Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #519

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Rick - there is another thread by Piker where he has repaired some delamination. Can't recall what the thread is called but a search of Piker could find it.
Here's the link to Piker's thread for your perusal Rick.

New Exterior Siding

Merry Christmas to y'all.

Ken
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Glenn, To quote you previous post "I forgotten what the thread was about I think we need an update on one of Erik's projects to get us back on track." .
I joined this thread because I have a serious delamination problem on my Winnebago and what the OP was doing directly addressed my situation. And While I love heavy machinery and have done my share of fabrication and machine work I will never have the money or shop space needed to do the things he is into now. I still need to repair the coach. I meant no disrespect in saying what I did, just pointing out that the thread on a RV repair site seems to have gone in a totally unrelated direction and one that is not going to help me.

Rick

By the way, your fabrications are amazing! I love them.
Rick,

Sorry that you have been waiting for me to get back to the Elandan. I am going to get back to the Elandan soon. It was not my intention to get sidetracked by the other projects, but I've been looking for both a decent mill and a lathe at a price I can afford for quite a few years. They both just appeared fairly close to each other. Not an excuse, but do I plan to get back on track.

As far as the Elandan goes, it is a long term project. And when I say long term, I mean it could go on for 5 years. I plan on doing the cab first and then the frame before any work on the house. The running gear will most likely come last if I don't do it as part of the frame. It depends on if I stumble over a good engine/tranny combo.

I doubt that I will be dealing with the delamination any time soon. I'm not even sure I will keep the original interior height. I'm 6', and I could use a little more head room. I have also been thinking about how to fix the delamination, and I really don't have an answer at this time. Right now, my hope is that having the walls stand outside in the weather will completely separate the outer fiberglass from the wood underneath. Then I can glue it to a new wood or other structural sheet and reattach it.

I've also been toying with doing an Air Stream type covering with sheet aluminum. And I have been thinking if perhaps it should be a lacquered wood exterior. I don't know what I will do until I get there. What I do know is that I will not get there this year, and I doubt very much that I will get to the house next year.

Hopefully you can find the information you need to do your project in the time frame that you are looking for. What I can say is that if I were to repair heavy delamination, I would rebuild the walls from the outside in, from the inside. If you do go ahead with it, I hope you start your own build thread. I will be one of your readers.

But for now, I have a few loose ends to tie up. But there is space in the garage now for the cab.

Happy Holidays!
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #521

So, getting back to projects.

Today I picked up a new starter for the backhoe. The backhoe hasn't run since the day I picked up the mill. After that it has refused to start. I've gone through the starter but couldn't find anything wrong with it. But when I took the started cables and hooked them directly to the starter terminals and it just barely turned over. I broke down and got myself a 3.1kW starter. It's heavy and big. Here it is compared to the starter on the 454 from the Elandan. I'm waiting for a sunny non-windy day before I install it, but hopefully it will be this weekend. If all goes as planned, I'll be able to move all of the heavy stuff blocking my access to the back of the barn.

This week I made a new oil pipe for the lathe. It took a few tries, but I finally got it made to shape. The first one I got to shape turned out to be too short. To bend it, I stuck it in the bead roller with a flat roller on the bottom and a 6mm bead on the top and bent it around the wheel.

And it fit perfectly in the lathe.

Or so I thought. As it turned out, there is a lip on the bottom of the lid, which is made out of cast iron. It turned out to be a long process of lifting the lid off, removing the pipe, heat bending it slightly, putting it back, and lifting the lid back on. Repeat, repeat and repeat. I finally got it to the fit. But on the last fit, I accidentally broke the sight glass for the oil sight. The result was a few glass shards and a very deep gash in my thumb.

I also finished the last door for the oven. But as these things go, I didn't have the hinges for it, so I picked them up today when I was out. So the oven will be finished soon. Or at least the metal part. They sent me the wrong electrical cables. They sent me 195 C cables instead of the 1200 C cables I ordered. So I'll be using my little oven in the meanwhile.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #522

I powder coated my first part today. It was really fun to do the process for real. I've done some test sheet metal pieces, but this was the first one for real.

I came home late from work today, and I didn't have all that much time left to spend out in the shop. But I needed to do something to unwind. My mom's wheelbarrow had a flat which I decided to fix, but the wheel was really rusty. So I followed Glenn's excellent powder coating how-to and this is how it turned out. Unfortunately I scratched it when I was attempting (failed) to mount the tire, and will be recoating it. So I'll get to find out how that is.

I've also been thinking about the color scheme for the Elandan. The family and I decided to go with a blue color scheme. So with that, I've been looking the RAL color chart to see what the main color for the frame and underpinnings will be. I've been having fun with the powder coating I've done so far, and I can certainly see myself doing a couple of parts for the Elandan every now and then when I have the oven going. I just have to decide on the RAL color and pick up the powder.

But for now I'm looking forward to having some free time during the holidays to get caught up. Between now and Christmas it's going to be hectic.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #523

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Glenn,
Please continue to post here, I for one enjoy your input and you do have a vast knowledge that helps us.
Erik,
Nice work, and you know by now that every project requires a little blood loss, lol.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #524
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Glenn,
Please continue to post here, I for one enjoy your input and you do have a vast knowledge that helps us.
Erik,
Nice work, and you know by now that every project requires a little blood

Ok, was feeling guilty about sending the thread in different directions

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #525

Gulf Streamers Club
I too find Erik's various projects entertaining reading. Glenn has contributed to the thread with his knowledge and practical advice on powder coating. I'm sure powder coating will become an important part of restoring and rebuilding Erik's RV. I hope both of you continue adding to this fascinating journey.

Merry Christmas

Bob

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #526

I was unable to find a new glass or plastic cylinder to replace the broken sight glass, so I made one out of copper tubing. It does the job of sealing the oil in, but the down side is it lacks a bit in transparency. I'll have to go down to the local liquor store and start measuring the necks of all the liquor bottles. I can already see the expression on the clerk's face when I ask for a bottle of their finest, but only if it comes in a clear bottle with a straight 28mm neck.

But with the copper pipe in place, I could get the lathe running. It is now running nice and quiet - much quieter than when I bought it. The hydraulic brake also works, as does the reverse clutch. Neither was working well before. The gear box switches gears nicely, and even though the threading or power feed doesn't work yet, I'm calling the mechanicals of the lathe done!

I still have make some of the missing parts for it, but it is now usable. I also need to do the electrics. Right now the motor is wired to an on-off switch and then straight to a plug. I need to add a motor protection circuit and an e-stop. I'm sure that e-stops weren't even thought of when the lathe was built, but I'll install one just for safety's sake. I hope never to have to use it, but you never know.

With a tool like a lathe or a mill, the fun doesn't end with getting the machine up ad running. Now there are all the toolings that need to be made. And cutters. And the whatevers. It never stops, but that's part of the fun.

Time to turn some cool stuff!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #527
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post

I still have make some of the missing parts for it, but it is now usable. I also need to do the electrics. Right now the motor is wired to an on-off switch and then straight to a plug. I need to add a motor protection circuit and an e-stop. I'm sure that e-stops weren't even thought of when the lathe was built, but I'll install one just for safety's sake. I hope never to have to use it, but you never know.
Would that include a magnetic start switch? My table saw (and some other large power tools) has this feature. If the power goes off, I do not want the saw to restart as soon as the power resumes. The thought of that lathe suddenly starting up as the lights in the room come on at the same time...
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Would that include a magnetic start switch? My table saw (and some other large power tools) has this feature. If the power goes off, I do not want the saw to restart as soon as the power resumes. The thought of that lathe suddenly starting up as the lights in the room come on at the same time...
Yes it does. The motor protection includes the use of a magnetic switch and an automatic shut-off if the motor draws too high of an amperage such as when something gets stuck and keeps it from turning.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #529
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
You have to find some glass, maybe a local glass blowing artist? You see those guys in the malls at Christmas time all the time.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #530
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Acrylic plastic turned down with a mighty fine looking lathe?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #531
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Acrylic plastic turned down with a mighty fine looking lathe?
Now there is a thought, so long as it does not color over time from the oil

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #532

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a possibility: 28mm O.D. Corning Pyrex Glass Tubing

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags