Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
I was kind of planning to just lift the body using jacks and cross beams and then drive the frame out.
If you have the space to do it, I think this is the best way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Since I have no idea how much the body weighs, I don't know if the backhoe can lift it or not. At full reach it lifts half a ton. The front bucket lifts two tons, but doesn't go high enough for lifting the body from above.

My initial thought on the A/C units was to leave them until I got the body off and then load them into the bucket. But now I think I will lift them off with the hoe instead.

Do I lift from above or below? I was kind of planning to just lift the body using jacks and cross beams and then drive the frame out. But lifting off with a big machine is of course also an option. A third option is to take it apart, removing it in pieces with the roof first, then the side walls and finally the floor.

I'll have some time to think about it while I remove the windows I guess.
I like the idea of jacking the body up and pulling the frame out from under.

Houses are moved this way, bottle jacks and cribbing blocks, a little at a time, very safe, (I picked a garage up this way and put a foundation under it and lowered it back down, worked great, did it by myself) if you do not have access to a bigger machine I would go that way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We raised a class C body off the van frame and pulled the cab and frame out from under the body. If you crib it up and pull the frame out from underneath, I woul]d just leave the windows and A/C units in, but you have to be careful not to twist the body as you are jacking it up.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #32

Yesterday I got the backhoe fixed, so this evening I was back at on the Elandan. The fuel tank is now out since it was blocking getting at the chassis 12v wiring and overall was simply just in the way when working underneath to separate the body from the frame.

It turns out my fuel gauge was way off. It showed the tank to be empty when I last had it running, but it turned out there was still almost 30 gallons in the tank. The wires to the sender were corroded as were the wires to the fuel pump. One more thing to add to the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	126850  
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Old 05-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #35

Pulled all of the chassis wiring of the Elandan this evening. For all of you who have ever wanted to see a complete motorhome chassis wiring harness, here it is. This does not include the inside or the dash wiring, though. That's another pile of wires.

The really fun part is that the Elandan is wired using green and purple wires. All of the wires had silkscreening on the them once upon a time to identify which wire was which. Now most of that is gone, and only the purple as positive and green as negative remain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	126909   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	126910  

Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #36

The two AC units also came off this evening. They are heavy, old, 110v, and they don't work when you want them to. After looking at various removal methods on the net using various ingenious methods to break the seals, I have to say lifting them down with the backhoe was definitely easy. I just wrapped a rope around the compressor and the backhoe lifted the AC breaking the seal. No damage to the aluminum roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0005.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	126911  
Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
WOW
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice job.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Pulled all of the chassis wiring of the Elandan this evening. For all of you who have ever wanted to see a complete motorhome chassis wiring harness, here it is. This does not include the inside or the dash wiring, though. That's another pile of wires.

The really fun part is that the Elandan is wired using green and purple wires. All of the wires had silkscreening on the them once upon a time to identify which wire was which. Now most of that is gone, and only the purple as positive and green as negative remain.
and you will know how to put all that back in HOW??
Old 05-15-2016, 04:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
The simple answer is I'm not. The wiring harness is pretty badly corroded in the ends and by nicks and cuts where it has been chafed over the years. Seeing the wiring harness out explains all of the little but annoying electrical gremlins it had.

I haven't decided how I am going to rewire it, but one thought is making the whole vehicle computer controlled. A hobby of mine is playing with microcontrollers and controller area networks. Another thought is to rewire it according to the original wiring diagram using colored wire.

Whichever way I go, the pile of corroded wire that is gracing my driveway won't be going back in.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
You would likely be amazed at how much wiring is installed within a house as well. Hundreds and hundreds of feet of it - all able to be quickly installed by a pro.

This is pretty much the same. Just another step required in a project on the scale of this one. Not that difficult if you understand it - but no argument that's it will be a tedious time consuming part of it. One of those parts that will require hours and hours of hard work, with little progress showing for it.

Awesome project. AC removal proving this project has the right tools available! Best of luck!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #42
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
The simple answer is I'm not. The wiring harness is pretty badly corroded in the ends and by nicks and cuts where it has been chafed over the years. Seeing the wiring harness out explains all of the little but annoying electrical gremlins it had.

I haven't decided how I am going to rewire it, but one thought is making the whole vehicle computer controlled. A hobby of mine is playing with microcontrollers and controller area networks. Another thought is to rewire it according to the original wiring diagram using colored wire.

Whichever way I go, the pile of corroded wire that is gracing my driveway won't be going back in.
As tempted as you might be to use your hobby to control the electrical systems on your Motor Home, I would remind you of the KISS theory.

When driven the systems are subjected to every stress (heat, cold, humidity, water, shaking) you can imagine.

My suggestion is use you current harness as a guide to how many wires, and gauges you will need go to a store and buy as many rolls of different colored wire you can and make your own new harness.

You can add stripping to the wire by unrolling the wire and streaking between to posts and using these pens. Letting the paint dry and rolling the wire back up.

Amazon.com : Uni-Paint PX-20 Oil-Based Paint Marker, Medium Point, Assorted Colors, 6-Pack (63630) : Uni Paint Oil : Office Products

Wiring is not that hard if you take your time and complete one circuit at a time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elandan, frame