Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Have you considered a 12v refrigerator?
I'm currently thinking tri-power propane, 12v & 230v for the fridge. But I'm guessing I'll have plenty of time before I need to go fridge shopping
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
I'm currently thinking tri-power propane, 12v & 230v for the fridge. But I'm guessing I'll have plenty of time before I need to go fridge shopping

I should have said 12v DC electric compressor fridge. No gas. No power conversion. You do appear to have plenty of time to think it over.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Call me old fashioned, but that's the way I would do it. Well, propane and 230v anyway. That 12v heating element is about useless in my experience.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #158

It's been a while since I posted. We've had rainy weather and it's no fun being outside working on the Elandan when it's raining. I've also had some other honey-do projects that have taken precedence.

Back at it this evening though. With the frame stripped and the cab removed, I set my focus on the house. I went through the entire house section and marked all the screws as either red (stuck) or yellow (moves).

There are a lot of screws on the house section! Around the windows, along the roof, at the top of the wall, and at the bottom of the wall.

Surprisingly, most of the stuck screws were on the inside. I would have guessed they would have been on the outside. I suppose the threads of the inside screws being more exposed to water leaks is why they are more often stuck.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #159

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I feel you pain. There are so many screws on the exterior. I started in the front and started replacing the screws with Stainless Steel, Your thoughts? expensive but the heads are dark and rusty let alone filled with wax and I think looks terrible and makes the MH look old. Those new stainless are pretty shinny!!!!
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #160

I'm thinking I'll use A4 stainless steel screws to assemble it all. The price is not too bad if you buy in bulk. I avoid A2 stainless if I can - it has a tendency to rust when exposed to salty air and water.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #161

If you look at the last picture in post #158, the screws holding the moulding on are A2-grade stainless. Looked nice when I installed them, but several years later of being outside they are quite rusted.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #162

They are stain-less, not stain-free screws, after all
WhiskeyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJr View Post
They are stain-less, not stain-free screws, after all
Old 06-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #164

Today I removed the windows from the house.

With the interior removed and having sprayed the screws with penetrating oil for a while made removal of the windows easy. The hardest part was getting all of the screws loose.

The window frame removed, and the view out the poppies blooming outside the window

The bottom of the window seal cracked loose

The bedroom window removed

All of the windows removed

Does anybody have any recommendations on removing the window putty?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #165

Removing the roof

Sometimes things just don't go as you plan. Today was one of those days.

After removing all of the screws marked red (stuck) and using the yellow (loose) to hold the house together, I hooked up the backhoe to the roof. The backhoe isn't really designed for lifting things that high, even with theextendahoe extended as far as it would go. But I hooked up straps to the scoop and dangled it over the roof. I ran the straps through the holes left by the removed AC units, and attached them to pieces of wood.

So far so good.

Then I started lifting with the backhoe and the roof started peeling back, just as expected, and I was feeling good.

As the roof started peeling back, the sealant wouldn't come loose. I had checked and rechecked to make sure all the screws were gone, but I had missed one.

Also, at this point it was starting to show that the length of the roof and the angle of the straps were not ideal. But the roof was separating as it should, and getting the last, or so I thought, of the screws out, the roof was coming off nicely.

Now the roof was loose all the way to the back. However, when they assembled the Elandan the aluminum strip at the top of the rear panel was installed off center, and one of the screws holding the aluminum strip to the rear panel was crooked and was holding the roof on.

So, with the final screw located and out, the roof was floating above the walls of the Elandan.

For about 30 seconds.

The last of the screws to be stuck had caused the straps to slide a bit sideways as the roof tilted, causing the entire roof to roll over on it's side.

Now there was no chance of lifting the roof over the side walls, so the only option was to lower the roof down inside the house. Since the roof was already tilted, this was just a matter of slowly lowering the roof down and jumping in and out of the backhoe to both lower the roof and guide it as it was coming down.

Lowering the roof was a tedious task of lowering and guiding the roof down, and jumping in and out of the backhoe. Then came the next problem. The walls on the RV were higher the scoop was over the roof. Sorry, no pic.

So now I had to get into the house and lift the roof enough so that I could free the straps and lower the roof manually. By loosening the ratchets I could control the drop by slowly releasing the strap ends.

The roof is now lying on the floor of the Elandan resting on the wheel houses in the back and on the floor in the front. The backhoe is back at rest and everything is looking good.

Not at all what I had planned. I had planned to put the roof next to the house so I could remove the final vent covers, railings, etc.

This is also when you let your guard down. But you shouldn't. I did. I shouldn't have. I was collecting the straps when I backed into the back end of the frame and punctured the back of my thigh on the corner of the frame. I now have a good size bruise and my muscle is very sore.

And worst of all, tomorrow is Midsummer, and we are planning on going to Ales Stones and walking down to Kåseberga, the little fishing village below the ship setting. Fortunately the locally brewed Ystad beer is known to work as a pain killer.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #166

Happy Midsummer, everyone!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #167

Gulf Streamers Club
Very impressive operation. Why did the roof need to be removed? Not able to repair in place?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #168
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Do you have an electric winch?

Fasten it to the bucket, restrap the roof, winch the roof up to the bucket, then swing the roof out from over the motor home and lower it back to the ground outside the shell????????

Happy Midsummer

I was at Bowling Green Ky this past weekend 101.9 degrees 53% humidity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elandan, frame