Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post

Quote: "The house on the Elandan is built in aluminum sections and bolted to the frame." Have any details on this? Maybe a link?
The 1989 Elandan Brochure does show some of it, plus I have dug into it far enough that I can see it. Winnebago sent me the house engineering plans which confirmed my findings. The house consists of roof panel, rear panel, side panels and floor which are screwed together. The whole thing is then bolted to the frame outriggers and cab.

With the rear cap off it's easier to see the construction layers. Here's a picture of the upper corner where you can see the aluminum framing of the roof joining with the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0038.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	126314  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 02:43 AM   #16

Honestly officer, they aren't mine!

While cleaning out the interior I found these behind a cabinet. I wonder how many times they have crossed international boarders.

Also found a British passport, a bunch of holiday pictures, a couple of mouse nests, and some old cloths.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	126433  

Old 05-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #17

I'm starting to see more "Trailer Tails". They claim 5.5% fuel efficiency improvement Semi Truck TrailerTailģ Fuel Savings Technology | STEMCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
A lot like my Adventurer rear cap. That is, it has a fiberglass cap over what makes up the rear interior wall.

Ripe for an aero "boattail"... there's LOTS to be gained aerodynamically at the rear.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #18

So it isn't built any different than a modern unit. Vacuum bonded sidewalls and roof. The "aluminum structure" is just tubes inside the bonded structure. The strength is in the laminated layers.

I watched a body being removed from the frame at a former employer. It wasn't pretty, and would not have been able to be reinstalled very easily, lots of metal structure cut away. But that was a basement model, maybe the Elandans were a bit simpler.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
The lovely engine bay. Gas is $6.50/gal here, but right now I plan on keeping the thirsty but great sounding 454. There is an exhaust leak at one of the manifolds, and the air injection system has been partially disconnected a long time ago. I will be looking for ways to improve gas mileage, perhaps with a more modern overdrive transmission and engine mods.
Keep the same engine and transmission and add a gearvendors overdrive unit https://www.gearvendors.com/commercial.html

GlennLever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:06 AM   #20

Front cap removed yesterday along with the front fender showing some minor rust. The fiberglass fender was the only thing keeping the side window glass in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	126521   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	126522  

Name:	PICT0006.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	126523  
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
You are making some great progress! I can't wait to see how this project comes along. Every time I feel a little overwhelmed with my rigs projects I find a thread like yours and several other of the full on rebuilds and it makes me realize my problems are very manageable. I love the pics and can't wait to see your progress.

Matt
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Keep the same engine and transmission and add a gearvendors overdrive unit https://www.gearvendors.com/commercial.html
I have thought about going with the Gearvendors unit. The 475 transmission with the Gearvendors unit is certainly stout and would no doubt be a good solution.

Another option that I've been thinking about is a newer electronically controlled transmission like the 4l80e or even the 6 speed 6l80. An electronically controlled transmission would allow me to ditch the shifter linkage in favor of a dash mounted push button gear selection system.

The weight of the transmission solution is a factor. The Elandan is fairly heavily loaded as a stock vehicle, and I certainly don't want to make it any heavier.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewc View Post
You are making some great progress! I can't wait to see how this project comes along. Every time I feel a little overwhelmed with my rigs projects I find a thread like yours and several other of the full on rebuilds and it makes me realize my problems are very manageable. I love the pics and can't wait to see your progress.

Matt
Thanks Matt!

I found that starting my build thread is great motivation for going out there and working on it. I also don't have any target completion time. It's just going to have to take the time it takes.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #24

Two hours spent this evening removing four screws and two nuts. Rust, rust and more rust.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #25

very exciting !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 AM   #26

Ok, I think need some advice from you guys.

I have the body and frame detached, but the body is still sitting in place. I have done a test lift of a few mm in a few places so that I can see that there is nothing left holding the body in place.

Do I leave the windows and A/C units in place when lifting the body off, or do I remove them? The way I figure it is that the windows add weight, they add rigidity, and they might crack if flexed. The A/C units are easier to remove when the body is off the frame - less height, but they also add weight. What do you guys think. Any experience out there?

I blew a hose on the back hoe this weekend, so I'll have to get that sorted before I can do any more heavy lifting.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #27
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Ok, I think need some advice from you guys.

I have the body and frame detached, but the body is still sitting in place. I have done a test lift of a few mm in a few places so that I can see that there is nothing left holding the body in place.

Do I leave the windows and A/C units in place when lifting the body off, or do I remove them? The way I figure it is that the windows add weight, they add rigidity, and they might crack if flexed. The A/C units are easier to remove when the body is off the frame - less height, but they also add weight. What do you guys think. Any experience out there?

I blew a hose on the back hoe this weekend, so I'll have to get that sorted before I can do any more heavy lifting.
I think you need to remove the windows ans A/C units, inserting "plywood plugs" in their places would be a good idea.

I also think you should build a lifting frame to distribute the forces when you pick the body off.

This means you might not have enough height with the backhoe to pick the body off???

Got any friends with a bigger piece of equipment

GlennLever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #28

Since I have no idea how much the body weighs, I don't know if the backhoe can lift it or not. At full reach it lifts half a ton. The front bucket lifts two tons, but doesn't go high enough for lifting the body from above.

My initial thought on the A/C units was to leave them until I got the body off and then load them into the bucket. But now I think I will lift them off with the hoe instead.

Do I lift from above or below? I was kind of planning to just lift the body using jacks and cross beams and then drive the frame out. But lifting off with a big machine is of course also an option. A third option is to take it apart, removing it in pieces with the roof first, then the side walls and finally the floor.

I'll have some time to think about it while I remove the windows I guess.

Tags
elandan, frame