Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #29

Sorry. I just reread my post and realized I gave incomplete information. The "Secret" fuel filter on the GM P-chassis is inside the frame rail approximately halfway between the fuel tank and engine. It's an in-line filter about 5 in. long. My '83 carburator 454 Winnie had the filter, as does my '99 454 Vortec Safari Trek, so it was used for many years on the GM gas chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
This fuel filter you are talking about, is it the one in the carb right where the fuel line screws in.??

I have a 454 and it has a big screw on fuel filter/water separator back at the fuel pump
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #30

Last year, my in tank fuel pump was not getting turned on by the oil pressure switch. I experienced backfiring and no power on the hills. I could not accelerate quickly but it was drive-able. I had no ping with this problem. That sounds like a timing issue
Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #31

Exclamation

Now lets see.............on the page before this.........I said to check the timing chain.............by the way,have you checked the timing chain?........Hey I got a idea,why don't you check the timing chain??.Ya know I think it could be the timing chain..
Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #32

Holy crow................Where did he go??.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
Holy crow................Where did he go??.
Has the problem been solved yet??????
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #34

Sorry for the delay in responding. A medium family crises diverted my attention.

I am now trying to find a "good" mechanic to go over everything that was suggested; and yes that will include the timing chain. Finding a GOOD mechanic in my area is a problem of its own. May have to go 30 miles to Ventura which I don't like doing for fear of causing engine damage. With some luck that may not be necessary.

I can't say enough to express my appreciation for all the great advice I have been given. In short, you folks are one GREAT bunch of people. Thanks for the interest and the time you gave to help solve my problem. I hope I can return the favor at some future time.

Again a thousand thanks to you all!!! I will update you when this is fixed.

nakoni
nakoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #35

Since your reply this has been bugging me.I "thought" you where asking us questions for "you" to work on it and fix it.So,I'll tell you how it would work out if you came into my shop.You tell me the some web site I have never heard of says this is what is wrong with your RV..................Already we are working off info from people I don't know who hasn't heard the thing run and isn't in front of me.Not my work product.And you want me to spend my time and not charge you extra on that basis.And the guy who is in front of me(you) doesn't know much about what could be wrong.I'm a nice guy,but I am in business to make money from my honest time/labor.So I tell you to save both of us aggravation that I am not interested in this job and thank you for considering us.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm thinking he DID want to figure it out himself, but now no longer has the time due to a family issue..

Least thats what I got out of it..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #37

1984 34' motor home w/454 pinging under load accelerating, with occasional backfire could well be fuel starvation as mentioned B4,Took care of a similar problem with mine( 89 30' 454) by replacing gas cap. That's a long way to suck gas with a 28 yr old engine mounted diaphram pump. I've seen a few older, long M/H with an electric booster pump mounted along with the mid line filter.BTW discussing flat camshaft lobes,& jumped timing chains may have taken things from DIY to " maybe I'll get some professional help" IMHO, Art.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #38

WHOA!!!

The reply from fleamarketer needs replying to. Your statement about being "bugged" was insulting in that you made an erroneous, way off the Mark, judgement about me; my expectations of getting services and time for free, my business ethics and deeply ingrained belief in paying for services and time rendered. I have ALWAYS paid for these, many times insisting when told not to worry about it. Being a business man myself I fully understand that time equals money and it is a great insult for you to suggest otherwise. And any mechanic who is unwilling or offended to listen, consider, and discuss the various suggestions given here is a mechanic who will never get my business. This type has too often proven themselves to be inferior mechanics and they always show "attitude" if one has to return. It also appears to "bug" you that I would finally choose to have a qualified mechanic do the work rather than doing it myself. I don't understand why you consider that relevant but it's not my problem since you're the one "bugged". This brings to mind an earlier reply by someone insisting that the problem is the timing chain, using a know-it-all, my opinion trumps all others, tone, along with shouting type. (I'm going back to see who that was)----Ah yes, reply #31. Now why am I not surprised to see the poster was fleamarketer? That reply illustrates my point. Not to worry. There is no chance you would ever get my business. You not only insult me but all others who have offered their equally knowledgeable suggestions.

To all others who replied: I had one shop try to charge me several hundred dollars to "fix" this problem which never got fixed. Another mechanic wanted to tear apart the upper section of the engine in order to diagnose the problem. That is when I decided to present the problem to this forum, which I feel was a good decision considering the excellent and overall consistent replys. Thanks to you all who have greatly educated me. I will have the ignition wires replaced, as suggested, fuel filters (never knew about the carb filter), check the dist advance and weights (another new one), points, vacuum hoses, gaskets, etc. When finished I will let you know the results---for those interested.

FYI---What I thought was a medium family crisis turned out to be major. My niece, 28, just died from drug overdose. A terrible waste for someone with such a bright future ahead.

I will be back to you soon, I hope

nakoni
nakoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakoni View Post

FYI---What I thought was a medium family crisis turned out to be major. My niece, 28, just died from drug overdose. A terrible waste for someone with such a bright future ahead.

nakoni
Prayers to you and yours...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #40

Prayers to you and your family
Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakoni View Post
The reply from fleamarketer needs replying to. Your statement about being "bugged" was insulting in that you made an erroneous, way off the Mark, judgement about me; my expectations of getting services and time for free, my business ethics and deeply ingrained belief in paying for services and time rendered. I have ALWAYS paid for these, many times insisting when told not to worry about it. Being a business man myself I fully understand that time equals money and it is a great insult for you to suggest otherwise. And any mechanic who is unwilling or offended to listen, consider, and discuss the various suggestions given here is a mechanic who will never get my business. This type has too often proven themselves to be inferior mechanics and they always show "attitude" if one has to return. It also appears to "bug" you that I would finally choose to have a qualified mechanic do the work rather than doing it myself. I don't understand why you consider that relevant but it's not my problem since you're the one "bugged". This brings to mind an earlier reply by someone insisting that the problem is the timing chain, using a know-it-all, my opinion trumps all others, tone, along with shouting type. (I'm going back to see who that was)----Ah yes, reply #31. Now why am I not surprised to see the poster was fleamarketer? That reply illustrates my point. Not to worry. There is no chance you would ever get my business. You not only insult me but all others who have offered their equally knowledgeable suggestions.

To all others who replied: I had one shop try to charge me several hundred dollars to "fix" this problem which never got fixed. Another mechanic wanted to tear apart the upper section of the engine in order to diagnose the problem. That is when I decided to present the problem to this forum, which I feel was a good decision considering the excellent and overall consistent replys. Thanks to you all who have greatly educated me. I will have the ignition wires replaced, as suggested, fuel filters (never knew about the carb filter), check the dist advance and weights (another new one), points, vacuum hoses, gaskets, etc. When finished I will let you know the results---for those interested.

nakoni
First off.Sorry to hear of your loss.

Forty yrs of being in this business.True enough I could have laid the free portion on too thick.But it has happened to us so many times before.The whole point that I was trying to make is a title called "work product".If I venture to follow a path based on my belief what is wrong with the RV and am wrong,then that labor loss is my own.I am confident that those forty yrs is in the best interest of both both the customer and ourselfs with a mechanic's skill set and experience of what is a high percentage of what the issue is.Our return rate is next to nothing is how I judge how well we are doing or not.The limits of a forum like this one can be only be a guess why your RV is acting as it is because the obvious of your not there to see,feel,touch and therefor a good basis to seriously question any suggestions let alone if it is a shop that never heard of this forum before.Not ego at all,but moreover a business paid by time spent which I think makes logical sense that business would want it's own"work product" to base the repair.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #42

Communication and information is important.

So the customer has done some homework and troubleshooting before they take their "product" in for service.

I have been in communications service for 30 years, broken things are broken things, only the parts and service procedures change, the communication does not!

It can be a handi-talkie or a pusher, if it is broken the problem needs to be identified and repaired, does not matter.

If the customer has done some investigation into the symptoms of the problem, maybe some testing and possibly some work, it gives me a clue as to what was done for and to the product.

The customer may be aware of the difficulty in working on the product so they are in a better place to understand my charges to fix what they may have done to the product, or confirm what they claim.

Having a customer that has done their homework allows for a better discussion of the issues as they can communicate with me about the problem, they can understand my questions and can usually answer them with confidance as they are more understanding of what the conversation is about outer than "my thing is not working can you fix it for cheap?"

Worst case scenario is I make additional money un-doing what they did if they messed it up and restore it do as near new as it can be, and they thank me for fixing what they did and I have return customer.

If they were on the right track they may have saved me a lot of time, themselves maybe some money and I have a shorter work time to quickly confirm what they have done and continue.

Again, good communication with the customer will have everyone happy.

If I get upset that the customer was taking my buisness away the customer will pick up on that and take his buisness elsewhere.