Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
How about an LS1 swap? They're plentiful in junk yards and pretty cheap ($400 to$600) and I hate to say it but a much more efficient design then the "mouse motor". I also like the idea of buying a complete wrecked truck/suburban to get everything in one package. They make decent power and manifolds are out there to switch over to a carb if you don't want the FI... I have to admit though, the diesel swap is intriguing and would love a 5.9 in our '92 HR...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #16

Arrow

Well I did sign up to The diesel garage site.This is a learning curve that I am under taking here.All the options I have looked at all do not match the solution over the long term of a 5.9 diesel.

I did dug out the build info I had Chevy send me yrs ago for the chassis from their archives.Now the 350 I would think is 500lbs to 550lbs.The 5.9 is in the range of 1,100 lbs.(wow)But given the length of service it does sort of make sense.The lightest service chassis,which is what I think I have,has a front wt rating of 4,300lbs and then has heavy duty options above that to a rating of the front end 5,000lbs.So I do think I could cover the wt increase with a up grade.

Fitments??.Well like any other swap,you have to take out "that greasy shoe horn".I am still waiting to see the dimensions of the 5.9.I wouldn't mind building a new dog house for a opened up dog house opening and/ or designing the dash to relocate the radio and re-routing heater ducts to doing a lift on the body mounts or any combo of the above.

Even with a heavy duty rebuild of the 400 tranny,which I know of a tranny adapter company that could make that work,I still have some doubts that would work for the long term.It is that part that I still need to look at.

The sweet yrs for a affordable vehicle donor 5.9 seems to be in the yr range of 1994 to 1998.5.

The 350 that is in there is 160hp and only 230lbs of torque.Really don't know what GM was thinking with that.Could I build that up??.Sure could.The thing is no matter what gas engine I would use,it still will never match the yrs of service or the fuel mileage that I think a 5.9 would do.So I am thinking this swap with all the work and costs is paying it forward.

So this is still in the early consideration stages and as I find more info,I will post it.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
One of the advantages of a 12 valve 5.9L Cummins in the year range you mention is that they are "mechanical" engines. They don't require any computer input - just a signal to "run" or "shut down" to the 12VDC fuel solenoid. The pre-96 transmission to look for is a 47RH (as opposed to the 47RE, which was introduced in 1996) - the H stands for "hydraulic" controls versus the "electronic" controls of the 47RE, so if you're going to swap and engine/transmission combo, the 12 valve with a 47RH is the simplest way to go from an electronics point of view.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
The 47RH was replaced by the 47RE. (The 4 was the number of gears, including an overdrive; the capacity rating of 7; R for rear wheel drive; and H for hydraulic control, or E for electronic control, though the substitution of “E” for “H” was more of a coding change than an engineering change. The primary difference between the two automatics appears to have been the name, since Chrysler press materials noted that even the 47RE had hydraulic shift control (other than the overdrive, which was electronically activated in both automatics).
The Dodge 47RH and 47RE heavy-duty automatic transmission
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Normally, Allpar is pretty good, but I'd have to question this particular cite as it lists overall gear ratios for the 3.73 and 4.10 rear axles. Unfortunately, the 3.73 axle wasn't offered with the Dana 70 or 80 axles in the 2nd generation Dodges - it was either a 3.54/3.55 or 4.10. Curious....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya, saw that.. but looking around, it looks like most people dont know the differences either.. so cant really blame them.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
NOISE?

That diesel will be plenty noisy sitting right in the passenger compartment. I had a '96 Dodge Cummins, it was mucho mahcho, but was noisy. I have an '06 now, it was pretty quiet until it got broken in. Mileage jumped up and so did the noise. Has crazy power though.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #22

Good luck with it........ I will keep following the build thread and look forward to the finished product......

Not to discourage you but I would stop and take a serious look at the whole thing before you start........This really sounds like it would be a great project but it might be better to freshen up what you have and sell it....put the money toward buying a unit that more suits your needs and just enjoy it. I have seen far too many of these projects started with great intentions, tons of money and time invested and the project never gets finished, life has a tendancy to get in the way...... I speak from experience............ Just my opinion
Mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
The post above referring to an LS1, would be a great choice. The LS1 & tranny would cost around 4K. If you went this route, make sure you get the computer & wiring harness with it. This is the most popular choice for engine mods these days. Depending on which LS? engine, the HP & torque would be the same. Plenty of power for a motor home!.

If you want to do the diesel swap, consider buying a 90 model dodge truck that still runs. With this choice you would have most things needed for the swap. You probably could find one of these for around 2 to 3K. It would be quite a task, and probably would take quite some time to complete.

Please consider all of your options that are available, & make the right choice for you!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #24

One of the diesel sites I have posted on suggested to buy a Chevy framed Dodge 4 cylinder diesel bread truck that would be the same frame mounts as the RV and would give me some of the other basic parts as well.Then to buy a donor 1994 to 1998.5 donor to the 5.9 engine and tranny.The earlier diesels would not have any advantage over my current engine and the same holds true for the 4 cylinder diesels short of the construction diesel engines which have a very short rpm range for torque and hp.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #25

Arrow

I have been looking into this swap with input from a diesel web forum.As it was with a friend of mine for Canada who swapped into a Astro/Safari van a BBC Ram-Jet and people told him no way,it is of course the same with this swap.What my friend Peter did was to cut off right behind the rear door pillars the front of a donor van.With that he use it as a jig to work out the details.

So from the diesel site it has been determined as I said the 4 diesel cylinder bread truck would have the same format as my motor home.It is looking like I would have to do the same thing as Peter.Cut right behind the tranny mount the frame and body front section of the bread truck to use that as a jig to work out the way to get this done.Then have to buy a donor for the engine/tranny.I have thought threw different tranny options and seems the best way to do it is to heavy duty rebuild a dodge 47.

I am sold on the diesel swap.Just consider what it would take to buy new a similar rig.A easy $200,000.

One issue I am having is the rear end gears being 4.10's.I am asking if any one knows of a company that sells gears to a ratio of say 3.40's or less.The build sheet I have from GM said it is a MX1 rear end single wheel 16.5 tire size.

But guys,this isn't just bench racing.It is truly the steps taken to see if it could be make a reality.

Still need your support.

Please and Thank You,

Gary
Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
To locate gears, give these guys a call.
Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.
J
Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #27

I have to side with those saying "why would you not just rebuild the existing motor?" A better built engine from Jasper, etc., will cost just a fraction of a conversion, and will give you an easy bump in performance and longevity. Good rebuilds these days give well over 100,000 miles of service life, and give similar horsepower and torque to those early 5.9's.

I would rebuild or replace the existing engine and use part of the savings to replace/repair/upgrade shocks, bearings, and so forth.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I have to side with those saying "why would you not just rebuild the existing motor?" A better built engine from Jasper, etc., will cost just a fraction of a conversion, and will give you an easy bump in performance and longevity. Good rebuilds these days give well over 100,000 miles of service life, and give similar horsepower and torque to those early 5.9's.

I would rebuild or replace the existing engine and use part of the savings to replace/repair/upgrade shocks, bearings, and so forth.

Steve
He only has 40k on a Chev 350, it's a baby, just change all of the fluids and drive.
J