Today I lifted the lathe bed on to the bases. Aligning a bed weighing around one ton so that the bolts fit was not the easiest thing.
Since I've already shown you that my shop is a mess, I'm sure you won't mind the background
I left two screws in each base so as to not lose the alignment of the pan and the bases. I then put wood blocks for the lathe bed to land on.
Using the engine hoist I lifted the bed on to the wood blocks and visually aligned it. That at least got it close.
After that I lifted one end and removed the screws and the wood blocks. No fingers in there in case the bed drops - kind of like playing Jenga!
I couldn't quite get the screws to thread, but I got them into the holes.
Next I lifted the other end of the bed and removed the screws, wooden blocks.
Slowly lowering the bed I got it aligned so I could get the screws threaded in place.
Then back to the first end again and get it realigned so I could get the screws threaded.
Finally, I leveled the screws on the bases and aligned the bed somewhat.
The lathe is now sitting with about 1/20th of a degree of twist on the bed. That might now seem like a lot, but if you're turning something like a driveshaft it's about 1 mm (3/64) in radius over the length of the driveshaft. I'll level it out completely once it's completely back together. It's now ready for its final coat of paint and after that the final polish of the bed rails. You can see a few blotches here and there where there's only one coat of paint on it.
It feels really good to get it this far. Not only does it feel more complete, but it also frees up quite a bit of space in the shop. Space, the final frontier....