Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #99

Starting on removing cab

Today I started removing the cab.

First I removed the doors

Then I started removing the floor. A plasma cutter sure helps when removing unwanted panels

The removed floor was quite heavy with heavy supports. For some reason the supports didn't go all the way across.

The rear beam didn't go all the way across either.

If it did, it would have added much needed strength to the cab.

The cab with doors and passenger floor removed

DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #100

Next up was removing the windshields. The windshield frame is quite rusted and will need having sections replaced.

The driver windshield was first

To remove the windshields, I used a multi-tool to cut around the windshield. I didn't have to cut along the bottom. The bottom of the frame was so rusted the windshield was no longer attached.

With both windshields removed, I started on cutting the cab off from the frame

Cutting the cab from the frame in the rear. I welded a pipe in place to strengthen the cab when I lift it.

Now all that is left is to cut the front supports and the cab is free

Old 05-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #101
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Mög osså. De blev inte helt rätt!

Mög oss å. De blev inte helt rätt!

MOG us on . They were not quite right!

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Mög oss å. De blev inte helt rätt!

MOG us on . They were not quite right!
Loosely translated it means "Oh crap, that didn't turn out quite right!" in the Southern dialect.

English is not my native language, and sometimes what I say or write comes out all wrong!
Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #103
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Loosely translated it means "Oh crap, that didn't turn out quite right!" in the Southern dialect.

English is not my native language, and sometimes what I say or write comes out all wrong!

I just googled it, sorry for the poor translation.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Erik,
You're cooking right along! What is the first phase plan after demo?

Regards,
W.D.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hey Erik,
You're cooking right along! What is the first phase plan after demo?

Regards,
W.D.
Getting as much of it as possible indoors before the fall storms roll in.

Next phase really depends on what time of year it is. Frame work is mostly summer work. Cab metal work is winter work. And I need a bigger garage...
Old 05-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #106

Quote:
I just googled it, sorry for the poor translation.
No worries. Google Translate comes up with some real interesting translations sometimes. Both funny and shocking. I use it quite frequently, and you'd be surprised with some of the things it comes up with.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #107

Quote:

Cool, I was hoping you would explain that phrase.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #108

A Russian I was corresponding with was having a REALLY tough time with his translating. He eventually learned that if he could take his Russian to English translation and understand it when he converted back to Russian, he was good to go! If not, he had to reword it as required.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #109

One thing that has always irritated me about the Elandan is the poor engine access. I suspect this is true for most front engined class A owners. Dismantling the cab I'm realizing how many things that you just can't reach without cutting sheet metal.

So today while adding supports to the cab to avoid it losing it's shape when I lift it off the frame I was thinking about ways to increase engine access. Plus, with the amount of work I'm putting into it I would like to be able to show off the front end and engine compartment.

My first thought was to make a removable floor. Not just the engine cover, but the entire cab floor. The problem with that is that while it makes it easier to service the engine, showing it off isn't any easier. Getting access to the engine would involve removing the seats, then the carpet, and finally the floor.

My second thought is to make the cab easier to remove using the backhoe. By strengthening the roof, I could make it so that you remove the roof top and then lift the entire cab off including the interior. Again, makes for easier servicing, but still a lot of work.

My brother suggested that I make a tilt cab. This idea has Merritt. You tilt the cab forward the same way that you do on a cab-over truck. This would certainly make it easier to service the engine and show off the front end. My initial reaction was that building a tilt cab would be way too much work. Then I started thinking about it and looking at the construction of the front end. The two main problems I see with this solution is how to strengthen the house part when the cab is tilted, and how to seal the cab to the house part.

Has anybody seen a tilt cab class A before?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #110
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
One thing that has always irritated me about the Elandan is the poor engine access. I suspect this is true for most front engined class A owners. Dismantling the cab I'm realizing how many things that you just can't reach without cutting sheet metal.

So today while adding supports to the cab to avoid it losing it's shape when I lift it off the frame I was thinking about ways to increase engine access. Plus, with the amount of work I'm putting into it I would like to be able to show off the front end and engine compartment.

My first thought was to make a removable floor. Not just the engine cover, but the entire cab floor. The problem with that is that while it makes it easier to service the engine, showing it off isn't any easier. Getting access to the engine would involve removing the seats, then the carpet, and finally the floor.

My second thought is to make the cab easier to remove using the backhoe. By strengthening the roof, I could make it so that you remove the roof top and then lift the entire cab off including the interior. Again, makes for easier servicing, but still a lot of work.

My brother suggested that I make a tilt cab. This idea has Merritt. You tilt the cab forward the same way that you do on a cab-over truck. This would certainly make it easier to service the engine and show off the front end. My initial reaction was that building a tilt cab would be way too much work. Then I started thinking about it and looking at the construction of the front end. The two main problems I see with this solution is how to strengthen the house part when the cab is tilted, and how to seal the cab to the house part.

Has anybody seen a tilt cab class A before?
Getting it toe seal and the geometer of the tilt will certainly be a challenge.

You will be able to see the engine, but getting to it might be a different story.

What will be the major role of the RV, showing or using it.

I think I like the idea of removal panels.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #111

Quote:
Getting it toe seal and the geometer of the tilt will certainly be a challenge.

You will be able to see the engine, but getting to it might be a different story.

What will be the major role of the RV, showing or using it.

I think I like the idea of removal panels.
Thanks for the voice of reason, GlennLever! I will be showing it some, but I am also planning on using it. And since I will be traveling across Europe in it regardless, it does need to work as a vehicle and not just be a trailer queen.

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in an idea for a project and forget about use. As I think about it more, I think frame flex will also come into play and may cause nagging noises between the cab and the house. I can see seemingly endless hours on the autobahn with the squeaking behind my head driving me crazy.

It will certainly be easier to build removable panels, and they will most likely be more useful than a tilt cab. Just not as cool.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #112
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for the voice of reason, GlennLever! I will be showing it some, but I am also planning on using it. And since I will be traveling across Europe in it regardless, it does need to work as a vehicle and not just be a trailer queen.

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in an idea for a project and forget about use. As I think about it more, I think frame flex will also come into play and may cause nagging noises between the cab and the house. I can see seemingly endless hours on the autobahn with the squeaking behind my head driving me crazy.

It will certainly be easier to build removable panels, and they will most likely be more useful than a tilt cab. Just not as cool.
I agree with your reasoning

Tags
elandan, frame