine,so if it's off acouple of teeth,you should be ok to just replace the timing set.Dan stick with a timing chain and sprockets.Those gear drives overall are bad news for your use.

Got me thinking here.I have seen some 54's eat dizzy gears and you did do a cam swap.Might want to see by pulling number one valve cover and looking at the rockers to see if the timing gear is off or the dizzy is off.TDC on number one @ 0 will tell you alot.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #738

Dan-don't want to clutter your thread,but COPD huh.You too??.I was told I am in a exclusive club for Spiriva and Dulera.Ya know..............LOL!!!.Gezzzzz.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #739

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, a pain in the a$$!! I hope i don't have to start taking o2 for awhile yet. I will be checking the cam and chain for whatever is off. My thought is that the timing chain was weakened when my brat tossed the bolts and nuts down the carb. It bent several valves and busted a piston so it could have screwed up the chain or maybe the cam gear. Will find out when we get it apart. Most likely will start tearing the engine apart in September. It starts cooling down then so i can work in the morning or late evening. Check in later, Dan
Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #740

Dan on that one are you going to be able to drop the pan enough to get off the timing chain cover or are you going to have to lift the engine abit??.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #741

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have to remove the radiator and all the pulleys and p/s, alt and a/c and then the water pump. After getting the lower pulley off i can remove the pan and gasket to get to the timing chain. Reverse is the way to get it back together. Not all that bad really. Don't have to raise the engine at all. On another note, i may have found a 67-69 GMC. Its a 3/4 or 1 ton model. All kinds of pieces i can get off the truck. Its in worse shape but still has goodies for my truck. Will know in the next few days on it. Thats all for now. Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #742

Vintage RV Owners Club
well, I started a new item in the coach. I am building a new desk custom style. It has to fit over the rear wheel wells. Can believe that they used Plastic wheel wells at that!! Its slow going. It is getting harder to breath and i see the doctor in October. I have lots of things to do yet but have to take it easy while i am repairing things. I have worked on this desk for a week and not even close to be getting done. I have the top of the desk in place and so i hooked up the computer again. So far, i love it. Takes a bunch of bending off my bath.
Getting off this thing, Storm coming in, Later, Dan