Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #421

There was a famous house of ill repute in Bowling Green than ran from early 1900's until 1969. House was torn down and sold brick by brick for souvenirs. Read all about it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/urbanle...ay-street/amp/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #422
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post

Good luck in Bowling Green!
Thank you, we WON!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #423

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
GlennLever,
Congrats on your win, nice way to end the season.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #424

Too bad Pauline's House is closed. You could have stopped in to celebrate. That's what the drag racers did back in the early sixties.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Thank you, we WON!
Congratulations Glenn! As Frank said, no better way to end the season.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #426

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
i just got 1 myself free everything in it is perfect great former owner,just wont start any ideas which electric fuel pump they used
djlgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #427

Not much happened out in the shop this week. I've spent the week getting ready for a week-long business trip to S. Korea.

I did receive the sheet metal for the oven, and did a trial fitting before riveting it all together. It feels like a good size, and I'm quite happy with the way it's turning out. I might shorten the base one level, though. It's sitting a bit high. I'll finish it first and then shorten the bast if needed. It's always easier to remove material than add.

I also mounted the main motor housing and the back of the belt guard on the lathe along with the threading gear adjuster. It's starting to feel complete.

The lathe motor is so heavy that I figured I would reassemble it in place. With the motor in place, it is difficult to walk behind the lathe. I've been using the space behind the lathe as a path through the shop, but that's no longer possible. Good place to temporarily store some 20L jugs of oil, though.

A friend of mine scraps machines every now and then, and sometimes he wind of machines being parted out. He commented last this week that with an industrial sized lathe, I also need an industrial sized mill. There was a Volvo prototype shop machine which no longer ran that the owner was looking to get rid of in a hurry. So yesterday, the day before I leave for Korea, I borrowed a truck and headed 250 km north in the pouring rain.

12 hours later, and with the help of my neighbor with a bigger loader than mine, I had the machine unloaded and in my shop. Sorry, but I forgot to take pictures in the dark cold rain last night. I've also been clearing space in the shop.

I have no idea what's wrong with the machine. I don't even know if it starts. All I know is that the power feed stopped working and the owner bought himself a new machine and this one needed to be gone fast. And I know all of you are thinking - just what I need, another project. I'll never get back to the Elandan. But somehow I think having to clear space for this machine will also make me clear space to get the Elandan cab into the garage.

The machine is a TOS FGH 32. It's made in Czechoslovakia in 1980, back in the Soviet era. It weighs about 2,700 kg, or 6,000 lbs. Talk about heft! It was originally built as a horizontal milling machine, but TOS converted them to have a vertical mill head a well. At some point somebody added a Sony digital readout to it, which I got with it. The milling table area is 1250x420mm (50x16.5 in), so it should be able to tackle most milling jobs that I have. I didn't get any attachments or tools with it, so I'll have to see what I can find. I also didn't get any manuals or wiring diagramswith it, so I'll have to figure it out as I go along unless I can find something on the internet.

The head has an ISO 50 taper attachment, so tools should be fairly easy to find (famous last words!), but they are heavy. The draw bar that pulls the cone up in the head is threaded M24 - That's almost an inch in diameter. It also tilts from side to side so that you can mill at an angle. I don't think the quill moves, so you can't bore holes at an angle.

When I get home my highest priority is to get the powder coating oven completed and getting the space to bring the cab into the shop. I plan on the cab being my winter project.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:41 AM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlgnd View Post
i just got 1 myself free everything in it is perfect great former owner,just wont start any ideas which electric fuel pump they used
I don't know off-hand. I suggest you post a new thread and ask if anybody knows.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #429
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looks like you might have a new business started. A machine shop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #430

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Erik,
Another nice project for you in your spare time, lol. The mill is a nice addition to your shop, especially with the CNC attachment.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Looks like you might have a new business started. A machine shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Erik,
Another nice project for you in your spare time, lol. The mill is a nice addition to your shop, especially with the CNC attachment.
Frank
It's not a CNC attachment, just a digital read out (DRO). A CNC attachment would have been awesome! It does have power feed though. I look forward to getting home and playing with it. I am building a smaller CNC mil for wood and plastic.

This week I'm sitting in technical meetings 18 hours per day and trying not to fall asleep from jet lag. Lots and lots of coffee will be consumed throughout the day!

I do plan to take in some machine shop work on the side when I get the machines up and running. I already have someone who is waiting for me to get my powder coating oven finished to get a few things coated. Sometimes when I'm out in the shop working I think of changing from working with software development to hardware, or at least a combination of them. After developing software for 34 years, it's not as inspiring as it once was. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #432
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
It's not a CNC attachment, just a digital read out (DRO). A CNC attachment would have been awesome! It does have power feed though. I look forward to getting home and playing with it. I am building a smaller CNC mil for wood and plastic.

This week I'm sitting in technical meetings 18 hours per day and trying not to fall asleep from jet lag. Lots and lots of coffee will be consumed throughout the day!

I do plan to take in some machine shop work on the side when I get the machines up and running. I already have someone who is waiting for me to get my powder coating oven finished to get a few things coated. Sometimes when I'm out in the shop working I think of changing from working with software development to hardware, or at least a combination of them. After developing software for 34 years, it's not as inspiring as it once was. We'll see what happens.
Interesting. I once did all the software coding and updates for the payroll department of Bausch & Lomb.

Hated it, drove me mad, left and opened my own garage, sold that and now work out of my own shop doing the powder coat stuff.

Built this today, was a lot of fun. I'm think I will build more.

I will finish the powder coat primer.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0971.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	142419  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #433
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Wow. Some fellow escapees (or maybe soon to be?) from the high-tech software world. I earned a couple of advanced computer science degrees, have my name on a bunch of patents, worked for a very large computer company then a high-tech startup (patents were there). Now, I am building wood furniture in my own business.

I do use software, including some of my own code, in my business, for both design and production. I also have a CNC that processes all of the sheetgoods. It is way more accurate than I could ever be with measuring and/or jigs. And, it never calls in sick.

There is just something about seeing my work years later and my clients are still very happy with what I built. When I wrote software it seemed to always be obsolete within months. Nothing ever seemed to last. There was always something newer, faster, better (matter of opinion), different, etc. Specifications and protocols are always evolving. There never seemed to be an end in sight. I know: job security.

My work is what I call "semi-custom" so I do have some variation in the work. That keeps it from being completely boring. I get to meet lots of very nice folks (clients) and travel to jobsites (I cover the entire state of FL). It is satisfying to see a physical product as the result of my design software and know that it is going to work as planned the first time.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #434

I work with developing new technology standards, mostly in C and C++. I've headed up the efforts for several industry standards that are used by everything from mobile phones to aircraft navigation systems.

I actually still love the coding, especially the architecture work. It's all the corporate overhead and politics that drive me nuts, and will probably drive me from the industry.

Funny you mention furniture, cwk. I have a friend who writes code and makes furniture on the side. His house is filled with beautiful handcrafted stuff.

If I do jump the corporate ship, I'll probably lean towards doing small scale mechatronic prototyping. Combining mechanical engineering with software engineering. Seems there are a lot of people with good ideas but no way to implement them. The down side is that inventors never seem to have any money...

Tags
elandan, frame