Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok this where I can let you know whats going on with the rebuild. I uploaded several photos that show some of the damage but I can't get at the worst yet. Hope to soon and will add when I can. Like I said, These are labors of love and respect. We don't expect those of you who have newer homes to understand but then, sometimes we don't understand it ourself's so that said, Lorna, SanjayR and I have our work cut out for us and work to be done! Let the fun...Begin!! Capt!

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showga...at=683&ppuser=
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok this where I can let you know whats going on with the rebuild. I uploaded several photos that show some of the damage but I can't get at the worst yet. Hope to soon and will add when I can. Like I said, These are labors of love and respect. We don't expect those of you who have newer homes to understand but then, sometimes we don't understand it ourself's so that said, Lorna, SanjayR and I have our work cut out for us and work to be done! Let the fun...Begin!! Capt!

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showga...at=683&ppuser=
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #3

Capt.Dan, Where do you have the pictures at? I'd like to see them. I've done this once, no expert but I'd like to help from a far.

Document everything. When your finished it wil be neat to look back at.

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
go to photos and I think you fave to sign in again as that is a different site from the forums. Once in look up rvtravelers1997 and then view picture albums and I have two the first shows some of the mh and truck too also some of our travel pictures in there too. The other album is just dusty and there you can see some of the damage. I found more today and need to get pictures. both sides of the back corners are out. they were plastic or something like that. I'm going to use thin aluminum and pop rivet and then skim cote the metal with fiberglass body putty and sand and paint. I get those tomorrow.
I'm beat. I got the engine tore down and got the piston out that was cracked. The cylinder wall looks good and no scratching at all. The piston skirt was cracked and the oil ring was the only damaged ring. I'm getting new piston and rod. not taking any chances. Got the radiator today, and I saw it!!...Radiator fan kits with shrouds!! Two fans and built in thermostats and a sender wire for the a/c circuit.Made of aluminum. and the two fan model only draws 15 amps!! Its going to be mine next week!! I'm taking off that clutch fan and no more yelling back and forth when the fan kicks in anymore!! NO MORE ROAR!!!
Other than that I did just a few little jobs and got the water heater to work and I have water and can take a shower, and I did! I'm hurting bad and took some meds to help but I'm sinking fast! Will post those pictures tomorrow as I won't be quite as busy as today. Capt.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry, The wind has been hawking so hard the water heater got blown out and the pilot light too!! I've never seen the main burner get blown out before! Thats WIND!! It's suppose to be even worse tomorrow. Have no wants of getting up on that roof with that kind of wind. Maybe Monday,well see, Capt.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
The wind was gone this morning so I got the pictures of the roof. They are on the photo forum so look up my name and they should be ready tomorrow, Capt.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Sorry, The wind has been hawking so hard the water heater got blown out and the pilot light too!! I've never seen the main burner get blown out before! Thats WIND!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had wind like that over the winter. Real PITA too. Bad enough when the pilot gets blown out, but when you cant relight it because the main jet gets blown out as well. . . I ended up leaning a sheet of scrap plywood against the side of Felicity to protect the water heater from the worst of the wind. That has lasted pretty well so far. To prevent this happening, there is a wind baffle that you can get (from Camping World, IIRC) or you can be like me and use it as an excuse to get a larger water heater with DSI. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Got the bloody shield on the water heater..no help! Got the new water heater with the electric start and electric quick recovery. Don't want to switch till I get the carpet out and chemicals to clean out the mold first.
One question; what would ya put under the new water heater to cushion it like the carpet did? I'm thinking foam but I would entertain other ideas. I put duct tape on that hole in the roof and am still wondering what the devil did that. I think I'm going to use a piece of aluminum flashing cut to fit the hole and pop rivet and skin cote the aluminum with fiberglass and sand and paint. Any other ideas?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #9

We didn't put anything under our heater to "cushion" it. We did remove the old shag carpeting. After pulling out the water heater, we fixed the leak, took it apart, rinsed out all the sand that had accumulated in it, repainted water tank (BBQ High temp paint), replaced the fiberglass insulation with new, rewired electric heater element (now plugs into a switched duplex plug we installed just for the water heater... old way had an extension cord plug wired on the outside) and replaced the pressure relief valve. Before we reinstalled the WH, David built a "pan" out of regular aluminum roof flashing with a drain in it to catch any leaking water and drain it out of the RV instead of it running all over the floor. Good thing too since we apparently had bought a nice, new, defective pressure relief valve. It happens. And the pan works great! Don't forget to make sure to shim up the water tank (if it needs it). Ours had to sit off the floor a good 1/2 inch.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Post a link to your pics just add new ones to same heading, keepup the good work.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
007, Thanks! I don't know how to do that kind of link but you make things easier.
I'm getting the stuff done so I can get the chemicals on that floor! The computer must have something under the space key again. I'm not going to mention any names, but they are eating girl scout cookies. je je je!
I should have the chemicals tomorrow and I should be ready for them at that time. I'm looking forward to moving back into my home! It will be awhile yet but you know what I mean. I'll be taking more pictures tomorrow, to show the condition of the floor, and the bathtub and bed areas will be all cleared out. I'm shutting off the water and propane but for now,I will have to leave the electric on for now. That will be shut down when I start the electrical work.
Things don't seem to look as bad with the carpet off. I hope this works! Let you know tomorrow evening. Capt
Old 03-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, this has been a piece of doggie doo for the whole day!I can't take pictures because someone was to busy playing on the **** computer instead of finding the charger for the camera, which was suppose to be in that NEW camera bag that was suppose to be big enough for 'everything'. I got a bunch of junk tore out but you will have to take my word for it! Capt.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok, I got the battery charged and will post a couple of minutes. Got all the wiring separated and ready to hook up tomorrow! I got the chemicals in and once I get the wiring snafu figured out. I'll take a picture of the new box and wiring. The kitchen and bathroom got the worst damage. [ceiling ,walls and floor]. The bedroom was mostly the ceiling, Duh, I wonder why with that hole in the top that ya could put my fist in??! I'm tired and am calling it a night. Capt.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I've been running on empty all day. Got the fridge loose but not out yet and also that bench in the front dinette.I'll post pictures tomorrow. I'm pooped and turning in early. Capt.