Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #267
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Yeah, that's what I was guessing. I admit to some jealousy...
I admit to a lot of jealousy, laying on the concert in my garage when it is 0 degrees Fahrenheit out side is not fun.

GlennLever is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 02:33 AM   #268

Yes, the manifold is for the in-floor heating.

The cost of putting the heating pipes in the floor was negligible when I poured the new cement floor. The shop used to be an old cow barn. It is now insulated with in-floor radiant heat and humidity control so that I can keep untreated sheet metal without it rusting in there. In the winter I keep it at about +10C (50F) to avoid all of the liquids from freezing. My heater lines were nowhere near that neat though! We just tied them to the rebar mesh.

My back can't take lying on the wet slushy and muddy courtyard anymore and cold concrete floors didn't feel attractive to me, so when I built the shop 10 years ago I decided to do it right. I also added the concrete foundations for the two post 4-ton hoist.

DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I admit to a lot of jealousy, laying on the concert in my garage when it is 0 degrees Fahrenheit out side is not fun.
Unfortunately I didn't even think of having a motorhome when I built the shop, so the motor home doesn't fit.

I started with a rather run down barn that was recommended to be torn down.

I spent the first couple of years trying to figure out what to do with it, and cleaning it. It hadn't been cleaned after the cows moved out. Here is the dirt left under one of the ceiling lights

The biggest problem was that there were support posts EVERYWHERE!

It took a little over two years, but I now have a warm and cozy shop to work in. The problem is that over the years it's gotten absolutely full of all kinds of crap!

I would like to expand it on one side so I have a place to park the Elandan indoors when it's done, and having a place indoor to assemble it wouldn't be bad either!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 AM   #270

And this is what it looks like today - completely unstaged for photographing
Old 09-01-2016, 04:20 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Ahhhhh what happened to the Motorhome ? I've been following but fell off the train. Did you get it done and I missed it?
Just curios.
Tim
The motor home is waiting for me to get back to it. I've had things that have higher priorities that I've had to deal with. I'm hoping to get back to it soon.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #272

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Thanks, I would have hated to have missed the final.
By the way nice caddie.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #273

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great Rebuild on the lathe, also the shop just looks like everyone elses(well almost everyone else)
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #274
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post

The amount of grime on the feed rods can be really be seen when you compare it to the cleaned part of the rod. The part on the left has been degreased, but not yet cleaned. The part on the right has been cleaned.
Erik,

What did you do to the rod to get from degreased to clean? Wire brush? Other? It looks brand new in the photo!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #275
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great work shop, 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Great work shop, 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible?
Thanks! It is indeed a '76 Eldo convertibile.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Great Rebuild on the lathe, also the shop just looks like everyone elses(well almost everyone else)
Frank
I always hate looking at pictures of shops that have been cleaned and styled for the photo shoot. I'd be afraid to touch anything in them for fear of getting them dirty. A shop should looked lived in and used, although I do admit that mine could use a bit of straightening up.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Erik,

What did you do to the rod to get from degreased to clean? Wire brush? Other? It looks brand new in the photo!
I didn't want to damage the threads on the screw, so I didn't use any wire brushes except to remove old paint.

I clamped the whole axle in the lathe. That way I could work on half of it at a time. I set it at the lowest speed the lathe can do which is 24 rpm. Then I took rags dipped in mineral spirits and held them up to the thread and let them clean the threads as the screw turned. That way I could also feel where the screw was damaged. I didn't reuse the same spot on the rags so as to not transfer any debris to the new part. I did this several times along the entire screw. It's slow going, but it gives good results.

In some places I needed to take a popsicle stick to help loosen the grime. Same technique as with the rags. Slow and easy - just letting the screw turn and move the popsicle stick.

In a few places the screw had damage from things hitting it. First I filed it with a coarse and then fine file to get the shape back, then same routine with sandpaper 240 to 1200 grit. Finally I ran 800 and 1200 grit (oil wet) several times along the entire screw at a high rpm.

Believe it or not, the photo is of the part of the screw that is most worn. When you look at it and compare with the ends, you can see that the acme screw threads are not as thick as they once were. But it should last for quite some time as long as it is kept clean and lubricated.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #279

One of the things I noticed while using the lathe is that it wasn't getting lubricated as it was supposed to. There is a sight glas at the top and there was no oil showing. I opened up the main gear box and there was no oil circulating.

Getting the oil pump out took several hours. You have to pull the main input shaft, and I don't think it's been removed since the lathe was new. There was so thick varnish on the slider shaft that it wouldn't fit through the shaft hole.

I pulled the oil pump which is of a vane type and found the seals to be deteriorated. I suspect that it was sucking air through the old seals.

Luckily my tractor supply shop could get me new ones.

Looking down into the gearbox, I could tell that the gear box oil wasn't in the best of shape. I decided to pull the gearbox and clean the oil tray.

With the gearbox removed and looking at the oil tray, it was a good move. Oil is supposed to be fairly clear and uniformly colored!

Draining the oil revealed about 3/4 inch of goo at the bottom of the oil tray, and the oil in the drain pan didn't look all that healthy.

Surprisingly though, most of the gears in the gear box still show machining marks on the gear teeth. The oil is probably bad from condensation collecting when the machine has been sitting.

I'm not planning on rebuilding the main gearbox or the threading gearbox at this time. The main gearbox does have one bronze bushing that will need to be replaced in the future, and I haven't looked in the threading gearbox at this time. But I do want to get the lathe working and back to work on the Elandan.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #280
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
One of the things I noticed while using the lathe is that it wasn't getting lubricated as it was supposed to. There is a sight glas at the top and there was no oil showing. I opened up the main gear box and there was no oil circulating.

Getting the oil pump out took several hours. You have to pull the main input shaft, and I don't think it's been removed since the lathe was new. There was so thick varnish on the slider shaft that it wouldn't fit through the shaft hole.

I pulled the oil pump which is of a vane type and found the seals to be deteriorated. I suspect that it was sucking air through the old seals.

Luckily my tractor supply shop could get me new ones.

Looking down into the gearbox, I could tell that the gear box oil wasn't in the best of shape. I decided to pull the gearbox and clean the oil tray.

With the gearbox removed and looking at the oil tray, it was a good move. Oil is supposed to be fairly clear and uniformly colored!

Draining the oil revealed about 3/4 inch of goo at the bottom of the oil tray, and the oil in the drain pan didn't look all that healthy.

Surprisingly though, most of the gears in the gear box still show machining marks on the gear teeth. The oil is probably bad from condensation collecting when the machine has been sitting.

I'm not planning on rebuilding the main gearbox or the threading gearbox at this time. The main gearbox does have one bronze bushing that will need to be replaced in the future, and I haven't looked in the threading gearbox at this time. But I do want to get the lathe working and back to work on the Elandan.
One question, how do you find the time, I'm retired and don't get anywhere near the stuff done that you do.

Tags
elandan, frame