Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Whats that saying about best made plans???
I was looking at those cracks that I fixed and they are getting fine line cracks again so the filon is under stress or flexing. I'm going to wait till Friday, I get the air-compressor Thursday and I have a friend that has a die grinder and I'm going to grind a V into those cracks and using cloth and resin fill and sand and see if it still wants to crack!! I spent the day pulling wire to the turn signals on the new Mirrors. All the wiring is loose so that is easier. Tomorrow I'm going to replace the air horns and compressor, and also replace the window washers as the pump went and I got a complete system to replace it. I'm also going to have to wire up a plug for 30 amp service so we can use the A/C.
Thats the quick and fast version. I'm beat so I'm getting off and take a shower and hit the bed! Capt.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, They were not calling for much of any rain so we are getting rain,on and off but not a good day for working with electric stuff. Today it is sticky and hot so the a/c is on for a change. Works good! I cleaned it and lubed the fan motor so it is nice! If it gets better I still have the air horns and windshield washer kit to install but I think today is going to be a bust.
Check in later,Capt.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Between the doctors and the finding of parts I have been busy for a couple of days. I got the parts I need to put the engine back together today .I got a set of rings coming,all moly! They are not cheap!!I saw my wheels and tires for the truck and they are pretty!! I love wagon wheels!! I'm waiting for parts to come in and a start date and time for the truck It needs torque bars, and a drag link! They are having to order the bars as the age is messing with us,a 87. Needs a drag link and a front end alignment and front sway bar bushings too!New shocks and a partage in a pear tree too!!
It's a great truck and in the9 months we have had her we have put 22000 miles!! I'd say some things should be done! That truck has over 200,000 miles on that front end!! The guy looked at it and almost fainted!! That many miles and all original! Not even a tie rod has been changed! He has been scratching his head as he walked away It has about 24000 miles on the new motor[ The main reason I got that truck] but the rest is almost original. Thats the kind of truck to get!! One that doesn't need alot! I don't have $1500.in her yet. If I put another $1000. in her I'm still ahead as you couldn't get another one that cheap that wasn't a 'rust bucket'!! This one, You can look under it and see the paint on the metal yet!Super clean! The funny thing about it ,is that in 1987, I almost bought one almost just like it!! I would have paid about $8500. for it new.Now I wish I had bought it,but at that time I didn't want to get rid of my van yet! Anyway, Back to the rebuild, Capt.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #74

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wind! Wow, it is a hawking out there!! I got the radiator in it's cage or whatever you call that metal frame the radiator in. I got the condenser on too and then... Thud! I don't know what or who but I'd love to run them over a few times so I could get there attention!! Someone has tried to fold or spindle the engine oil cooler and the trans oil cooler!! It took me the rest of the day to get all those little fins back like they are suppose to be! looks like someone sat on them both!! Nothing else done other than I got the windshield wipers done and the washers too! Other than that I didn't get much else done. I'm not quite crazy enough to work on the engine with all this wind! Hope by Monday it will be gone as I want a non-windy day to work on the motor.I want to get those rings and bearings in and the heads too! Then I can work from above.
Thats all folks! Capt.Dan
Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #75

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am going to have a change in my web site as they have a cap on the pictures we can keep, so I'm going to be on a different site. As soon as I figure out how to move all the pictures and set up the web page I will change the post site address.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, We have another web page and the clickable link is shown. Picture trails had a max limit and Google has such a high level and I can buy more that I switched! Anyway have a good one. I'm going to be busy redoing the Pages for the web page. check in later, Capt. Dan
Old 05-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, That was fun!! I've been removing all the doubles and more of each picture. It's done for now!
Tomorrow I'm going to try and finish the back and get the lights hooked up.In the afternoon, I want to get the front of the coach ready so I can work on the engine and get that put together. Maybe by this weekend I will have it working! That is a BIG hurdle out of the way for sure!!
I will let you know how the job is going. I want to be ready to leave here as we are under 'Red Flag Conditions'. That means that we could have a fire anytime and with some of these brain damaged people they throw the matches and cigarettes down and don't put them out!!
All it takes is one!! This whole area could go up! I want to be able to move out if that happens. Anyway I will keep you up and will check in later. Capt.Dan
Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
They were not calling for WIND! But, we got it today so...I did the bathroom paint instead. The pictures are on the web site on Google.In the bathroom album.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, I had to replace the vent fan motor already! That was bought March 1st of this year. It locked up and they gave me another motor..It works! I sanded the ceiling in the bathroom but it needed another coat. I will sand and coat with Katz and then two coats of white semi-gloss and the bath will be done for now. That makes the kitchen and cab and engine. I will wait till next fall and winter to do the countertops and the cabinet across from the stove and sink. I also need to finish the cabinet above the fridge,thats for the micro/convection oven.
I got alot done and less than more to do! It is coming along pretty well. tomorrow the rings for the engine will be in and I will finish the bath and then start the engine and when its done The carpet for the cab and the floor in the kitchen. At that point I'm going to want to get somewhere cooler for the summer or a swimming pool or??
I have two more appointments so far and one not made yet! Nothing out of the doctor so I'm gonna keep up with the repairs. I will have the exterior done before the trip too! This pup will look good with the new stripes and graphics done! With that much done I should have about 75-80% of the work done! Thats a lot of work in two months!!I can wait till after the summer is done and we regroup and can buy the other stuff and then I can get more done next winter. If that holds up,Next spring the coach and truck will be finished for awhile!
Anyway thats the plan and order of work to be done..I hope it goes like that, Then I can enjoy instead of 'o no, more...! Check in later, Capt.Dan
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #80

Okay, Now I feel really bad! I've only got the roof coated & whitetopped (between potential rain reports) and got a couple more cabinet doors stripped & repainted. Have to move back into the State Park across the street soon, so I am going to work a little more on removing nasty silicone from around the side windows and hopefully get one side of the camper primed. I think I figured out what to do about renewing my rear tail lights. I found a brushed aluminum entry door kickplate at Home Depot for $20 each. They will clear the height I need (6 1/2") but are much longer than I need (unit is 8"H x 32"L) but I think I will add a surface-mount reflector on the surplus section. All the other lights will be changed over to LED lights. I want to do that before we have to move. Then I guess I will start cutting art glass for the stained glass section I designed for those little angled side windows in the cabover. I figure I can do that in the campground with no problems.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ouch, Most campgrounds don't enjoy the sound of work in there camps! If they know you ,then ya have a chance. I was at one camp and they said no problem. Then the owner came by one day and wanted me to move over on the spot and I couldn't start the engine..Bye!! Thats why I'm at my Aunts instead of at the campground. Some won't even let you change a fan belt if it broke on there campground! I did it anyway as I wasn't going to pay $120. to tow it somewhere and then let someone else change it for me?? I did it myself and gave the one finger salute as we left!! I've never gone back there again. Almost heaven is NOT Heaven!!
Got the bathroom done and I'm getting the rings tomorrow as I was late picking up this evening. tomorrow is engine rebuild day!! I hope to have the heads on but we will see. Weather is the biggest decision, As wind is a big No-No!! I only have two bolts to take the oil pan off, and I'm not taking it off if there is wind! I don't want to do anything else in the kitchen or cab till the engine work is done.I can piddle around with the back as I need to sand and prime and I can replace the plug in the kitchen with the ground fault plug.
We found the carpet for the cab and also the material for the front and back windows. I'm making curtains for the home. Yeah, I know!! What else can I do?? I was told as a kid, that I could do anything I put my mind up to! Now if I could only learn to fly!!
Its getting there! And I have almost two months waiting for the doctors to do there thing so I can take my time as I don't plan to go anywhere until the docters figure out what is wrong with my heart or whatever is wrong with me.Right now, my last appointment is July 25th. I'm still waiting for one other appointment..Yet! Two out of three is what I have now. Anyway, I'm going to make a change this summer.I know that a lot of people stay in New Mexico and travel back and forth to the Tucson VA, so I might join them! Its cooler in Silver City or Lordsburg or Deming even. I'll see!. Check in later, Capt.Dan
Old 05-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #82

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
... also the material for the front and back windows. I'm making curtains for the home. Yeah, I know!! What else can I do?? ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back when David was living on a houseboat (pre-me), he made Austrian Balloon curtains for it... red velvet!

I found pdf instructions for Roman Shades on the internet the other day and downloaded them. Won't work for the Class C but I want Roman shades for the bus.... The things we end up doing!

I have a keychain that says "The only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house!" Sewing is NOT my forte!!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a old Singer that was in a wood box that held the machine and you had to lift the hinge to change the bobbin and had a little attachment to let you run thread to that bobbin and then you had to move the belt back to sew again. I don't know what happened to it but it was way older than me as my sister remembered it and sewed on that machine herself! I got a cousin that has a portable so I can use it.
I'm going to sew a cloth with Ironing board felt and that puts the insulation silver side out and the color I want facing inside. Havn't made up my mind yet to what color I want. We are looking at around 4-5 different patterns, Don'T know which one yet. Have time to make up our minds. Will check in later, Capt. Dan
Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #84

www.make-roman-shades.com
downloads a pdf for a free "pattern. I've bought store patterns. They are the same. Plus this site sells all the stuff to make roman shades (liners, cord handlers etc). The nice thing about the download is that it gives you an idea of what is involved without having to buy anything.