Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Electrical question (71 Layton TT)

Hi all,

I am new to this TT thing. I have a 71 Layton that I just purchased last week. Had a bit of time to open the windows and let air in and decided to hook it up to the power socket of my truck. Nothing seemed to have power on the inside. I found the breaker box and both the switches were on. I checked the battery box outside and it was empty. Would I be correct to guess that without the battery installed, no power to the inside event if hooked up to an outside source???

Tony in NM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #2

You should have a power cord somewhere on the exterior of your trailer to hook up to shore power (110 v). Plug that in, and you should have lights and live outlets, because the 110 volt AC power should go to your converter and be converted thereby to 12 volts to power your lights and water pump and the 110 will remain unchanged for things like TV, microwave and wall sockets.

Notice the use of the word should. You should not (but still may) need the battery in place to complete the circuit for your 12 volt system, even if the battery is dead or ruined. The connection to your truck (via cigarette lighter, I assume) may not work because 12 volt DC power is very susceptible to line loss- the longer the 12v power cord, the less power you transmit (loss is negligible for AC voltage). Not the same as a battery in place.

Try finding your power cord and plugging it in first- see what happens. You may have a labeled switch somewhere that you flip for shore power or battery power.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #3

Like HB said. Go to your Convertor and make sure the MAIN switch for power is in correct position.

It should have/say "off, 12volt, 120volt" or some language as such, to let the owner/operator know where the switch needs to be selected to for proper operation.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

Are you certain that your truck is actually supplying power? Many trucks have the fuse for that line omitted when shipped from the factory.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #5

Maybe this a me being new to this, but I plugged the line from the front of the Trailer into the back bumper of the truck (as where one connects for brake lights, brakes). I thought that that line would supply power to the inside of the trailer. I guess it doesn't?

I have the shore line, but don't see any switch that indicates shore or battery. The battery box (located outside on the side) seems small for a regular batter so I assume camper batteries (aka Deep Cycle) are smaller than auto batteries.

Sorry being so dumb on these. I got a reprint of the manual, but it doesn't mention of of this.

Tony in NM
Old 05-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #6

It is a 02 Lincoln Blackwood (pickup). Taillights and turn signals are working. Would they not be on the same circuit as power to the trailer??

Tony
Old 05-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #7

Where might I locate the "Convertor"? I took time and looked the trailer over inside and out today and didn't see any sort of switch as you mentioned. The only thing I found (as I said before) was nothing had power on the inside and the battery box was empty. So if the truck and supply power from the back bumper, then I assumed the batter had to be in place.

Tony
Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #8

Thanks

BTW thanks to all you guys for your information and help. I would be lost otherwise.

Tony
Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #9

Assuming that you have the standard 7 pim Bargman connector, pin 4 should be supplying power to the trailer. However, there is usually a dedicated fuse in the truck just for that line. That fuse is usually not installed by the factory. See if you have power om pim 4.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
That pin #4 is for charging the battery in the towed trailer, not to supply the trailer with power, as it is way to light gage for that! You need to find the power cord for the 110v power as you plug into the CG for power. It goes to the converter, and gets converted to 12v power for the lights and ect. Follow the wire into the TT, it will lead you to the converter. First you need a house battery, as the others have said, to complete the circuit! And do not worry, there are no dumb question's as you are learning, as we all had to at one time or the other! Rail!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #11

Check your hall way closets for the converter, it may be mounted behind the screwed on vented cover close to the floor.

If you are hooking up shore power without a house battery installed, be sure the battery connections are not touching each other or any other metal parts.

Best of luck
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #12

Also the truck 12v wire may connect to the in trailer 12v wires at the battery post. With the battery removed there may be no connection.

Tags
electrical