Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here it is, A day without high winds!! I start to get all the tools I need together and I find my jack and ?? Where is my Jack handle?? Both jacks are here, No jack handles??
Who in there wrong mind would steal a couple of jack handles anyway?? We have tore this place upside down and inside out and both jack handles are gone. So much for plans....

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:54 PM   #100

Vintage RV Owners Club
Got the engine partway done today!! The piston was punched and all the bearings put in and all torqued! The oil pan is on too! I still have the heads to do. Next week as I am putting the truck in the shop so I can get the new rubber and wheels and alignment done. I'm not to sure what they will find if anything, but I want the front-end checked with the machine. I got a fan-clutch and fan coming in tomorrow so I can do that this weekend. Its in the 100's during the afternoons so I am having a problem with it getting warm. It almost goes up to the 3/4 mark on the gage, so I don't hear the clutch kicking in and I was looking at the fan and it is cracked in a couple of places and was lucky to find a new one in Phoenix as they are not made anymore! That will finish the truck till next year! I want to take the body and strip it down and repaint it.Someone painted it before and at some of the seams you can see paint peeling, So I'm gonna strip it down and do it right. That is next year, This year is coaches turn. I got the paint for the exterior so after I get the engine gone and running, I can start the painting. I'm painting the stripes too! That will almost get the outside done. I still have a lot of work to do on the inside yet but I'm deciding what to do this week and and or put off till next year. I'm working on that list now so I can work out the plan. Need to have some estimates first as to what it is gonna cost. I still have to get the sat dish and get it up and running. I will know this weekend. This coach already looks so much better on the inside! Now If I can get the outside done it will look good on the outside too! Later all and have a good weekend!!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #101

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, I got the truck done yesterday but the center caps for the wheels was back ordered, So I have to go back when they get them in! What a difference, I went to Phoenix today to get a pedestal and while there, We saw a Amana seal-top range..Brand new never used!!! It came out of a 2007 trailer that was totaled. The price,$125.00!!! They cost over 380 to 425 depending where you go! Yes we also got the pedestal, $40. I'm going to replace the fan and clutch tomorrow as this took the day and I just want to sit back and enjoy some of the work we have put into this Motor home.Back to work tomorrow! Capt.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #102

Vintage RV Owners Club
HI, Its been a interesting weekend, I got the new HD dish with Directv, and tuesday the tech. will bring me a tripod and dish for the receiver and trouble shoot the system as it is running hot and when I watch the locals with the sat dish I only get two stations, but when I direct cable to the tv I can get them all,whether HD or Analog. both get the signal from the batwing. He is bringing another receiver with him so It should be done tomorrow.
On the truck, I got the fan clutch and fan but the fan is wrong and I am still waiting for the right one. Should be there tomorrow. I also got another thermostat and gasket.
The weather is hot and not feel'in like doing much in the sun but the winds are supposed to kick up over the next 2-3 days so, If we get a little rain won't be to bad but they say no rain with this storm so..no working on the engine.
thats all for now, Capt.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #103

Vintage RV Owners Club
Got the sat. dish done but The fan is another issue. They ran out of options on the fan so I am double checking all the bone yards for one. I've called every auto shop in town and nothing,including the Mazda dealer! I think I need to find a special place that specializes in older Mazda's! Anyway I'm gonna get some more work done tomorrow. Slow around here. Capt. Dan
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #104

Vintage RV Owners Club
Between the truck and the motorhome and the weather, Not getting much done. I'm getting old, must be. Wind is playing rock-a-bye baby right now!, And the rain is coming down here for the first time in about a month.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #105

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow! I got the heads on today!! Man, do they weigh a bundle. I'm guessing about 150 to 175 pounds!! I am sore and am going to bed early so Thats all folks! Capt.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #106

Don't over do it! You don't want to get sick.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #107

Worse, you do not want to do your back in. Be careful!!

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #108

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ahh, Yes the back...Its there and reminding me every second since yesterday!! Today, I had to take one of the heads off again as the gasket had somehow slipped and I didn't catch it till this morning. I got the new gaskets and I will get that head on tomorrow. Then, I will have to get the push-rods and lifters adjusted. After that I will pour a gallon of oil over the heads and camshaft. I got a gallon of 5w30 Vavoline and two quarts for it too. Dino to break-in. then I am going to that synthetic oil.Once it runs about 1000 miles It should be broken in and I can change over to the good stuff! It will be 15w40 and yeah, I know thats what diesels use but I don't want to run a straight weight oil. and 10 and 5 weight is too light for start-up here in Az. Also GM said to not use 10w40 as there is not enough oil in a quart and has more detergents than oil but that also holds for 20w50! I'm going to split the distance and go with what is for severe service, and thats 15w40. I've been checking and I can't find anything that says you can't use it in gas.
Anyway, that all I have to add and Glad to hear from both of you!! Hope you all have a great Fathers day, Yes Lorna, Tell the hubby I said happy Fathers day and I will catch up later. Have a good one, Capt. Dan
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #109

Vintage RV Owners Club
I did NOTHING Today!! I'm feel'in better but I'm not in shape to lift that head off yet!
I did get the grill cleaned out this evening and got the new burner in and the cast Iron smoker cleaned and all new lava rocks.After I broke it in I cooked on it for the first time since last July!! God, it is almost a year since that mess started. Time flys when you are having fun! Am I having any fun yet? What fun, Where is the fun and games?
If, I feel better in the morning, I may...Takes the head loose and see if I can just slide the head up onto the area where the intake normally sits.That would let me change the gasket out and If I am not hurting to much and I want to I may try and put that head back on, Only if I feel up to it. I'll play this one by ear! Capt. Dan
Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't yell!! I felt good this morning so I got the head off and replaced the gasket and got head on and cranked to spec!! I got the pushrods on and preset I will check them when I can turn over the engine. I also got the intake on and the headers on and cranked down tight. Thats it for this week. Ya all have a great Fathers day and will catch up with you all Monday. The pictures are on the site under rebuild 3. Bicycle!! Capt. Dan
Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #111

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, Most of the day I layed on my back under the coach!! I got the starter in and the wire rerouted so I can place the engine battery up front and that will let me get another battery in the box so I have two now for the coach. Still need the battery charger hooked up to that engine battery yet. I will finish that tomorrow. I Will get the battery box and I need to make a metal frame on the frame itself to support the battery. I am surprised that no one else had not already done this as One battery is only good for maybe a couple of days or maybe three on the outside. Anyway thats tomorrow. Wednesday I will be at the VA for most of the day. The rest of the week I would like to finish the paint so I can get my taillights working and take a ride!!
Will see if I can find the plugs and get them in and get the valves adjusted and the valve covers on and crank it up. I want to crank it over to make sure that there is no other damage I may have missed! If it is good then I can put the radiator and all the stuff on in the front of the engine back on and button it all up!
Will check in later, Dan
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Well, Most of the day I layed on my back under the coach!!.. so I can get my taillights working and take a ride!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean your tailights are supposed to work??? Mine aren't working right when I run my headlights! Bad ground I think.

While you were "napping" under your coach, I was removing the ancient vinyl striping with a razor blade... such an enjoyable task! And I get to do more tomorrow with the added joy of cleaning the residue off with lacquer thinner in 90 degree heat! Don't you envy me?

BTW, Coming back from Chattanooga, we had a flat tire on the class C (inner tire). The Valve stem came apart. It's hard to find a tire on a Sunday! Wal-Mart doesn't carry 16.5 (or any other 1/2 size). Our spare is in bad shape and we weren't sure if we could get it off the mount (under the RV). Check your spare tire guys! Spent 2 1/2 hours on that dumb tire... but did make it back here with no other problems AND actually made better time than going up.