Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:36 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
With all of the diesels over here, why not put a Isuzu or Toyota diesel motor in it, tons of torque, and good fuel mileage! And the ease of finding parts! JMHO ,, Rail!
Diesels have different emission rules here, and unless they are upgraded to modern emissions are not allowed to drive in certain places. That being said, the all aluminum Mercedes twin turbo diesel engine like the one in my Mercedes ML 400 CDI is certainly a viable candidate. It's got both more torque and horsepower than the original 454, is readily available, and mates up to the heavy duty 5-speed Mercedes automatics. It's fairly easy to work on, parts are available, and its light. The down side is you lose that big block V8 sound.

Another engine option is a Volvo, Scania or Mercedes 6 cylinder truck diesel. They start to get heavy and are usually mated only to manual transmissions. The engines and transmissions are rated with a CGVWR high enough that they will easily pass through the re-registration process for the engine change.

But I agree that diesels are attractive from a fuel consumption point of view. My E 270 CDI Mercedes wagon gets 45mpg on average. 30mpg with a car on a trailer behind it.

DeOrellana is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #128

Erik,

Awesome project! You're lucky it is a Winnebago. They are one of few RV builders who actually have engineering drawings and wiring diagrams and will give them to you.

Where are you in southern Sweden? While I worked for Haldex, we spent a lot of time there, mostly around Malmö and Landskrona. It is a beautiful country and we always enjoyed our trips there. Twice we did the big 180 mile bicycle ride around Lake Vättern called Vätternrundan. The first time we did it we expected to finish in around 12 hours but it took a few hours longer because we were on our tandem and every time we stopped, we were surrounded by riders who wanted to talk because tandems were rare in Sweden.

Good luck with your project!

John McKinley

jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #129

subscribed !!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Erik,

Where are you in southern Sweden? While I worked for Haldex, we spent a lot of time there, mostly around Malmö and Landskrona. It is a beautiful country and we always enjoyed our trips there. Twice we did the big 180 mile bicycle ride around Lake Vättern called Vätternrundan. The first time we did it we expected to finish in around 12 hours but it took a few hours longer because we were on our tandem and every time we stopped, we were surrounded by riders who wanted to talk because tandems were rare in Sweden.

Good luck with your project!

John McKinley
I'm about an hour east of Malmö, half an hour north of Ystad outside Sjöbo. I used to live up by Askersund and Laxå and went sailing on Vättern as a kid. It's as you say an absolutely gorgeous country. Glad you got to enjoy it!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #131

That's interesting. The bicycle ride came north on 49 then headed south on 50 just before Askersund. I remember that stretch because we had gotten our second wind and were giving a group of youngsters a run for their money for about 20 miles. They finally caught us on a long hill where the Branden's aerodynamic advantage was gone.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #132

Sorry, should read .,,,, tandem's aerodynamic......
Old 06-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #133

Engine removal

The engine is now out of the chassis. I lifted the engine and transmission out as a unit, but first I had to cut the frame beam that they had welded over the transmission.

Having a back hoe sure helps when doing this kind of work, but when the engine and transmission go back in I'll be using a traditional cherry picker. The back hoe method is a bit on the brutish side

But after lifting and cutting the exhaust bolts off, the engine came free. That is one heavy engine/trans combo! The back hoe had trouble with it at full reach.

With the engine out and on the ground, you can see the extent of the rust. I guess cleaning that up is a good winter project. You can also see where somebody tried to weld the exhaust manifolds where the air injection system had been.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #134

Stripping the frame

With the engine out, it was time to gut the frame from all the hoses and lines that ran along it, as well as removing the exhaust and drive shaft. This was the haul for today:

The only solution I could think of how these lines were installed is that they were installed before the top section of the frame was welded on. Nice.

The brake lines were old and rusty, and not anything to consider keeping. I just cut them off at connections.

Draining the master cylinder reservoir revealed a dark gooey mess. This brake system was beyond flushing - it needed a rebuild. Or, as in this case, a replace. There is no way you can flush all of the goop out of the lines. I replaced the brake fluid when I bought it, but apparently there was just too much stuck at the bottom. It doesn't pour; it gets scraped out.

Now all that remains is the frame, the suspension and the axles. Everything else has been removed.

Now I'll try to get the frame indoors on a flat surface so that I can check the alignment through the suspension movement before I remove the suspension and axles.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #135

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
You are the man, nice job. i agree that a diesel would be the best choice, make sure that you install a lock up torque converter with the automatic, or you will loose a lot of your fuel mileage gain.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #136

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #137

So what do you plan to reuse?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen Family View Post
So what do you plan to reuse?
Well, the frame obviously, and the body. They might get modified slightly though. Then we'll see from there. I haven't decided on the final outcome - it'll have to grow as the project progresses. I'll probably do an entirely new interior. Some things will depend on what I find at local auto jumbles.

What I know I won't reuse is the rear shocks I just removed - they wouldn't keep a lawn tractor from porpoising!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #139

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow SOOOOO very interesting. I still don't know how the electrics will be installed. I find it most interesting. Thanks for the Pictures.
Very interesting,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #140

Spent the entire 3-day weekend continuing to disassemble the frame. Today is Swedish National Day, kind of like 4th of July.

A while ago I talked to some guys who restore old Scania trucks. Following their advice, I started by cutting off all of the welded on brackets and supports. As it turned out, they were right. There was a lot of rust inside those welds. It's hard to see in the pictures, but there is rust pitting along both sides of the welds.

Weld ground down in preparation for sand blasting:

Cleaning up all those welds took much more time than you would imagine. I spent two and a half days grinding, and went through more than one 10-pack of grinding wheels.

Today I finished up the grinding and removed the tag axle.

The tag axle is a Henschen tag axle with internal rubber torsion bars. And it's heavy! The 4 bolts holding it on took me 2 hours to get loose, even with an impact wrench and an induction heater.

The front frame cross member has been removed to be straightened.

The frame is now much cleaner and closer to being ready for sand blasting.

And the scrap pile just keeps on growing....

Tags
elandan, frame