Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #15

X2. I had a '83 Winnie with a 454 carb engine. Several magazines articles called this the secret fuel filter. I carried a supply, and would change the filter at the slightest suggestion of a "stumble" when driving up a slight grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombstoneJim View Post
Those 454's have a very small fuel filter and it does not take much to reduce its flow. Having to back off the accelerator is a classic sign of fuel starvation. Which also cause the engine to go lean and ping. I used to carry to spare fuel filters with my 454 and changed them every oil change.

It is in the frame passinger side about 5 feet behind the front wheel.

The other classic problem with 454's is bad ignition wires. If they are more than 3 or 4 years old I would change them out.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
X2. I had a '83 Winnie with a 454 carb engine. Several magazines articles called this the secret fuel filter. I carried a supply, and would change the filter at the slightest suggestion of a "stumble" when driving up a slight grade.
I found the best thing to do with those little quadrajet filters was remove them completely and install a bigger inline filter in it's place.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nobody has mentioned the EGR valve, it's job is to cool the combustion chamber
and if it does not work pinging and hesitation is a result.
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
This fuel filter you are talking about, is it the one in the carb right where the fuel line screws in.??

I have a 454 and it has a big screw on fuel filter/water separator back at the fuel pump
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
OP has a 1984 - likely there is no emissions stuff on it
Mine seems to crank hard but fires off almost instantly, I have not checked yet, (too many other things pop up), but I suspect my timing is a tad too advanced
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Mine seems to crank hard but fires off almost instantly, I have not checked yet, (too many other things pop up), but I suspect my timing is a tad too advanced
With to much timing at start up the engine will crank very slow or even stall during start.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #21

well let me put in my 2 cents worth... I got a 85 winnie bago elandan 454 motor..when you turn off the motor it kept on running and the pinging sound.. I agree with these guys about the timming needs to be set...my old 85 model 454 kept up with the 200 k dollars rigs on the road. we talking 75 to 80 mph on the interstate... I would have it checked out be fore replacing any thing...
nanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Ya usually retard timing helps in engine start.. I would still have it checked. While your doing that, make sure the timing marks on the balancer are correct. The outer ring could have slipped..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #23

Ditto on the fuel filter in the carb and also pop the cap and rotor off and check the mechanical advance to make sure it is moving freely... A little lube on the weights keeps them from locking into full advance
Good luck !!! Lots of good advice folks
Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The starter may be weak. Is it also hard to start when the engine is hot, like when you shut it down when fueling? Typical starter on its last legs.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #25

I'll try this again as my message keeps being refused as "not signed in" when I am signed in which is showing at the top of this page. Really frustrating!

I am overwhelmed at the response I have received from those suggesting ways to correct my problem. All were useful suggestions and noted.

I am going to test this reply before possibly wasting more time adding an after thought (observation). If this goes through I will be right back.
nakoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
It worked.. Though I notice your time is different than mine..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #27

There is a notice posted about the site being down for maintenance.

If it is backfiring through the carb,it doesn't take much to damage the needle and seat.That requires a carb rebuild.

Also you bring it to tdc on number one and check the dist rotor to see if it is pointing to number one.If not,timing chain slop or the timing chain it jumped one tooth is the problem.Need a new timing chain and gear set.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #28

Just a thought but I remember having an intermitant missing, occasional backfiring and what sounded like pinging under acceleration on two of my old mid 80's GM's. I havn't seen this problem in a long time but what happend to both my engines was the cam shafts had not hardened properly and the lobes wore down prematurely.