Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Engine shuts off when driving!!!

I was driving thru Texas today and stopped at a gas station to get a drink. When I got off the freeway the engine died. I though I might have hit something, so I got my drink and went on my way. When I got off the freeway again to park for the night it did it again. It only seems to do it when decelerating. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I have only ran 3 tanks of fuel thru the new filters, and changed the fuel pump about 1000 miles ago. Im going to try some sea foam in the fuel and see if that helps. I sure hope its not the injector pump.

TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Taxing my old memory here, but I seem to remember there is something in the pump to prevent stalling when you decelerate. Been a looong time since I worked on one of these. I'll look on the web and see if I can find a diagram of the pump.

Found a diesel website that you might be interested in. www.dieseldoctor.com.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

Well we broke down on the side of the road in New Mexico. I cracked the output fuel line from the filter and got diesel everywhere so the pump is not the prob. then I cracked 2 of the injector lines and cranked the engine and not even a drop of fuel came out. Im thinking the IP. I'll probably have it towed to a shop to get it worked on. Cause I don't have the tools to time the engine once I get the new IP. Anyone know of any good mechanics in Hobbs New Mexico?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to replace the injection pump yourself to save some bucks, just line up the factory timing marks. That will get you close enough then you can have a diesel shop fine tune it for you later.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #5

I never did find a diagram of the pump. If my failing memory is correct there should be a cover on the top of the pump, I think the wire to activate the solenoid is on this cover. There should be some screws in the cover. Take them off and there should be a lever in there to let fuel into the pump. I think (dangerous) you can move this manually and then crank the engine to see if fuel comes out of an injector line.
Could be the coil in the solenoid is bad, it is an electromagnetic IIRC. If you have a DVOM you can do a draw test on the coil and see if it is drawing current.
I'm trying to get ahold of my friend who also was a diesel mechanic.

If this doesn't do it you probably have a worn pump head which is not uncommon. I worked for the Coty Of Phoenix for 21 years in the shops as a mechanic, then a Foreman. At one time the powers that be decided Jet A fuel was cleaner so we used that. It caused severe wear to the pump heads. We had many pumps rebuilt with an "Artic" pump head and this solved the problem. Jet A did not lubricate as well as #2 diesel. Could your cooking oil be causing the same problem? I am unsure about this. We mixed some atf with the Jet A until we changed pump heads.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #6

We made it to the mechanic today. He said it was the IP that is probably bad. So he is in the process of trying to find one. I'll let you all no if that fixes the prob.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

Where are you at in New Mexico??
Old 09-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Veggie oil should do a better lube job than the diesel fuel we are getting at the pump now. Many ford powerstroke owners (probably other brands also) are running a high percentage of various oil mixes including commercial Bio-fuel without apparently experiencing problems other than cold weather
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #9

We are in edgewood just outside of Albuquerque right now. We broke down in Hobbs NM. We broke down again. The alternator is putting out 18 volts and frying my batts. which leads to the engine shutting off.