Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #113

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I got the tests on my heart done today. I have one and it is in good shape!!! No blockages and my blood pressure is low and that could be one of the reasons I keep getting dizzy and light- headed! Next week I get to do the lungs and pulimenary tests!Nothing done yet on the engine but it is almost done and ready to start. More later, Capt Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #114

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, I got some food in me and I am feeling better now.
The only thing left is to turn the motor to bring it up to TDC #1. And then I can set the valve lash. And then turn it another 360 and adjust the rest. Place the valve covers on. Put the plugs in and the wires on the engine and crank it up!! I would say tomorrow. If it runs good, I can get the radiator and all the stuff on the front of the engine. That will conclude all the work on the engine and Transmission too!

The only other jobs are the levelers and finish the exhaust and paint the interior in the kitchen area and the cab area too! Re cote the roof, Paint the outside and do the curtains. I already got the rough price on the awning. Installed a little over $2500. Not bad for the electric model. If there is some money left over I will do the stripes too! I am going to wash this buggy this weekend so I can be outside and get wet and won't get all overheated! That way I can see if there is any other scratches that need to be primed and painted. This fall, I will do the stove and Micro-Convection oven. Going to take out the old stove and oven and make it a couple of shelves for the stove top and the other for the convection oven and I will run a separate breaker and plug for that! Beleave it or not but that and the carpet and the kitchen floor will finish the rig all the way!
It has been a long time and a long way to get it where it is right now and I am on the home stretch, as it were. There is some moldings to do too but those are minor and can be done later. I'm sure I have missed something but I can't remember what right now. If the doctors get my Meds straighted out and I should be ok too! There is always someone that gets missed but I don't know if I did or not, But thanks for all the help, Information and sites that ALLof you have given to me!! There is No way I could have payed anyone for the work I had to do andd when I was getting kinda down in the mouth, you always found a way to pick me up!! The only way I can repay is to offer my advice and the knowledge you gave me. With this project done we are going to be able to go on the road again! Many thanks and may your travels be safe and enjoyable!! Capt. Dan and Tweet
Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #115

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I think It is good but I got to readjust the valves again as I beleave they are too tight. The manual says to turn to top dead center and adjust some and then give the crank a full turn and that would be tdc#6 And adjust them and then if you still have play turn it down again. I did that and now there is no compression,So tomorrow I will pull the valve covers and turn all down a turn and see if I got any compression. Just a minor problem with a major need.
I got all that done today and I think it will be ok. so tomorrow it will start. Once that is done, I'm taking a break and let my body rest for a couple of days and a Friend of mine is trying to find some parts for the A/C system. I would love to take that old York compressor off and replace the unit with a Sanyo compressor and charge it with R-134. That way I can get rid of the old gages and just keep the 134 set. I already did the Mazda so it is super cold and I would love to see how much a difference it will make. That is one of the mods I did want to do so I will check it out tomorrow and then next week after resting I can get all the other stuff done and take a ride in it.
Well thats it for today. Have a good weekend and I will see you all later, Capt.Dan
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #116

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, It is a good engine!!!!!!! It roared to life today and ran smooth and strong!!! Has a good heartbeat and "wants to go"!! I am SOOOO Happy!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #117

Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #118

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Lorna! Its still party time for sure!! I can really call it a "MOTOR-Home"!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #119

It's 10AM here and my thermometer says 102F. We're supposed to head for the TN mountains towards the end of July. Can't wait! That's what wheels on your home is for.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #120

Vintage RV Owners Club
If we were going to have a major flood or whatever,the way I feel right now,I think I would welcome the 'end'. I don't know what has happened but my body is in pain and have a headache that would bring down a moose,for sure. I wish I could feel better but I can say that we are going to have some kind of rain or something soon!! Will check in later when I feel better, Capt.Dan
Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Feeling somewhat better but don't have much energy. I did get all the front of the engine all back together and I lost none of the bolts and nuts!! I must be getting better at hanging on the bolts and nuts! Got the air horns plumbed and god they are loud!! I started the engine again as I wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It started right up!! That motor has go fever for sure!! Thats all for today. tomorrow I should get the radiator in and all the stuff in place and I can start it and let it run and see if there is any leaks. Later all, Capt.Dan
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey Lorna, I'll change places with ya! I will send the heat from **** and you can send those 102 degree temps to me!!
It was 105 under the coach today and out from under it,you don't want to know!! I do know it was over 110 but by how much I don't want to know! We are adding a new element to those temps! Something called Humidity! They are telling us that there is no sign of the Monsoon but the Ho-Hum-a didy,Is going up and there was some signs of moisture just south of the border!That has a two-edged side to it as the moisture comes in the temps don't go as high, but the nighttime temps stay higher than with no humidity. The down side is in the morning, You feel like a hot moist towel is a blanket and you can't get it off!
I stayed inside most of the day till around 3 this afternoon. I worked with the doghouse and painted the pedestal I got for Tweets chair.The doghouse had three separate cracks in it! The big one was almost two feet long! The other ones were about 4" and 2" each! I drilled the ends and cleaned the backside so I could use pipe strap and screws that are really short so as to not poke thru the skin. I used J B weld on the crack and when hard,Fiberglassed twice and once that is totally dried tomorrow I can install the insulation blanket on it and get it ready to reinstall! That blanket is from a kit that you can buy and install yourself. It is foil faced and is about 3/4". I'm not sure what the actual blanket is made of but it was made for doghouses and to cover the starter so the headers can't damage the starter. Neat stuff and comes with the spray glue and makes the whole thing look like factory!
Anyway, Tomarrow I have to put a pressure test on the truck and see if I can find a small water leak. I thought I had found it but I was wrong again. Hope it isn't the water pump.
Thats all for today. Thursday I will be at the VA all day so I don't think I will get much done. Check in later, Capt. Dan
Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, I found a minute leak in the top radiator hose connection. I only got about a 1/2 turn and it didn't show till 25 psi, But that was the only leak I could find.It still ran kinda hot today but it isn't cool outside. Will keep an eye on it!
The doctors did the rest of the testing on me and I have to go back in the morning. They think that since I lost over 40 pds, that the heart med is too strong and that is causing all the dizzy spells. They said it was 104/64.They say that is low???? Anyway they will try a new med and also another pain med for my neck and lower back! I don't know if I will get anything done tomarrow as it takes about 3-5 days to get the med out of the system.
Thats all for now, Capt.Dan
Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #124

Vintage RV Owners Club
Update, The thermostat was pulled and I made a washer that would give the radiator a chance to kool the water and put that in where the thermostat was and refilled with 50/50 mix It was running about 1/2 way and that is normal so I hope that will hold till I can get the fans and then I can fix it right.
The Doctor took me off the Blood Pressure pill and wants me to keep a check on it and if there is any problems call them back. I was at 227 this morning and that is my old weight before I quit smoking in 98!! I want to lose 10-15 more pounds.
Hope everyone has a safe and great 4th of July!! I will be envious as I have to stay where it is 108-112 these next few days!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #125

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
I was at 227 this morning and that is my old weight before I quit smoking in 98!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I can install the insulation blanket on it and get it ready to reinstall! That blanket is from a kit that you can buy and install yourself... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta do that. There isn't a drop of insulation on our doghouse... or on the floors! Got really hot going up to Chattanooga but it was almost unbearable on the trip back. We moved back into Dixie RV park today. We found out on our last trip here that there are FULL HOOKUPS!! And they cost the same as a W/E site (summer rate $300 per month). So we stopped in at Sam's Club and got set up for a Dish net system (install on Monday).
Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #126

Vintage RV Owners Club
That kit was I think about 30 dollars I think! It is HOT here today and they say 115+ this week!!!
I can't fight those temps. I am planning to get the coach together enough to go north where it is cooler and finish it there and then come back down in the fall. I have a couple of friends that have a spot for us to do the work and they also have a rv store so If I find I need something, they will have it or order it for us. I have one more doctors appointment on the 25th of July and we can get out of H**l!! Plan to be there by the end of July. I have some work to do on the truck too but both should be ready to travel buy the end of the month! Glad you found a place you like and not a bad price.
Have ya heard from SanjayR?? There was a forest fire somewhere up in his neck of the woods and I havn't seen him on-line! I hope he is ok! Later, Lorna,have a good 4th!!