Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:57 AM   #1

Electrical question, 78 dodge class c

Ok I have been stumped on this one.

I have paperwork on this rv (in fact I have the original George boy mfg owners manual)

The information I have shows they had the kohler generator installed at the factory and it was a 2.5kw with remote start (it is no longer in the rv, sad to say) but the isolator system is still there. The wiring from aux battery was factory installed as well.

So in this picture the wiring (from the book), the dotted lines are there as well.

So going from this diagram does it look like the running engine (ignition terminal), is the only way to feed the converter, aside from the ac?

I am confused. I have not found the location of the solenoid. I did find paperwork for the installation of a higher power alternator (I have a spare as well) and paperwork for a Solid state dual Battery protector (installed in 7/6/1990)

So would it be possible that its under the stove cabinet? The converter and generator isolation switch and fuses for the camper are under there. (I can't see on the other side of the isolation switch and the breaker panel for the generator. I did find that the screws for the oven have been removed and replaced that hold the oven in. So would this be a logical place for those components to also be. There is some space back there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

From your description and the parts install you mention.
The solid state dual battery protector ( isolator ) was probably installed to replace the solenoid, and would operate without an ignition feed, if it's anything like the ones I install in years past.

The convertor would have 12v outputs only , battery volts don't do anything there , that would require a, converter/inverter/charger or the installation of a separate inverter to supply any A/C power into the coach systems.

Attached is a picture showing a dual battery isolator set up, it's used to charge both batteries , chassis and coach from the alternator , and prevent one battery from draining the other when parked , using coach systems.
The red handled switch on the wire connecting the batteries , would be a manual battery interconnect for emergency starting the engine.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

Sky,

First, what you have a Georgie Boy / Dodge, but believe me, Dodge won't have any idea what is going on here.

Do you actually now have separate main engine and house batteries?? If you do, good. Then Skip's idea is where to start.

You also are in the running for the worst electrical diagram I have seen in many years. For starters, the 115V receptacles should not be supplied from the converter.

There is no reason for the DC parts to be near the AC parts. But if you can find the converter, that would be a good place to start. You should try to find as much as you can and take lots of pictures. Then get a Dropbox account and put the pictures there so we can all look at them. Get as many tags as you can.

This should not be tough once you can get the information out to people that can help.

Matt
Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

I l
know where the converter is, but i can't find is the isolator or solonoid. The main key energies rear power, but i can't find the link Between them. unless the key is on the rear power is off (aside from plugged in of course. I am great with electric, and honestly it's not that bad. I have seen car audio install with worse design. Anyhow. What I am just trying to do is be able to add a switch to allow the current opperation. As normal or complete rear off or manual override rear on no key switch needed. I feel it's something I need to do. I just have not found the isolator or solonoid. I only mention the isolator /battery protector because in my papers I have a bill and installation charges from 7/6/90 and a crude sketch Showing original wiring and a written on sketch from the installer with no real useable notes. Not of the pictures tell me where the parts are. My only clue is the coach fuel and converter are under the stove and counter. I just can't see the solonoid or isolator anywhere (but i can't see behind the auto transfer switch And breakers. Also the stove has been removed in the past I found evidence of screws being replaced And even a few lost screws that made it down under the stove. So with all the experience out there would it be common to put that stuff all in the same place? If so I will remove the stove
Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Woops I should have also stated that the ac line is not actually comming of the converter I believe the factory wiring diagram is just wrong. I can see the breakers for it and they don't go to the converter box
Old 04-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Sky,

Sorry I don't have the time to get by here more often.

Do you know if the 7/6/90 job put in a solenoid or a diode isolator? (I know it says isolator, but I will get to that later.)
There will be the big B+ lead coming off the alternator that goes to the battery and the isolator has to be along that line. It should be pretty obvious and they seem to end up in the engine box somewhere.

Another note. Just because you have the invoice, that does not mean the the installed parts are still installed. I work on boats (or did before the depression shut the work down) and often find that things have been removed, disconnected or disabled by someone along the way and not everybody's maintenance logs are complete.

Good Luck guy,

Matt

Tags
class c, dodge, electrical