Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #43
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vette Racer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Vette Racer
Thanks for your careful analysis...it is a mystery...I am testing each cyl (removing plug wire, one at a time, now. Is using transmission fluid a variation on the seafoam treatment discussed above.
Also, I mentioned seafoam to a neighbor down the street...he said that slowly adding water down the carb is the same as seafoam. Actually I am pretty nervous about the proposed seafoam treatment as I don't wish to create another problem.

I will be back with my results....removing plug wires,

Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #44
I have sprayed water down the intake. I was told by a old head mechanic it makes steam the burns off the carbon.
I sprayed it in running at 2500 to 3000 rpm or so . I sprayed enough until the motor speed slowed.
On the dieseling lower the idle or just turn it off in gear. Most dieseling is the motor still running off the red hot carbon. On older motors your only turning off the spark and if something is making the fuel still burn like excessive carbon it will keep running.
If your going to try to adjust the valves its easy. Just back off each one with the motor running until you hear it ticking then tighten it up till it just stops ticking. do all on one side. Turn off the motor and then tighten each one 3/4 a turn. It may run ruff for a few min, but should run smooth. Some say 1/2 a turn but the factory says 1 turn. I been doing 3/4 turn from O lash and I get 200K + out of my rebuilds.

Take a look at spark plugs may have the wrong heat range. Try running a better brand of fuel.
Dont wast your money on poring high doller treatments down the carb.
good luck

1974 Shasta 24 foot class A

bigbusguy@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club

I'm not familiar with the seafoam and the trans fluid is another one of those old tricks to create heat to burn the carbon, I've never tried water but I don't see why it wouldn't work. At least with the trans fluid there is a little lubrication.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #46

I am checking each cyl to detect a change in sound (clack) when I disconnect a spark plug wire, one by one.

I read last night that in doing this I need to ground the spark wire I disconnet. I am assuming that I ground the spark plug wire by running a lead from the wire to the frame or another metal part of the unit, correct? The article said that I could potentially damage electronic ignition if I just let the wire hang loose while I do the test. Correct?

I am old-school person (50s) where we use to check firing by just pulling off the spark plug wire...

Please confirm, thanks, HEMI
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #47
Yes sir, you ground the plug wire with a jumper. Leaving the wire dangling could allow the high voltage spark to jump inside the distributor cap and hit the electronic module, disaster. I have used water as well as most of the other home remidies, but have found that if the snake oil makes it seam better there is a real problem that needs to be addressed.
Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer & The Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel Detroit powered spinning an Allison
Kitty Kat: Earl
Cartrailer with Whitey Ford the Explorer on board.
Navigation: CoPilot 9 Lap top
ASE Master Technician
Brad Sears
nhgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #48
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">nhgeezer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many thanks....I will use a jumper for the test, ...I am going to pass on using the "snake oil" remedy for now...I am pretty sure the cleck-cleck (not ckick click or knock knock) is coming from underneath the valve covers...after I finish the spark plug wire test I will pull off the valve covers and have a look, again, thanks, HEMI
Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #49
Vintage RV Owners Club
Anything new to report?? Updates are needed!!!!
Hope you found the problem and you are getting ready to run down the road!!

1991 Chevy Pickup
1994 5th wheel 30 foot trailer
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote