Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Electrical Gremlins (oh yes) breaker box

1986 Beaver Marquis. Breakers keep tripping, even with relatively small loads on them. Some are original, some are new. Have verified amp draw on each plugged in piece but breakers still pop! What gives? How do I fix this one???

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I would check the voltage coming into the rv, if your voltage is too low it might have the tendency to trip breakers.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
KIX

are you plugged in to a GFCI circuit?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
since they are old, try taking out the breakers out and tightening the clamp that attaches to the bar that the power goes too, make sure they are making good connection, check all connections, a loose connection causes heat, overheating will make the breakers to trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypuppy View Post
1986 Beaver Marquis. Breakers keep tripping, even with relatively small loads on them. Some are original, some are new. Have verified amp draw on each plugged in piece but breakers still pop! What gives? How do I fix this one???

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #5

<<< Have verified amp draw on each plugged in piece but breakers still pop!>>>

Will you expand on this please? Are you saying loads are confirmed less than breaker capacity?

Voltage within normal range?

Is there something in the area of the breakers causing them to run warmer than normal (e.g. breaker box located next to heater duct or outlet)?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
of coarse you want to make sure supplied voltage is correct, if connected to a gfi source, not a good idea, should be a non gfi source, if the breakers are clamp on breakers sometimes the clamp on the breaker it self gets loose and causes extra heat, and the breakers are rated 80% of amperage shown +-, a loose connection anywhere will cause problems, and a loose neutral will cause a real problems all over,,, a overall tightening and checking may find the problem, if it is in the coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
<<< Have verified amp draw on each plugged in piece but breakers still pop!>>>

Will you expand on this please? Are you saying loads are confirmed less than breaker capacity?

Voltage within normal range?

Is there something in the area of the breakers causing them to run warmer than normal (e.g. breaker box located next to heater duct or outlet)?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Remove cover from load center where breakers are located and identify the input power path and buss bars plus neutral.

Check record and report the following for one.

Voltage where shore cord is connected reference to safety ground and neutral with main off

Voltage on buss bars with main on

Voltage on load side of the tripping breaker when switched on and monitor it for awhile to see if it changes.

Current flow on wire connected to breaker.

These readings ate first step in troubleshooting issue.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a problem with one breaker, verified amp draw using a clamp on ammeter and.. Found the breaker was working as designed, Fixed the problem (I won't go into it since this is not your problem)

Three things cause breakers to trip when you think they should not.

1: Low voltage, but this only applies to motorized stuff like air conditioners and possibly to switching power supplies.

2: AGE.. they weaken with age and what was a 15 amp breaker begins to be like Bo Derrik gettin golder (10,9,8 Well you get the idea) amps.

3: Screws loose... Yup, many RVers have a few screws loose. Like the screw that holds the wire to the circuit breaker, or the screw that holds the wire to the bus bar. This can cause heat which can trip the breaker.

I was in a campground last (2013) summer and the 50 amp breakers were tripping.. I complained and a day later the electrician showed up with new breakers... I was talking to the manager about it and he tried to say it was my fault for drawing too much current (perhaps 20 amps on the heavier leg) I reminded him these were the 50 amp breakers and I was seriously limiting current draw.

When the electrician went to remove the breaker from the box he burned his fingers, had to go back for his gloves, even 10 minutes later the things were too hot to handle comfortably.. I mean they were HOT!!! easily 150-200 degrees (F).

Dang things just wore out.. That part of the park is not 10 years old.

Tags
electrical