Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Eternabond for window sealing

I bought the 1" double sided Eternabond tape to reseal my windows. I redid my rear windows today, but noticed that it didn't seem to "fill the gap" in the low spots on the siding. My siding is "rippled". I guess that's what you call it ?? So I guess my questions are: Did i mess up using the Eternabond? Has anyone used this to do their windows? Do I need to pull them back out and use the butyl ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you had used a couple of strips around window frame you might have been all right.
But your bigger problem is if you ever have to remove the frame again if window glass of frame malfunctions.
Windows are resealed with a 1" ribbon tape caulking that will compress to sidewall of coach any RV store will carry it.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #3

i cut 1/2" strips of regular tape and made them long enough to go across the top outside of the windows. i cut the ends at a sharp angle so it blended in to the vinyl trim and makes it hardly noticeable. i also cut 1/4" strips to fit on the bottom of the glass where the glass meets the vinyl trim. i have seen water leak down into the vinyl trim like that on boats. it works for me. i did this from day one ,and hope not to see water problems
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
After looking at it today, I think the windows sealed fine, even in the low spots. The problem was the "overflow" out from around the other edges. I got most of the big stuff off, but I've definetly got to get it cleaner around the edges. Hopefully acetone will take it off.

One thing is for certain, if the windows ever need to come out, I'm pretty sure the wall will rip apart first.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Eternabond tape is great, but not thick enough to use to seal a window. The best thing is still the butyl tape.

ken
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

I used the double stick eterna bond do to my windows and entrance door. On the larger windows I did two layers of tape. On the smaller windows I just rolled it in half to make it just as thick as two layers. Everyone is worried about having to remove the window, if its not leaking why worry about removing it. If it breaks or does have to be removed a little heat and it can be removed. People have been using butyl for years and it will eventually fail thats why I went this way.
JKaz
Old 04-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz442 View Post
Everyone is worried about having to remove the window, if its not leaking why worry about removing it. If it breaks or does have to be removed a little heat and it can be removed. People have been using butyl for years and it will eventually fail thats why I went this way.
JKaz
Thats what I was thinking when I decided to go this route. I was thinking about folding the tape in half (to double up) when I do the next window. I put a thick bead of eternabond caulk around the very inner edge to help seal it also. I figure between the tape and caulk, it has to be sealed.

My biggest issue so far is cleaning off the excess that oozes out of the edges. I can't get it off !!!!