Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 05:40 AM   #169

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
It never goes as smooth as planned, Murphy's law always rears its ugly head. I'm sure that you can come up with a way to get the roof back out and on the ground, you might have to make a couple of different hookups.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #170
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Side Project

Although no where near what you are taking on, thought you might enjoy a break and see a small project I just completed, well still a coulp of bolts to swap, but almost done

Jeep Tow Hook Project

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #171

Nice job Glenn!

It's always nice to have "in-between" projects when working on a bigger project.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #172

New toy!

Sometimes you just need a break from a big project. Especially when your big project is outside and it's been raining for a week. What better way to take a break from an existing project than getting a new project.

Look Honey, it followed me home today!

I saw an ad on Blocket which is kind of like Craig's list for an old rusty lathe with a noisy motor. I've always wanted a lathe, and advertised at $650 I thought that even with a noisy motor, it's probably a good deal. The scrap value for the 2 ton lathe is about $250, so worst case I'll be out $400.

The owner had bought himself a newer lathe and now wanted to get rid of the old lathe. He had one problem though, and that was that he couldn't get the electrics on his old lathe working. It was dumping rain and the lathe was sitting outside when I was looking at it and we were getting soaked fast. There was no power to it so I couldn't test it. So I offered him $375 and to help him wire in his new lathe. Done deal!

It took about an hour for me to fix his wiring, and I also found the instruction manual and wiring diagram on the net, so he was a very happy camper. I too was happy with getting a lathe. Lathes are usually much more expensive.

I picked it up today when the forecast was for scattered showers. I was especially pleased when he started pulling out a bunch of extras he had forgotten to mention that he had.

And then came all of the tools that he sent with it

The lathe is a Munktell's C40

The Munktell's lathes were built by Bolinder Munktell in the Swedish town of Eskilstuna until Volvo bought the company in 1950. That will give you an idea of how old the lathe is. The nice thing is that the old lathes are solid beef with all the bearings oversized and big heavy gears.

The cross slide feed lever is missing, and there are a few other issues with it, but going over it on the trailer when I got home it looked good, except for some ancient electrics. some of the handles are missing, and there are some parts that are worn, but overall a nice machine.

So like a kid at Christmas I couldn't restrain myself and started with polishing the rusted prisms. I hit them with 1000 grit sandpaper and alcohol and after about or so an hour of wet sanding they turned out quite nice for being 70 years old.

Then I got to work on the electrics and got the lathe running. Sure enough, there was an awful noise from the motor. So I started taking it apart, and it turned out the the bolt holding the belt pulley on the motor had come off and was rattling against the belts turning. I put the screw back after filing it back into shape and the lathe runs nice and quiet.

My favorite accessory is the snake joint lamp over the bed. It'll be on my top list to get fixed. It just screams golden age of industry to me, and I just can't resist it.

So now I have to clean anhd derust the rest of the lathe, fix the broken bits, change the oil, repaint it the original color, and rewire it according to modern codes inside the original wiring parts. Like Glennlever's Jeep, this lathe is a survivor with most of the original accessories, and I think restoring it back to it's original beauty would make a great and useful addition to my shop. Plus, according to my wife, I need another project like a hole in the head.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #173

Gulf Streamers Club
Beautiful piece of history there Erik. And you are right, this will be quite the project.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #174
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have always wanted a lathe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #175

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
Nice find, you will get a ton of use out of that thing, I had a small one that was used in a high school metal shop, and used it all the time to make small pieces for projects that I had going.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #176

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Great score, Eric!!! That baby is sweet! Rail!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #177

Winnebago Owners Club
Always nice to see a piece of history restored for life into the future. These things were built to last in a time before marketing made us a throw away society.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #178

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Erik, thanks for the heads up on the stainless. If I may, why did you take the roof off? I don't think I read it above.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #179

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just jumping on board with your interesting renovation project.

Good luck,

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Erik, thanks for the heads up on the stainless. If I may, why did you take the roof off? I don't think I read it above.
Tim
I took it off, and I will be taking the walls of,f for ease of working on them. The aluminum covering is rotted through in places, and the wood underneath is also rotten. The walls have delamination and other water damage, and it'll be easier to get them all fixed up.

Taking it apart allows me to get the sections into my shop to work on them. Fall and Winter is just around the corner , and with the house apart it doesn't have to sit outside.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
Just jumping on board with your interesting renovation project.

Good luck,

Rich

Thanks Rich, and be prepared for a long journey!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #182

I spent most of yesterday and today cleaning and lubricating the lathe. It also found its new spot in the shop.

The first thing I worked on was the head stock. When I started it wouldn't move, but now you can just set the adjuster wheel spinning and it will keep going. Virtually no play in it.

Closeup of some of the slide prisms. Lots of rust here. This is the large cone cutting attachment. From what I understand, most of these went to recycling when the lathes were sold to hobbyists. It took about two hours to loosen it enough where I could swing the two pieces apart.

Anybody who has drained a tank and not found what you expected can probably sympathize with what cam out of the cutting fluid container. Over 50 liters (about 13 gallons) of thick brown goo was in the legs of the lathe. It came out by itself when I started cleaning where the oil plug used to be. Apparently the plug was gone, but the gunk at the bottom of the tank plugged the outlet and kept the liquid in. The cutting liquid pump is missing and I suspect I know what killed it.

So here it is, all cleaned up and in its new spot in the shop.

The cross slide isn't finished, and I still need to connect the electrics. Now that it's clean, and lubed, I have to admit I like the patina. Not sure whether I will just touch up the paint and keep the patina or if I will do a complete strip and repaint.

Tags
elandan, frame