Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Elandan 1990 running very hot over 250F

Hu guys, im a new owner of an elandan 1990. Im driving it and the temperature gauge is way beyond 250 F. Is this normal or will it need radiator work? Can anyone tell me what the normal operating temperature range is?

Growurfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Is it really running hot or is the gage faulty? First question that needs to be answered.

1991 Winnebago Warrior 23EC Class A
bill06447 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
I actually drove it home today. 45 miles. I did stop once to let it cool down to about 180. Added coolant, then got back on the road.

The gauge needle stabilized at around 280. Im estimating of course because the gauge tops out at 250.

It made the trip ok. I did notice though, that when i accelerated, it seemed to cool down. Im assuming the air cooled the engine.

How would I test for a faulty gauge?
Growurfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
I would suspect a bad gauge. If you drove 45 min. At 280 degrees the engine would be toast.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Is your Elanden on a GM P-30 chassis?. If so, the temperature gauge is likely faulty. I have found this to be the case on two P-chassis motorhomes with the factory dashboard. Even though the gauges seem to operate correctly, the temperature displayed was 20-25 degrees lower than from either an aftermarket gauge or a Scan Gauge.

One gauge began showing the extreme temperature similar to what you see, but with no other symptoms. When it began flickering between 250 and 0 degrees, I replaced it with the aftermarket gauge. Your 1990 chassis doesn't have an OBD2 connector, and won't operate a Scan Gauge, so I suggest installing an aftermarket gauge and sending unit. Around $50 at any auto parts store.

Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
Is it really running hot or is the gage faulty? First question that needs to be answered.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #6
Also get an ir thermometer as it will tell you quickly real temperature of things...not exact but close enough.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Just dealt with the same problem. should run on a 100+ degree day, up a hill, 210 to 220 tops while towing a toad. My total weight is 15klbs.

first replace your thermostat with a 180 degree unit. They start opening at 180 and fully open at 195 degrees. 2nd, replace your fan clutch. I went through 3 brand new ones from napa and autozone before getting one that worked correctly. There is one manufacture out there that is having problems. You should hear it roaring when the temp goes over 200 degrees. If not then it is faulty. Your electric fan will not cool your engine properly, it is only for the dash AC.

May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote