Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Electric stairs

I have a problem with a new to me 89 Southwind. The electric steps are connected to the coach steps. After 20 plus years they are sagging on the front. I need to put something like angle iron or something to shore up the front side. I put some reinforcement in the back side which helped, but when my 200 lbs hits the step quite a lot of bowing. Anyone dealt with this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before doing any welding or fabrication, I would inspect the stairs more closely for metal fatigue and wear at hinge points. Then compare the cost of strenghtening and fabrication against buying new steps.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

The problem does not a step problem, the weight of the steps are not being supported properly from the steps of the coach. The installation is only only supported by 3/4 plywood on the front. I need to shore the front up or it is going to pull the step off.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Have you pulled the carpet up to see what is wrong or looked from the bottom?

Is the plywood rotted? Are the bolts pulling through the plywood? Are the bolts broken or the nuts loose?

Fender washers or a strap with holes drilled for the bolts to the steps if the holes are enlarged or bolts pulling through, if the plywood is rotted it will probably have to be replaced or a plate made for reinforcement.

What you've given us, the steps are loose, needs to be more specific, why are they loose?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

I haven't looked inside on the steps, but on the bottom where the quickstep is mounded it is pealing back, no support for the steps. When you step on the quick step it will sink and the first step will touch the ground from the weight. It kinda rocks because of no front support.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

When you say the wood is peeling back, you mean the layers of plywood have separated, it has delaminatedl?

You're going to have to take the electric steps off for any repair. They're heavy and not well balanced, a floor jack really helps. Power disconnected before you start anything.

If the bad wood rests on a metal framework it's relatively easy, get the old out and replace it with new. A couple of good coats of paint, rubberized water proofing, flashing on the bottom will help.

If there is no framework I would make a wide L bracket of light steel and hang the new step from the vertical wood if it's solid enough.