Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
entrance door

Have a 92 four winds with a entrance door that has rotted wood at the very bottom of the door. one end at bottom the screw won't hold the bottom frame on. the other end has a 1 1/2 inch hole . has anyone ever repaired a entrance door with rotted wood and if so any suggestions about repairing this? The rest of the door is solid, so a new or used door is out of the question, any suggestions and advise is welcome.
thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have the issue you have, although my door is a little warped.
While looking for fixes for my door I found several videos on YouTube that explained how to repair a door with rotted insides. I would suggest you have a look.

windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
ok, I got the door off and in my shop. Its not nearly as bad as first thought. All it will take on the hinged side is 16 inches, and 8 inches on the other side and thats from the bottom up, all the rest even the very bottom, which is covered with metal is in great shape. Since I have a table saw I can cut the size which is 3/4 inch thickness. But now what I need from someone who has "glue" knowledge is what type of glue should I use to glue the wood to the styrofoam? in a small amount can.
thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have repaired and rebuild many of those doors I use PL adheasive on metal to wood and spray contact the one that won't eat the foam on the solid foam surface
Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
thanks Mark for your help again! I know that some glues will melt the foam. I was looking at a spray can of 3M-77,
Mark you have a great last name, for my name is also Anderson!
thanks again for your help
BTW, I applied some lube to the jacks and they all work great
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Happy that worked most of the time there just stiff, that 3M spray is ok to use just look at the can they do make one that is safe for foam and fabrics

Cool on the same last name

If you get stuck on the door just email me at the address in the sig
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Heres an update on entrance door repair. The door wasn't as bad as first thought. I unscrewed the frame, and slide it off. then removed 14 inches of rotted wood from the hindge side. the bottom hindge wasn;t holding anything. then on the latch side I removed 8 inches of rotted wood. all other wood was sound with no damage. Since I do a lot of wood work I have table saws, band saws, turning lathes and most anything to do with woodworking. So I was able to cut the right size wood and I used PT wood. where the new wood frame pieces fitted to the older pieces I did put a 1/8 biscuit to tie them together and sanded down, and fasten new wood frame to the styrofoam with 3M-77 spray glue. the joints are very strong and I foresee no problems with this fixed. I replaced all old screws with new ones and reinstalled the door. this took less then 1 1/2 hrs from taken the door off to the repair and reinstalling the door with all new screws.
a special thanks to Mark Anderson who is on this forum and was very helpful.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks again Glad it worked out good
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #9

Very interesting as our 25 year old entrance door has the usual delamination of the outer fiberglass coming away from the wood & foam. Mainly in a long vertical bulge from below the window all the way down. Plus the inside luan layer is bulging and wavy at the bottom too..

Have been planning on doing this with our general refit and renovation , looking at it will need to do the lower 3/4 of the door.

Glad it all worked and you now have a refurbed door.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
shore2shore, Mine was very easy to take off the coach, just unscrew from hinges. the frame has a few screws holding it to the door. undo those and the frame slides right off (mine it did) the inside of my door covering the styrofoam is what I call "glass board" (we used that inside of freezers and coolers in the grocery business) you can get that at lowes or HD, it is fairly inexpensive, easy to cut and glues on. its white, and washable. I used the 3M-77 spray glue. I also used treated 3/4 inch lumber but you will probably need a table saw to cut the width. it was really very simple and easy. I think the hardest is before beginning not knowing just how it was contructed. but after taking it apart its very simple. good luck on yours, and nightriderrv can be a big help

Tags
door