Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #1

Edge Moulding Bending new stuff! - 67 Serro Scotty

I am restoring a 67 scotty and have replacement edge moulding, almost identical. Found on amazon of all places.

It comes as straight stock.

I have the hilander model so very curvey. How do I bend it without the 90 angle of the moulding getting out of line??

Anyone ever done this and what advise do you have for bending and getting a good seal with the butyl tape stuff?
Thx!
MillerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2

Is it like this stuff??.

fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #3

Well what I am trying to say is if it does,this is on a conversion top from a van and the way it is bent they cut a V in it to make the curve.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

This is the corner molding that goes over the metal sides on the outside 4 corners?

Lay tape on both sides of the molding itself leaving an excess, maybe 1/4" or so, hanging loose. Don't install the tape flush with the edge of the molding. Prior to installing, place short pieces of tape in the low spots of the siding so when the molding is installed, you'll have a double thickness there. Push the molding into place starting on the lower straight sections. Using a soft rubber mallet, tap the molding into place (easy does it!) to kind of mash the molding, tape, and siding all together - just the straight section! Once it's kind of seated into place, run a screw in just until it's snug. Too much at this point will deform the molding! Once all the screws are in and snugged, you can go back over them by hand tightening a little at a time until the tape starts oozing out from under the molding.

With the straight section of the molding pretty well fastened, you can work into the curve much easier. There's a little finesse involved, so take it slow working maybe a foot or so of the molding into place at a time using the mallet and screwing just that section down, then moving to the next. By the time you get done with the trailer, you'll be getting pretty good with it.

When the molding is installed and final tightening is done, run a flat bladed screwdriver down each side of the molding to trim the caulk neatly. This will expose any voids in the tape, which you can then pack with the excess you're removing using a putty knife or the screwdriver.

We used 1 1/2" screws so the wouldn't strip too easily while drawing the molding down. Shorter don't work as well... If the wood is soft, it's not even worth trying. You'll have to replace it as it takes pretty solid wood for this to work.

I don't get in here often, so if you need more help, shoot me a PM. Be glad to help. Used to do this professionally (20 years).
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerE View Post
I am restoring a 67 scotty and have replacement edge moulding, almost identical. Found on amazon of all places.

It comes as straight stock.
Can you provide a link to the item on Amazon. I run a Scotty website and would like to include the link on our edge strip page. Thanks!

Serro Scotty | An Organization for Serro Scotty Owners
kruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

Results! and Source of edge moulding...

ahicks wow this is exactly the help I was looking for! i got out there yesterday and did just as you said, with a minor change. I formed the aluminum for the entire trailer prior to putting the butyl tape in there. I was kind of worried about the curvy hilander front...

it worked quite well, two of us working one with a metal hammer and one with rubber mallet finnessed it all the way around using 1 inch square head screws I picked up from mcfeelys. I put all new wood down so it bit good.

Then we pulled the trim all the way off, and with one section tried your method of placing butyl tape on the moulding then putting whole thing on camper. That worked pretty good. Then I tried putting the tape on the camper first for the next section, and felt more comfortable about that. one side totally finished and real happy about the results. Thanks very much.

Kruzn-funny enough I can't even find the moulding i got off of amazon. I bought it about a year ago. It doesn't even come up. It is almost an exact replica of the original scotty. I found what I think is the profile of the same stuff at : Universal Standard Roof Edge - Aluminum.
Although much more expensive than what I paid. I paid around $50 total. I think it was $12.50 per 14 foot section. it showed up at my house wrapped in plastic. I found yesterday that one end was buggered up and smashed but I just cut it off as I had enough.
Good luck!
MillerE is offline   Reply With Quote