Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #197

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
LOL
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #198

A little late on the commenting, but love the lathe. What a find!! Vote for painting original color. Also love that you already have got use out of it.

As for the deconstruction, great work. I am enjoying the process.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #199

The good weather continued today, giving me the chance to remove the rest of the walls.

I hooked up the back hoe to hold the second wall while I removed the rear panel. The two remaining walls kept each other from falling down.

The rear panel removed.

The rear panel was just folded along a crease using the outside layer as a hinge.

There isn't much structural stuff inside the rear panel. It easily lays flat after being removed.

Inside the rear panel they put steel plates without any rust protection which have since rusted away

The second wall coming off

When I lifted the second wall, the sealant wouldn't let go and knocked the floor off the foundation. Also, they put screws in from the bottom which they hadn't done on the other side.

Fortunately there was no damage done. If I had a second pair of eyes available this could probably have been avoided, but since I don't I couldn't see the sideways movement of the floor while I was keeping my eyes on the lifting bucket.

The walls were heavier than I expected. Moving them I used an oak log as counterbalance because the back hoe was feeling a bit tippy.

Now the walls are gone, and just the floor and roof are left.

The walls are parked off to the side for a while until I figure out where to put them. My original plan isn't possible due to the weight of the walls.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #200

Freightliner Owners Club
Erik,
Another fine job, Nothing ever seems to go as planned, but you seem to be handling it very well.
Frank
Old 07-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #201

So I have to ask, now that this coach has been completely disassembled, do you have a rough idea on how you're going to proceed? I'm assuming you'll go through the chassis and floor, but the area of my concern lies in the walls and ceiling. Will you be breaking these down for further inspection? Not looking for detail. Just a view from high up.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #202

Winnebago Owners Club
Well done. Now the rebuilding can begin. Will be watching closely as I find bringing classics back to life very interesting.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
So I have to ask, now that this coach has been completely disassembled, do you have a rough idea on how you're going to proceed? I'm assuming you'll go through the chassis and floor, but the area of my concern lies in the walls and ceiling. Will you be breaking these down for further inspection? Not looking for detail. Just a view from high up.
I'll be going through the walls and ceiling and stripping them down to the frame. Not entirely sure how yet, though. There is quite a bit of known delamination, and I suspect that there quite a bit of rot both in the roof and the ceiling, as well as in the floor. I will also be inspecting all of the welds in the walls and ceiling and rewelding any cracks.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Erik,
Another fine job, Nothing ever seems to go as planned, but you seem to be handling it very well.
Frank
Thanks Frank. I find that once something hasn't gone as you wanted it, it doesn't help to panic. I just reassess the situation and go on from there.

An economics professor once taught me that in economics, you can't look at a project and make decisions based on how much you've already spent. You check-mark and reassess the current situation as a basis for any decision. I find that works well with any type of project, not just economics. Once something has not gone according to plan, no use crying over spilled milk - just fix it
Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Well done. Now the rebuilding can begin. Will be watching closely as I find bringing classics back to life very interesting.
Thanks Gordon.

I still have to take the frame down to the bare rails before I get it blasted. I hope to get that done before the fall. Then make space in the shop to bring the parts inside so I can work on it this winter. Keep watching!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #206

We have friends visiting from the States right now, so not much time available out in the workshop or on the Elandan. This is the first time I've had a chance to spend time on the computer, but I've been sneaking off late at night for a midnight rendezvous with the shop. My wife says it's nice knowing that the other woman in my life has wheels...

Since I only have limited time at a time, I've been working on the lathe. The lathe is now mostly operational, but not the auto feed though. The threading is programmed using gears, and there is a chart and formula for figuring out which combination of gears that you want. In the box of rusty stuff that came with the lathe was the gears, but they needed a bit of cleaning up.

The gears all had the number of teeth stamped into them which was bearly visible under all the grime. While not original, I decided to color code them and make a chart in Excel to put on the wall with the various gear combinations both in colors and number of teeth. It's going to be much easier to program it with colors than trying to find the number stamp. Plus the paint will make it easier to keep the gears clean.

The 380v to 24v transformer wasn't working.

The wire to the fuse holder had come undone. The solder had let loose some time in the last 70 years. Since it was soldered in place, I made a small change so I could solder it on the work bench and then install the fuse holder.

I talked to some guys who work at a local vintage machine museum, and they said if I'm going to use it, to paint it. It's much easier to keep clean and use if painted. Brush paint would be the norm used at the factory. They also explained how a machine would have been fixed up in a factory to be used on the shop floor. So I started painting it with that in mind; it's the best restoration I can do and still be able to use it and keeping it's history mostly intact.

The lamp got an antique white inside the shade and outside it's the original light green. The lady at the paint store worked magic matching an unexposed piece of the machine that I brought in. Bang on match!

All of the dents are still there as they would not have fixed them in a factory environment.

I started scraping the loose paint off of the machine, but it turned out that most all of the paint is loose and peeling with rust underneath from being in an unheated garage. It's more than 3mm (1/8") thick in places. Plus there is body filler in places (???) covering rust. With the rust and paint removed, a layer of primer looks nice.

Just doing a section at a time as time allows.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #207

Freightliner Owners Club
Erik,
Nice job on the clean up and primer, and I agree that is a very good idea about the colors on the thread cutting gears. Makes it a whole lot easier when you go set up to cut threads.
Frank
Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #208

Shop day. Wohoo!

Had an entire day out in the shop today as our friends decided to go exploring in town on their own.

That means that I had time to tackle the roof of the Elandan. It's been a while since I lifted it off, but I never removed all of the through-roof hardware such as vents and such. With the vents removed the delimination of the roof became even more apparent.

The roof had badly corroded in places, which is why I decided to redo the roof.

I hooked up the backhoe to the roof and lifted it down from where it had sat.

When I lifted the roof it started to separate and the delamination became even more apparent.

So the roof will have to come apart.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #209

Taking apart the roof

The 1989 Winnebago Elandan brochure describes the Elandan as having "Welded Aluminum Wall And Roof Structure". I guess the engineers didn't talk to marketing. Removing the inner paneling revealed rusted steel ribs.

I guess taking the roof apart was a good move. At least some of the ribs will have to be replaced. No wonder the roof was so heavy!

The was also a lot of steel panels inside the roof for things to be screwed into.

Cutting the inside panel along the frame of the roof and cutting through all of the various layers of steel sheets and the roof started to separate.

After a while I had the first half of the roof covering off.

Then came the second half of the covering.

Now the roof frame is free

And this is the "Welded Aluminum Roof Structure"

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #210

Oh No! You mean the RV industry misleads potential customers by lying in their brochures?

Tags
elandan, frame