Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:29 AM   #1

Hello, I am a researching to find out if anyone has pulled an engine out of a class A, p30 gmc frame (1986), 454 big block.

I found two websites where the engine pull is described in two ways: out the top (and through the RV door), and out the bottom.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions...I have tools and a shop.

Also is there a 4 (or 5) speed tranny that could replace the 3 speed we currently have.

Thanks, HEMI

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2005, 07:29 AM   #2

Hello, I am a researching to find out if anyone has pulled an engine out of a class A, p30 gmc frame (1986), 454 big block.

I found two websites where the engine pull is described in two ways: out the top (and through the RV door), and out the bottom.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions...I have tools and a shop.

Also is there a 4 (or 5) speed tranny that could replace the 3 speed we currently have.

Thanks, HEMI

Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hemi,

What body manufacture is on your chassis?We have a pace arrow in here right now & were able to dismantle the front of the coach to remove & install the engine.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Thanks, It is an 86 Holiday Rambler class A. Yes, I have heard that another way to remove the engine is to dismantle the front bringing the engine through the front...do you have to dismantle suspension etc?

Currently there is nothing wrong with the engine--the RV has 67,000 miles on it. However, to improve power, mileage and possibly to use a 4 or 5 speed tranny I would like to consider to replace the engine etc. I use to do a lot of engine swaps (hotrod days, 50s) and thus feel I could do it.

What engine are you installing...crate or rebuilt? also what kind of tranny (3 speed or 4?) ... also I would like to consider EFI over the carb ... do you have any comments.

Thanks, Hemi
Old 11-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We do quite a few engine swaps on class A coaches here.This one is a 454 crate rebuilt GM,We have also done 502's.As far as the EFI unit's the edelbrock unit seems to work the best.We did not have to remove any suspension on the coach we are doing now,but we do on the new W series Workhorse chassis.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I had a 1984 P30 that had the engine taken out the front, just a small piece of fiberglass had to be removed along with the grill and all the mechanical, no suspension parts.

I'm assuming the 3 speed is a turbo 400, there are electronic 4 speeds available but would require some electronics added to control them. Probably be easier to look at an over/under drive unit fitted behind the turbo 400 like a gear vendors unit.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #7

Tom, thanks on the over/under drive unit. I searched on the web and came up with what I think you are talking about; see:

http://www.lightruck.com/other_overu...pplication.asp

See the entry: "Pick-ups, vans, Suburbans ('73-'87), big block engines '88-'90 Crew-Cabs/
Suburbans*"

Is this something that connects at the tailend of the T400 tranny? Do you think there would be any modification of the drive shaft to make room for the part?

Is it correct that this basically gives an overdrive to the transmission? I am looking for something like this to improve mileage...currently i get around 7.5 to 8 mpgal. Any rough guess on what improvement in mileage might occur?

Thanks....IVER (Hemi)
Old 11-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #8

BRAZELSRV
Thanks, if I were closer (I am in Florida) I would visit your shop. Actually we bought the 86 HR motorhome in OR in April and then drove it to FL--we had no trouble but the unit was pretty much gut-less over steep grades...also mileage was not good (7-8 mpgal).

We are in OR/WA about every couple of years...we will visit your shop the next time we are in the Pacific Northwest.
How do you feel about 454 crate versus new? Is the crate rebuilt long block or short block?

Iver
Old 11-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Iver,

The crate rebuilt is a long block,chevrolet is starting to discontinue the new 454 crate motor for motorhome chassis.We like to use 502's in the carb. coaches,for more low end torque.Come by the next time your in this neck of the woods.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #10

Thanks on 502; I just looked it up...

http://www.macmaster.on.ca/bbcrate.htm

I am assuming that motormounts are the same...when the time comes I will have another look. Yes, we will try to see you on our next trip....Iver

ok, just found your website...looks like full service:
http://www.brazelsrv.com/index.shtml