Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Electric Brake Magnet Wires

My electric brake magnet wires were snipped near the magnet inside the drums when I went to do a wheel bearing repack. Enough wire was at least left, coming out of magnet to be able to splice. All wires outside the backing plates are still connected and untouched.

Both wires are 1-color(green). Does it make difference as to how either wire is spliced together if unknown which is positive?
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
splice away no diff
Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

The magnets are like a light bulb. They don't care positive vs. negative. They'll work fine as long as they have one of each!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Got them all wired back up. Now waiting for my TV to get back from repair shop to test/adjust braking out.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One suggestion.. Make sure you SEAL the connections, if you taped them with common electrical tape that will NOT seal, water can enter and do damage.

To seal:
Method one is to overwrap the electrical tape with RESCUE tape
(NOTE: I think Radio Shack sells an "Antenna Tape" this is basically the same thing, for use on antenna connections also works here)

Method two is a brush on or spray on coating, Liquid electrical tape or Flex Seal.

Method: Do this next time

Marine grade heat shrink tubing, this is common heat shrink with a mastic liner, It seals water (heck AIR) tight when it's shrunk.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Which cause me to think of another issue. If those splices are taped, what about the effects of heat inside that brake drum?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

Don't worry guys, I used electric wire-crimp splices. No plastic tape, no twisting of wires together, no worry about water or heat affecting the splices. Just a wire splice in the correct gauge and a crimping tool, and done in matter of seconds.

Tags
brake