Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Elio Toad

Anyone else planning on using an Elio as a toad?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
I wouldn't make any definite plans, since this vehicle is yet to be produced, in a yet to determined plant location, from yet to be purchased tooling, by yet to be hired employees, meeting yet to be certified safety standards.

A lot of if and maybe and missed production deadlines surround this project!!!

Old 01-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I wouldn't make any definite plans, since this vehicle is yet to be produced, in a yet to determined plant location, from yet to be purchased tooling, by yet to be hired employees, meeting yet to be certified safety standards.

A lot of if and maybe and missed production deadlines surround this project!!!
Plant location is secured, has been for quite some time. Old GM equipment acquired in the plant deal is already being sold off. Tooling is secured as well. No safety standards beyond those for a motorcycle are required, as it is classified as such. Although, they are designing it to receive an automotive 5-star crash rating.

Missed production deadlines? Absolutely. When was the last time a NEW automotive mfg was launched in the U.S.? DeLorean? Formed in 1975, first production DMC-12 model year was 1981. Those cars were great, but you couldn't keep the right side off the shoulder, they loved those white lines.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Missed production deadlines? Absolutely. When was the last time a NEW automotive mfg was launched in the U.S.? DeLorean? Formed in 1975, first production DMC-12 model year was 1981. Those cars were great, but you couldn't keep the right side off the shoulder, they loved those white lines.
Ummm...Tesla Motors? I agree with what you say about the Elio, however - wait until you can see them in a showroom near you. Hopefully, no white lines... Deloreans were, to my recollection, produced in Northern Ireland.

A neighbor in Alaska had one - always parked in his driveway. He entered a contest, and WON another - two Deloreans parked in the driveway. At least they didn't rust.

There have been many 3-wheel "cars" set to go to production, such as the "Sparrow", with very, very few that actually made it.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Ummm...Tesla Motors? I agree with what you say about the Elio, however - wait until you can see them in a showroom near you. Hopefully, no white lines... Deloreans were, to my recollection, produced in Northern Ireland.

A neighbor in Alaska had one - always parked in his driveway. He entered a contest, and WON another - two Deloreans parked in the driveway. At least they didn't rust.

There have been many 3-wheel "cars" set to go to production, such as the "Sparrow", with very, very few that actually made it.
That's right, DeLorean's were produced in Ireland. So from the end of WWII, Tesla and Tucker?? And like the DeLorean, very low production numbers. Elio is projecting 250k units per year in the future.

They've generated a substantial amount of capital; enough that they ended the 50% bonus incentive for eager placeholders.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #6

Elio Toad

Not sure how you would Toad it? Very light. Low. Much debris damage. Lots of bouncing.
I'm thinkin trailer it.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #7

I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for these to get built!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Six Things That Could Kill Elio Motors Before It Even Launches
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
bap

this thread makes me miss my DeLorean...THAT I didn't buy, bought a scirroco instead,,,,just because it was faster,,,
Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

I will be amazed if they ever go into production...
I will be interested in them when they actually come off the assembly line
Old 01-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are looking forward to owning one next year, if indeed they begin production. We are around #2500 on the list.

I have been looking around for an aluminum trailer to haul both Elio and our Indian Scout, which I m expecting sometime this spring. We will be towing the Scout this summer as our toad(with a small motorcycle trailer), and hopefully both Elio and Scout the summer after with the aluminum trailer.. The combined weight of both is around 2000lb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indian.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	82928  
Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #12

if it does get built expect a price around 1 and a half to 2 times the advertised price. I say this based on other new companies actual release price compared to their prerelease press price.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
state of ct will says it is not a car or a bike will not let it be licenced at this time ???
Old 01-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
state of ct will says it is not a car or a bike will not let it be licenced at this time ???
Most states will license it as a motorcycle, without the requirement for a helmet even if they have a MC helmet law. The Elio legal team has been very busy working with states to change the requirements where necessary.

Tags
toad