Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
One question, how do you find the time, I'm retired and don't get anywhere near the stuff done that you do.
I really don't know. I guess I multitask. Today I was on a 4-hour conference call. Headset with a mute button are a wonderful thing.

Remember though that the lathe pictures are from the last couple of weeks except the ones from today. So I've been at it for a while - I just haven't been posting.

The funny thing is I look at other people's threads, including yours, and think the same thing - where do they get the time?

DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #282

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
Reminds me of the stuff we did in the mill 30+ years ago, except they wouldn't give us the time to paint.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #283

Work continued on the lathe today.

Interestingly, after I had drained all of the old oil out of it and let it sit all night, the oil gauge still showed full

I removed the rest of the parts on the base of the lathe and cleaned it. A steam cleaner really comes in handy at times like this.

After cleaning I loaded it back in the shop on skates ready for final paint strip and repaint.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #284

Really good job Erik, you will know that thing inside and out by the time you are done.
Frank
Old 09-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #285

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the photographs and descriptions. It is almost like being there.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #286

Awesome job Erik. Thank you for sharing. I sure wished I lived nearby to come watch the process first hand. Living vicariously through the pictures and write up will have to do.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #287

I started the weekend with waking up with a slight case of the stomach flu. Nothing takes the will to go out and work out of you like the stomach flu, but I still managed to get a few hours of light work in.

I began with moving the two bases into position using my untrusty Harbor Freight engine hoist. One of the legs bent a while back, and I haven't gotten around to make a new one.

I cleaned up the old machine feet and placed the bases on them.

With the bases in place and no lathe on top of them, you realize how big the lathe actually is.

The space behind the lathe is to have space for the taper turning attachment that hangs on to the back of it.

The lathe bed received its first coat of paint.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #288

The smell of the paint drying in the garage kind wasn't making me feel any better, so I went out back to resume work on the Elandan.

The roof has been lying upside down and outside in the rain for a while now.

This has caused most of the plywood glue to come undone and made it easier to tear the wood off of it and salvage the steel panels. I tossed the wood off to the side to haul off to the recycling center later and collected all of the usable steel panels.

The result was about 50 lbs of steel and aluminum that I can use on other projects where I don't care as much about rust.

If you look you can see a square aluminum tube on the top of the pile. It was just sitting in place in the bottom frame without having been welded in place.

With the roof stripped, it is now slated to head off for recycling.

I have the plans from Winnebago on where all the holes go, and I don't plan on using the same roof layout anyways. Plus it's perforated in multiple places with corrosion pinholes. It would be too much welding to fix the current roof. Sorry for the bad photo.

After I was done with the roof, I finished clearing off the flooring frame. It's now just the frame with a bunch of stuck screws left in it.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #289
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The rebuild is now on the horizon.

I'm currently fighting the dash A/C. I was originally told the compressor was only available as a rebuild from parts ($3,000) I looked at it an said it looked like a standard GM compressor. No way I'm paying that amount of money.

Once it was pulled out there was a rebuild label on it that identified it as a Ready Aire 2442. That turns out to be a GM A6 compressor available everywhere, got one for $118.00 from Advanced Auto.

Once the Dash A/C is fixed will post the whole thing in my project thread.

I really enjoy reading your projects, you do high quality work! Not many out there that does this level of work, including "Service centers"

GlennLever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #290

Quote:
The rebuild is now on the horizon.

I'm currently fighting the dash A/C. I was originally told the compressor was only available as a rebuild from parts ($3,000) I looked at it an said it looked like a standard GM compressor. No way I'm paying that amount of money.

Once it was pulled out there was a rebuild label on it that identified it as a Ready Aire 2442. That turns out to be a GM A6 compressor available everywhere, got one for $118.00 from Advanced Auto.

Once the Dash A/C is fixed will post the whole thing in my project thread.
I don't understand companies that really try to screw their customers on commonly available spare parts. I can understand them charging a premium for providing it through the dealership, but a GM A6 for 3 grand?!?! That's highway robbery! And I suspect its a negative on long term customer brand satisfaction.

The GM A6 compressor was used in a ton of vehicles, not just GM, and I just don't understand such a price gouge. There are also rebuild kits available for the GM A6, but at $118 I'd just replace it.

Good luck with it. I look forward to reading about it.

Quote:
I really enjoy reading your projects, you do high quality work! Not many out there that does this level of work, including "Service centers"
Thanks Glenn! I just can't bring myself to do a half-decent job on something like this. I don't feel right about it. I'm going to be using the lathe for years to come, and it would irritate me every time I used it if I cut corners.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #291

Erik,
I second GlennLever's praise on your high quality work. The lathe will be useful for the rest of your time here on earth. And you can be very, very proud each and every time that you use it.
Frank
Old 09-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Erik,
I second GlennLever's praise on your high quality work. The lathe will be useful for the rest of your time here on earth. And you can be very, very proud each and every time that you use it.
Frank
Thanks Frank!

I appreciate all the kudos from all of you!

I don't think I will part with the lathe even if my needs outgrow it. If I do need to part with it, I think I will offer it to the Munktell's museum. It's kind of strange, but they don't have one there and I think it would be a fitting home for it.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #293

I took it fairly easy out in the shop today. I continued to paint the inside of the bed and the oil tank, and I started assembling the base.

The swarf pan in place and the bases aligned.

The swarf grate for the cooling liquid in place over the cooling liquid tank.

I probably won't be running with cooling liquid. It makes such a mess. I'll go slower and use lubricant.

A new drain plug in place. The old one let the cooling liquid run down the side of the lathe when you drain it. I switched it out to a short spout so you can put a pan or something under it when you drain it. It's hard to see in this photo, but I can't resist polishing brass trim. Also you can see the polished steel screws for the feet which were previously painted over.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #294
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's some great attention to detail on the lath, the work so far on the MH has not been to shabby either.

Now that I found your thread and stayed up reading it it's time for me to go to bed, keep up the great work.

It took me right at three hours to read the thread from start to finish.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elandan, frame