Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
Starting on removing cab

Today I started removing the cab.

First I removed the doors


Then I started removing the floor. A plasma cutter sure helps when removing unwanted panels


The removed floor was quite heavy with heavy supports. For some reason the supports didn't go all the way across.


The rear beam didn't go all the way across either.

If it did, it would have added much needed strength to the cab.

The cab with doors and passenger floor removed
__________________

__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
Next up was removing the windshields. The windshield frame is quite rusted and will need having sections replaced.

The driver windshield was first


To remove the windshields, I used a multi-tool to cut around the windshield. I didn't have to cut along the bottom. The bottom of the frame was so rusted the windshield was no longer attached.


With both windshields removed, I started on cutting the cab off from the frame


Cutting the cab from the frame in the rear. I welded a pipe in place to strengthen the cab when I lift it.


Now all that is left is to cut the front supports and the cab is free
__________________

__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #101
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Mög osså. De blev inte helt rätt!


Mög oss å. De blev inte helt rätt!


MOG us on . They were not quite right!
__________________
See projects on my 1997 America Dream here, Index to the projects is in the first post.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Mög oss å. De blev inte helt rätt!


MOG us on . They were not quite right!
Loosely translated it means "Oh crap, that didn't turn out quite right!" in the Southern dialect.

English is not my native language, and sometimes what I say or write comes out all wrong!
__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #103
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Loosely translated it means "Oh crap, that didn't turn out quite right!" in the Southern dialect.

English is not my native language, and sometimes what I say or write comes out all wrong!

I just googled it, sorry for the poor translation.
__________________
See projects on my 1997 America Dream here, Index to the projects is in the first post.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
Electra 225's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 836
Hey Erik,
You're cooking right along! What is the first phase plan after demo?

Regards,
W.D.
__________________
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 AM   #105
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hey Erik,
You're cooking right along! What is the first phase plan after demo?

Regards,
W.D.
Getting as much of it as possible indoors before the fall storms roll in.

Next phase really depends on what time of year it is. Frame work is mostly summer work. Cab metal work is winter work. And I need a bigger garage...
__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #106
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I just googled it, sorry for the poor translation.
No worries. Google Translate comes up with some real interesting translations sometimes. Both funny and shocking. I use it quite frequently, and you'd be surprised with some of the things it comes up with.
__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #107
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Loosely translated it means "Oh crap, that didn't turn out quite right!" in the Southern dialect.

English is not my native language, and sometimes what I say or write comes out all wrong!
Cool, I was hoping you would explain that phrase.
__________________
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,398
A Russian I was corresponding with was having a REALLY tough time with his translating. He eventually learned that if he could take his Russian to English translation and understand it when he converted back to Russian, he was good to go! If not, he had to reword it as required.
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
One thing that has always irritated me about the Elandan is the poor engine access. I suspect this is true for most front engined class A owners. Dismantling the cab I'm realizing how many things that you just can't reach without cutting sheet metal.

So today while adding supports to the cab to avoid it losing it's shape when I lift it off the frame I was thinking about ways to increase engine access. Plus, with the amount of work I'm putting into it I would like to be able to show off the front end and engine compartment.

My first thought was to make a removable floor. Not just the engine cover, but the entire cab floor. The problem with that is that while it makes it easier to service the engine, showing it off isn't any easier. Getting access to the engine would involve removing the seats, then the carpet, and finally the floor.

My second thought is to make the cab easier to remove using the backhoe. By strengthening the roof, I could make it so that you remove the roof top and then lift the entire cab off including the interior. Again, makes for easier servicing, but still a lot of work.

My brother suggested that I make a tilt cab. This idea has Merritt. You tilt the cab forward the same way that you do on a cab-over truck. This would certainly make it easier to service the engine and show off the front end. My initial reaction was that building a tilt cab would be way too much work. Then I started thinking about it and looking at the construction of the front end. The two main problems I see with this solution is how to strengthen the house part when the cab is tilted, and how to seal the cab to the house part.

Has anybody seen a tilt cab class A before?
__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #110
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
One thing that has always irritated me about the Elandan is the poor engine access. I suspect this is true for most front engined class A owners. Dismantling the cab I'm realizing how many things that you just can't reach without cutting sheet metal.

So today while adding supports to the cab to avoid it losing it's shape when I lift it off the frame I was thinking about ways to increase engine access. Plus, with the amount of work I'm putting into it I would like to be able to show off the front end and engine compartment.

My first thought was to make a removable floor. Not just the engine cover, but the entire cab floor. The problem with that is that while it makes it easier to service the engine, showing it off isn't any easier. Getting access to the engine would involve removing the seats, then the carpet, and finally the floor.

My second thought is to make the cab easier to remove using the backhoe. By strengthening the roof, I could make it so that you remove the roof top and then lift the entire cab off including the interior. Again, makes for easier servicing, but still a lot of work.

My brother suggested that I make a tilt cab. This idea has Merritt. You tilt the cab forward the same way that you do on a cab-over truck. This would certainly make it easier to service the engine and show off the front end. My initial reaction was that building a tilt cab would be way too much work. Then I started thinking about it and looking at the construction of the front end. The two main problems I see with this solution is how to strengthen the house part when the cab is tilted, and how to seal the cab to the house part.

Has anybody seen a tilt cab class A before?
Getting it toe seal and the geometer of the tilt will certainly be a challenge.

You will be able to see the engine, but getting to it might be a different story.

What will be the major role of the RV, showing or using it.

I think I like the idea of removal panels.
__________________
See projects on my 1997 America Dream here, Index to the projects is in the first post.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
DeOrellana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Getting it toe seal and the geometer of the tilt will certainly be a challenge.

You will be able to see the engine, but getting to it might be a different story.

What will be the major role of the RV, showing or using it.

I think I like the idea of removal panels.
Thanks for the voice of reason, GlennLever! I will be showing it some, but I am also planning on using it. And since I will be traveling across Europe in it regardless, it does need to work as a vehicle and not just be a trailer queen.

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in an idea for a project and forget about use. As I think about it more, I think frame flex will also come into play and may cause nagging noises between the cab and the house. I can see seemingly endless hours on the autobahn with the squeaking behind my head driving me crazy.

It will certainly be easier to build removable panels, and they will most likely be more useful than a tilt cab. Just not as cool.
__________________
Erik
1989 Winnebago Elandan under "extreme" renovation
Renovation thread
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #112
New to the RV World
 
GlennLever's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,045
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Thanks for the voice of reason, GlennLever! I will be showing it some, but I am also planning on using it. And since I will be traveling across Europe in it regardless, it does need to work as a vehicle and not just be a trailer queen.

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in an idea for a project and forget about use. As I think about it more, I think frame flex will also come into play and may cause nagging noises between the cab and the house. I can see seemingly endless hours on the autobahn with the squeaking behind my head driving me crazy.

It will certainly be easier to build removable panels, and they will most likely be more useful than a tilt cab. Just not as cool.
I agree with your reasoning
__________________

__________________
See projects on my 1997 America Dream here, Index to the projects is in the first post.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
elandan, frame


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wood frame vs Aluminum frame Jayco23FB Jayco Owner's Forum 1 03-10-2014 09:09 PM
Wood Frame vs. Aluminum Frame looking for your input! Tumble Weed 5th Wheel Discussion 3 02-11-2013 08:31 PM
Off-off-off road campers lllkrob iRV2.com General Discussion 3 08-06-2012 01:48 PM
All Steel frame vs Aluminum frame Always-RVing MH-General Discussions & Problems 15 10-12-2009 12:48 PM
Problems with 1989 Elandan lbm180 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 12 02-03-2009 04:12 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.