Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I think you should change your signature block to "under extreme renovation".
You don't think that would be a bit extreme?

DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #310

The gearbox for the lathe has been stripped and painted - at least on one side. I'll paint the other side when it's mounted on the lathe for ease of access.

Watching the paint dry on the lathe got the better of me, so I decided to clean up the area where I have been dismantling the Elandan. First I moved the roof and floor sections over to where the walls are.

That was a bit of a challenge that involved lifting the pieces one at a time with the backhoe and holding the end of the structure with my hand out the window while driving so it wouldn't swing around and hit anything. Sorry, but with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the load steady through the window I was unable to take any pictures.

It's kind of sad to think that the ceiling and the floor get reduced to two frames and a load of debris.

I'm still using the one section of roof behind the trailer as a weed deterrent.

With the work area behind the barn cleaned up I can get back to actually working on the Elandan - time permitting. I just need to get the Jeep rotors turned and new pads and installed before I can drive the trailer off to the recycling center.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #311
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
You don't think that would be a bit extreme?
It sure would be extremely accurate.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #312

Well, watching paint dry is, well, like watching paint dry.

So into the shop went the doors to the Elandan. I started with the drivers door. I wanted to get them stripped down to the metal frame so I could fix it. Like everything else there is a bit of rust on the door frames.

I started with removing the window. This involves removing all of the screws around the inside of the frame.

After the screws are removed, careful prying let the seal break loose.

It took about 15 minutes per window to break the seal all the way around, but once done the window could be lifted.

Here's a hot tip (literally) for anyone working with steel screws stuck in aluminum: Don't heat the screw, heat the aluminum around the screw using a hot air gun. Aluminum expands faster than the steel screw and this loosens the threads. My heat gun is set at 650C (~1200F) and the stuck screws loosen in about 20 seconds.

Next I removed the fiberglass door skin. I've tried prying, induction heating, swearing, and what worked best was to heat the back of the steel frame with the heat gun.

And finally there are two door frames ready for some minor welding.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #313

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice work Erik.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #314
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
The gearbox for the lathe has been stripped and painted - at least on one side. I'll paint the other side when it's mounted on the lathe for ease of access.

Watching the paint dry on the lathe got the better of me, so I decided to clean up the area where I have been dismantling the Elandan. First I moved the roof and floor sections over to where the walls are.

That was a bit of a challenge that involved lifting the pieces one at a time with the backhoe and holding the end of the structure with my hand out the window while driving so it wouldn't swing around and hit anything. Sorry, but with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the load steady through the window I was unable to take any pictures.

It's kind of sad to think that the ceiling and the floor get reduced to two frames and a load of debris.

I'm still using the one section of roof behind the trailer as a weed deterrent.

With the work area behind the barn cleaned up I can get back to actually working on the Elandan - time permitting. I just need to get the Jeep rotors turned and new pads and installed before I can drive the trailer off to the recycling center.
If you have the space I would not recycle the "scrape" until the new pieces are made. You might still be able to use some of it for a pattern. I have a rule that I follow, and that is nothing gets thrown out until that part of the project is done, and it has saved me many times for all kinds of reasons.

By the way in some of the pictures I could actually see the floor of your shop!

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #315

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post

You have to respect a man who makes full use of his shop. If not he built it too big!! LOL
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 AM   #316

Quote:
If you have the space I would not recycle the "scrape" until the new pieces are made. You might still be able to use some of it for a pattern. I have a rule that I follow, and that is nothing gets thrown out until that part of the project is done, and it has saved me many times for all kinds of reasons.
I did save some of the pieces that have the through-floor plumbing, etc. Saving all the little pieces didn't make sense, and I don't have the space to store them. Saving everything is a good rule though, and I try to save as much as possible.

Quote:
Incredible, isn't it? I haven't seen it myself in a while!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
You have to respect a man who makes full use of his shop. If not he built it too big!! LOL
There is no such thing as a shop too big! Nature abhors a vacuum, and a workshop is the perfect proof.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the outside work is being done in an area to extend the shop. The wall that the floor frame was being supported by and that's next to the frame is the foundation wall for the new part of the shop. Someday when the finances allow I will continue on it. For now it's a great place for outside work.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:13 AM   #318

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, I can't believe the rust in the door frames.
Thanks for the post.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Wow, I can't believe the rust in the door frames.
Thanks for the post.
Tim
The worst part is that you could hardly see any of it until you take the doors apart. The plastic door panel and the fiberglass door skin hid it.

And that's why I'm doing such a thorough dismantling - so I can get to all the rust.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It sure would be extremely accurate.
Done!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #321

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
Just think, when you get the Lathe all back together, you will then have to keep the space around it clean, so you can get to it to use. So you will always have a clean spot in your shop, lol.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Erik,
Just think, when you get the Lathe all back together, you will then have to keep the space around it clean, so you can get to it to use. So you will always have a clean spot in your shop, lol.
Frank
I've already thought about that. I plan on getting some cabinets that fit in the space behind the lathe where I can store all of the tools for the lathe. I can then roll them out when I need to use the lathe. In front of the lathe is the space that I use to walk from one side of the shop to the other (work/storage) and if I clutter that up I can't get in.

Tags
elandan, frame