Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 AM   #239

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Glad that I can be of assistance.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
I don't know - I was sure I'd be done with it by now! I've got a bunch of other projects just waiting to get started on as soon as this one gets done.
Interestingly enough, you are probably more likely to finish your project than I am to ever finish ours. You are basically starting from scratch with everything... and will probably finish the whole project before you put the RV into service.

If I wanted to do that, it would take me years to complete and my kids would probably be married and gone before I finished... therefore, I have elected to try and complete the work in stages in order to get as much use out of the RV as I can while my kids are young. I figure by the time I finish the last stage... the first stage will be worn out and ready for a redo again.

And if we're honest... who is ever really "finished" with an RV... these things are way worse than any stick house as far as "upkeep."

-cheers

Old 07-28-2016, 02:03 AM   #241

I am looking at a used Elandan and found this thread while doing research.
I have been an active member of the Cadillac owners forum and found much support and many good friends there.
I got so wrapped up in your thread that I stayed up 2 hours reading every word of it!
I have seen many complete rebuild threads at the Cadillac forum, but they pale in respect to what you are attempting here.
I have joined and will be anxiously following your progress here. You are a resto GOD! Can't wait for your next installment!
Rock on brother!
T Dave
Old 07-28-2016, 04:10 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Interestingly enough, you are probably more likely to finish your project than I am to ever finish ours. You are basically starting from scratch with everything... and will probably finish the whole project before you put the RV into service.
That's true. When diving into something this far gone I find it easier to do a complete renovation rather than doing it piecemeal. What I will get out of is can be considered a factory new RV that I will be able to use for years without any major problems. And you are right that I will most likely finish everything before I put it into service and not driving around with a half finished project. I have some of those types of projects too.

As to defining finished - I agree 120%! I have a friend who builds show cars. We've stopped asking him if the car will be finished, now it's just finished for the next show. After the show he takes it apart and does something else with it. To each their own!

Good luck with your project too!
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
I am looking at a used Elandan and found this thread while doing research.
I have been an active member of the Cadillac owners forum and found much support and many good friends there.
I got so wrapped up in your thread that I stayed up 2 hours reading every word of it!
I have seen many complete rebuild threads at the Cadillac forum, but they pale in respect to what you are attempting here.
I have joined and will be anxiously following your progress here. You are a resto GOD! Can't wait for your next installment!
Rock on brother!
T Dave

Welcome T Dave, and thanks for your support!

I have seen some of the complete rebuilds over at the Cadillac forum, and they are awesome! So far all I have done is disassembly... And given a few thoughts to how to get it back together again. You'll find the same kind of community support here on iRV2 as on the Cadillac forum.

What I can say about having lived in the Elandan is that I like the internal layout. Some of the things to watch out for is water leaks at the front and rear cap and around the side windows. Because of the rounded shape and the interior, leaks in the living room area are hard to see. The water will run inside the wall interior along the aluminum framing and out by the floor instead of along the inside of the wall where you can see it. Also, check the front cap and windshield for leaks The cab is steel and rusts, and the cap is fiberglass and sits in the window channels and chafes and that's where dirt and water collects causing pinhole rust and then the water runs along inside the beams of the cab. There is some undercoating underneath the dash shelf right above where the hood attaches. Take a screwdriver or other sharp implement and check with a flashlight for rust. You can see the damage in the photos of the cab earlier in my thread.

The Elandan is great to drive, even with it's long overhang and worn suspension. With the 37ft you have to watch your turns as you tend to sweep the lane next to you, and also the tail grinding when you go over dips in the road. The rear suspension runs smooth on most surfaces including dirt roads.

Let us know if you get it!
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #244

Gulf Streamers Club
Facinating project, don't hurry it, enjoy it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #245

Sorry it's been a while since I updated the thread. I've had to deal with some personal issues and haven't had a chance to work on it. Plus I've ended up spending much more time on fixing the lathe than I expected.

I'm hoping to get back to it soon, though!
Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #246

Life does have a habit of getting in the way.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #247

Erik, I think you may have wasted your time on the disassembly part. Being you are in Europe, you could have just give it to these guys for a day, and let them strip it down to the frame for you.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #248
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Sorry it's been a while since I updated the thread. I've had to deal with some personal issues and haven't had a chance to work on it. Plus I've ended up spending much more time on fixing the lathe than I expected.

I'm hoping to get back to it soon, though!
Ben missing your updates

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #249

If I brought home a 20+ year old motorhome and took it completely apart in my back yard, I'd be sleeping in a tent next to it, at least until the divorce was final.

Just kidding, it is an amazing project and I hope the project and your personal issues go well.
jmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #250

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Erik, I think you may have wasted your time on the disassembly part. Being you are in Europe, you could have just give it to these guys for a day, and let them strip it down to the frame for you.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 AM   #251

They are just jealous 'cause we have real live caravan racing.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
If I brought home a 20+ year old motorhome and took it completely apart in my back yard, I'd be sleeping in a tent next to it, at least until the divorce was final.

Just kidding, it is an amazing project and I hope the project and your personal issues go well.
Thanks jmckinley, It'll just take time for me to get back to my usual self so I can get back to my project.

I do hide the project on the other side of the giant barn, otherwise I would hear quite a bit more about it

Tags
elandan, frame