Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #365

I decided to take a little more time out in the shop late this evening. I lifted the gear box up slightly and got the alignment pin for the oil pump in place. The newly painted cover went on, and it's starting to look like a lathe again.

The oil splash shield access cover now fits snugly in place so that when you remove the outer access cover it looks like the factory intended. When I picked up the lathe, the inner cover was in the bits of "other stuff" since it didn't fit the opening. The dots at the bottom of the opening are oil drain holes. If oil splashes out on the outer cover, the run off will drip down back into the oil sump.

I haven't done anything to the outer oil cover. Somebody wrote "OIL" in English on it. "OLJA" (Swedish for oil) is stamped on the rest of the lathe where you add oil. Also, the little sign which can't be read in the picture says "Fill with SAE 68 Hydrospin Oil" in Swedish. I'm thinking of leaving it the way it is as a reminder of how the lathe looked when I got it. The big red letters bother me a bit, though. Maybe I'll sand them down a bit.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #366
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Looks almost exactly like the base on my engine hoist. Mine came from Harbor Fright.
As did mine (there are some things you can buy from them).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #367

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
The lathe is looking like a new one, nice job.
Glennlever,
You are giving all of us great insight on paint and powdercoat, thank you so much for sharing some of your knowledge.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #368

A lot of small pieces coming together which makes a big difference to the lathe.

The oil level sight glass is cleaned up and mounted. It's amazing how much crud can fit in one little sight glass! And between the glass and the holder. And in the feeder tube. And apparently somebody had thought it a good idea to fill the breather hole with paint.

A before and after cleaning and polishing two of the control handles for the gear box. All of the rust comes off without too much pitting which is a relief. I hate rusty pieces, and I strongly dislike the pitting rust leaves when cleaned up. The top handle has now been painted and is in the drying cabinet.

The *OIL* that was written in red on the access cover irritated me to no end. I scraped it off carefully with a knife, then I took the sisal wheel to it and it looks just like it was worn that way.

The Munktell's name is cast in raised letters, and they should be RAL 3002 red. I had a can of brake caliper paint which was just a hair lighter in color. I don't have a steady painter's hand, but I think it turned out ok.

The gear box position letters received the same treatment.

The top sight glass for the oil had been badly bent out of shape and didn't quite fit into the hole again. It was mounted there when I got the lathe, but when I unscrewed it, it popped out of shape. I beat it back into shape but kept many of the scrapings it had received through the years. I love the look of polished brass trim.

I love this piece. Not because I think I will ever use it, but because of it's historical significance. This is a lathe revolver stop. It, together with the revolver turret and similar automation enhancements were developed in the 1920's. As a result, between 1929 and 1932 1 out of 4 manufacturing jobs were lost. At the same time between 1929 and 1941 was the biggest output growth of manufacturing in history! I'm just tickled pink by the technology history every time I look at it. When I started, the revolver couldn't be moved. Now it has that perfect "click" when you rotate it. Some of the stops have a little bit of rust pitting, but for me this component is all about the history!
Old 09-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #369
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to admit I've never seen a "revolver" before, the project is coming along fantastic.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I have to admit I've never seen a "revolver" before, the project is coming along fantastic.
Thanks John. Just think, that component and others like it were partially responsible for the Great Depression.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #371

Gulf Streamers Club
My boyhood best friend's Dad had a lathe with a similar 'revolver stop.' It could be set to stop the carriage at points for duplicating turnings. Very clever, but did take a bit of set up time and temporary markings on the barrel to prevent mistakes. The Dad in question was a clockmaker by hobby, mechanical engineer by trade. There home was full of various clocks, on days we were bored we'd wind them all up!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #372
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Revolvers are used as depth-stops on some hand-held woodworking power tools. I have a plunge router and a plate-joiner (for cutting biscuit slots) that use them. It's nice to have some preset stops in lieu of resetting and calibrating each time a change is needed.

Nice work! I can almost hear that "clicking" from here.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #373

The lathe is looking awesome. Also, great information on powder coating Glennlever. My wife was upset with me as I stayed up too late reading it all.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #374

Today a few fun things arrived in the mail.

The first was a couple of packages of tool inserts for the lathe. When I bought the lathe, it came with a couple of tools, but no inserts.

The other was a powder coating gun along with a few colors of powder.

So now I have to learn how to powder coat. I'm sure if I follow the excellent primer that GlennLever has put together I'll be coating the world in no time.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #375

This evening I started out with fixing a crack in the belt housing for the lathe.

The crack had been cleaned and sandblasted before any work could be done. This is the back side of the crack.

On the other side I cut a groove along the weld that I will fill with the MIG and stainless steel wire. It's amazing how the crack disappears when you grind it. You can hardly see it now, but it is all in the grind. I like to grind it as straight as possible for easier welding.

I was just about to heat it when my oven gave up the ghost. I was just about to put it in the oven to heat it before welding when all of a sudden the GFCI tripped. The lower heating element burned out and I'm out of an oven. It's hard to find parts for a 40 year old oven.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #376

So now I'm without an oven, and I have a brand new powder coating gun. What's a shop guy to do? I guess I'll just have to build myself a oven.

I have this setup in my shop to keep the humidity inside below 45%. It's usually around 20-25%. It's an IBC tank standing on top of the cage for a second IBC tank with a dehumidifier on top. The added bonus is I get de-ionized water to mix in radiators and windshield washers. The height and size feel just about right for a powder coating oven.

When I bought the IBC tanks many years ago I bought six. I have one tank and one extra cage left. So I went outside and brought in the empty cage.

As it turned out, that cage was slightly crooked. I'm guessing it's been hit with a fork lift or something, 'cause it would not give when I tried to straighten it with ratchet straps. But I still didn't want to use the crooked cage as a support, so I went out and ditched the other tank and got the cage for it. The first cage I removed from the base and I set the base upside down on the second cage and voila, I have the base for my new oven.

It felt right, so I removed the top base and cut the cage down to size with a saber saw.

I tossed the extra cage part outside and put the base back on it and now I have an oven base ready to go.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #377
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
... with a dehumidifier on top. The added bonus is I get de-ionized water to mix in radiators and windshield washers..
Is the output of a dehumidifier "de-ionized" or "distilled"? And, how would you keep bugs and dust out of the condensation water? I am pretty sure I would never drink it.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Is the output of a dehumidifier "de-ionized" or "distilled"? And, how would you keep bugs and dust out of the condensation water? I am pretty sure I would never drink it.
It's de-ionized. Distilled water is boiled, and de-ionized water may have bacteria in it from the air. I have a lid on the tank, and there is a hose that goes from the dehumidifier to the tank, so there is no problem with dust or bugs. I don't have a lot of bugs in the shop in general. In the entire time I've had the setup I've never had a problem with any type of growth in the water. I did make sure to clean the tank thoroughly with a steam cleaner when I originally built the setup.

An no, I wouldn't drink it either but it's perfect for vehicles. Our well water has a lot of minerals in it which is bad for vehicles but good for people.

Tags
elandan, frame