Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Electrical Issue

Got a problem with the 89 PA once in a while the breaker on the S&B that she is plugged into will blow? Nothing is on in the MH, actually thinking about it, it has happened @ my brothers and @ the father-in-laws place.
On occasion the breaker in the MH's panel will trip but not blow the S&B's Breaker.
I have been in her with a space heater ,Furnace tv, a small fan, all running and nothing blows?
I have a battery disconnect that I use when not in her.
Baffled,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
What size is the S&B breaker it is plugged into?
Smaller then the RV? Then that is the problem.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
What size is the S&B breaker it is plugged into?
Smaller then the RV? Then that is the problem.
Not so. Even if the RV is 50 amp and the S&B breaker is only 15 amp, it should not blow when nothing in the RV is turned on. Since this is occurring at three different S&B locations, there must be some kind of a problem in the RV.

I would look for an intermittent short in the RV wiring. Finding it will not be easy. First, turn off all of the breakers in the RV. If it still happens, the short is between the breaker panel and the shore power cord.

If it doesn't occur under those conditions, turn on all but one breaker. If the problem still occurs, turn that breaker back on, and turn another one off. Eventually, you should be able to isolate the short to a specific circuit.

The short may either be in the wiring, or in some device connected to that circuit.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Its a dedicated breaker 30 amp for just the MH. MH is 30 Amp. Another poster suggest it might be the extension cord. I had a electrician from work make me the cord, its heavy duty also. I think it was 10-12 gauge wire. He also installed the Breaker and wired it into the panel in the S&B.
I will try what you suggest and turn on one breaker at a time on and see what happens.
It hasn't happened since last Friday.
I really should have one of these anyways? Correct.
In the new brochure from CW that came in the mail today has a 30 amp surge protector on sale for $197.00 reg $339.00.
Thanks, Tim
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In many cases when an outlet is installed OUTDOORS, the breaker feedign it may be a GFCI, (Yes, they make 30 amp GFCI breakers I have seen them in at least two different installations).. Is this the case?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

Tim, sorry for your gremlins. Finding a short can be time consuming. Would recommend the surge protector. Friend of mine fried all his electronics in a 5th wheel due to power surge. Now he has the surge protector after $$ spent replacing everything. We are on the way back from Barrett Jackson auction. I know you didn't make it this year, but well worth your time if you get a chance. BTW, the Cad's did ok, some did not reach the price I thought they would bring. Did you get your convertible sold?
Tom
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #7

If you are popping the 30 amp M/H breaker and not any branch breakers, there are at least 2 things on, otherwise the smaller breaker would pop.

Having a short between the main and branch breaker would be hard to do, since in most cases they are linked with metal bars, in the panel.

I would be looking at the panel for damage or burn marks.

Your shore cord should be 10 gauge, not 12 with 30 amp plugs on them.

Good Luck
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tim,
I would check for a loose connection, start at the connections on the cord, If you have a different extension cord, try it or borrow one to check., Then check the connections in the back of the converter box and the breaker connections. Of course do all the checking with the power disconnected. Also check the cord between the house and the coach for any breaks or frays. Hope this helps you and that you find a simple and easy fix to your problem.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Time out...

You did not state if it ever worked so stop and take a breath.

Troubleshooting steps.

Measure voltage at the outlet and be sure it is wired correctly and 120 VAC.

Next with an ohm meter check the rv from the end of the cord.

Turn off ALL INSIDE BREAKERS.

There should be reading or open circuit between all 3 pins.

You may read a short between neutral and safety ground which is wrong and needs to be fixed later.

If you see a short locate other end of shore cord and inspect for short.

If not take shore cord inside next to breakers.

Open breaker panel and check for continuity between neutral and the whiye wires then safety ground and the bare wired last hot and the hot buss.

Look for any loose or funny looking wires.

Move leads back to end of shore cord to neutral and hot and verify still showing open.

Turn breakers on one at a time amd see what you get.

The readings will depend on what the breaker is for so look for lowest reading.

Do the above and take photos of anything you are not sure off and report back for next steps.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hope I can answer the Questions, We have had her going on 5 years and this just started last spring. Its been working fine until then. Sometimes the only thing that is plugged in is a carbon-dioxide /smoke detector and it still pops. I can reset the breakers in the MH and not have it happen for a few days to a week before she pops again, and sometimes the breaker in the S&B's Blows and the breakers in the MH don't.
The cord looks fine, it runs along the foundation of the S&Bs across the sidewalk in a expansion joint then under the MH to the cord from the MH. I'll take a few pics.
Yes it is a GFI Outlet/box. The breaker was brand new when I had this all done 4 years ago, actually everything was new except the cord itself, I got that from work and the ends were new all the wiring was installed new in the breaker box in the S&B to the box mounted on the S&B.
No I wasn't able to sell the 64, but hope too this spring. Not looking forward to that.
Thank you for the suggestion's
Tim
Old 01-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Again, if it is popping the M/ H breaker, look there and beyond.
Nothing happening, before that breaker, is going to make it blow.

Good luck

Tags
electrical